Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

KM lands new job with English football club (ed. Chef Wendy)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2018

ColinTat said:

Losses were £14 million? Significantly higher than any other club being run on a similar financial footing in the champ.

After the June 30 deadline for 15-16 accounts they received cash to the tune of +6.1M for the sale of Gudmundson, Pope, Cousins, etc. This was listed in the notes to financial statements. This will show up in the 2016-17 accounts due in April. Also, the sale of Lookman, which appears to be between £9-10M, will also show up in those same accounts. Meaning that accounts for 2016-17 might well show a.... profit.

And to correct you, operating losses for CAFC in 15-16 were LOWER than the average Championship club that season. The operating loss at CAFC was minus £12.8M and the average in the Championship was -£14.2M. These two data points were even listed in the official release of results in April. You can look it up.

For someone looking at her financial resume, they will see losses of £13.5M one year (very average result for The Championship) contained and brought down to break even, and maybe even profitability the following year, all while being relegated. There are owners bad enough to find that impressive. And obviously, she found one. If SW did not hire her, I bet others were in line to do so.

You are arguing with me for reasons I do not understand. I simply said that there are owners who would find her CV attractive. I was correct. Obviously, because she got the job, LOL. Whether they should or not is not relevant to my point.
    What was the average turnover on which this average operating loss was incurred? How did this compare with Charlton’s turnover in 15/16?

You can argue that this was offset by 16/17 transfer income but that won’t affect the operating loss. The players can only be sold once.
    Yes, that is EXACTLY how someone rational would see it. I see it that way, also. As a percent of turnover the losses are poor. But so are most clubs below the PL.

Selling good players is swapping one asset (a player) for another asset (cash.) A rational person would not see that as a "profit" at all. In fact, I look at it as cannibalizing one's assets. And you are right that the transfer well is running drier by the window.

But... there are many, many owners who are NOT rational. Football is littered with irrational people who neither know how to make money nor bring success on the pitch. So many in fact, that people like KM don't have trouble finding work. Football seems to take the "Peter Principle" to its ultimate level.

I am not saying I think she did a good job. I am saying OTHER owners might see it that way. And clearly... at least one has.

• Options
    I wonder if the Massive will enjoy watching the 'Premiership stars of tomorrow' as they produce footballers to balance the books?

And remember they're not just getting Katrien here, but a host of know how from the Belgian lower leagues, Thomas Driesen and his playstation and best of all Uncle Roly is just a phone call away!
  • Options
    Couple of threads about KM and the broader context still on Owlstalk. They are really in the sh*t. Maybe just realising it but the OP in this thread seems to sum it up nicely- https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/265615-the-final-straw/
  • Options
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/charlton/15801733.Duchatelet_prepared_to_lower_asking_price_for_Charlton_as_takeover_talks_continue/

Cheery article from Newshopper who report that the Meire resignation came as a surprise to Duchatelet. Newshopper did break the news that Meire had another Job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It looks like a chairman and CEO partnership made in heaven.
  • Options

I've been told, (reasonably reliable source) that her pitch to her new employer was:

1. She is one tough negotiator

2. She drove down the cost base.

Since I have had over 24 hours to stop spluttering, whereas you lot are having your breakfasts, I'll just leave that there for you to digest....

There may be some truth in the first one. Apparently Roger Johnson wanted a 5 year contract, second time around ;-)
  • Options
    How far can she go in football? If it's based on ego alone I can see her as CEO of Man Utd or perhaps head of the FA.

Being absolutely f***ing useless hasn't proved a barrier so far. I'm sure she'll get more new friends at Sheff Wednesday.

• Options

Couple of threads about KM and the broader context still on Owlstalk. They are really in the sh*t. Maybe just realising it but the OP in this thread seems to sum it up nicely- https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/265615-the-final-straw/

Interesting post.
  • Options
    I wonder how long it will be before that Sheffield fan will be back on this site? (Piggy something?).

I am not a betting man but I am very tempted to put a bet on their relegation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018

According to sky sports....
    http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11703/11192035/ex-charlton-chief-katrien-meire-appointed-ceo-at-sheffield-wednesday

Addicks boss Karl Robinson said he was in tears when Meire, who was also given a role on the FA Council in 2016, announced her exit to Charlton staff, as potential takeover talks continue at The Valley.

Tears of joy...

Think Sky should have said she and not he! as:

Addicks boss Robinson told News Shopper: “Katrien was in tears when she broke the news to staff [at the training ground]. I believe it was the same when she was at the Valley.

The News Shopper is not noted for the quality of its journalism but on this occasion probably quoted KR correctly.

• Options
    Thinking about it, it's not that different to industry in general. Once you are on that "CEO bandwagon" you are made for life. Look how many times a CEO has failed at one big company, been given a huge compensation cheque when shown the door, and then popped up six weeks later at another big company. Nice work if you can get it...
  • Options
    Uboat said:

I've spent so long on Owlstalk in the last 24 hours I've gone from laughing at them to genuinely feeling sorry for them.

Yes, you wouldn’t wish it on anyone really..
  • Options
    I wonder if she will be allowed to roll in to Hillsborough half an hour before kick off as she did many times in SE7? Or start her working day at 11 and go home at 4?
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Trump as USA President

Meire gets a bigger football job.

Fucking world’s gone mad. Laughable. Shocking. Depressing. Outrageous. Bonkers.

Though on the positive side, it means I was successful in my application for "world's king"
  • Options
    A bit gutted about this. Will be visiting Wednesday for JS research. He had a really successful time there winning two League title medals in a row as captain, in probably their most successful era. Won't any support from her, as we know her views on football history. Feel sorry for The Owls, a great old club.
  • Options
    So funny that the threads about her have gone. It's started....