Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

KM lands new job with English football club (ed. Chef Wendy)

Comments

• Options
    The modern day football owner is a strange and remote figure, this appointment is another nail in the coffin for me of a sport that I am rapidly losing interest.... I
  • Options

LuckyReds said:

Jokes aside, there appear to be some interesting parallels here, and I think Katrien's appointment is beginning to make a bit of sense.

Exactly what I stated the other day before we knew where she was landing. In terms of profits and loss, CAFC did better than many clubs financially under her reign of terror due to selling players for nice profits. And many (most?) owners of clubs below the PL care more about not losing a lot of money than they do winning. Her move to an owner like this makes total sense to me. I bet she actually had more than one offer to choose from.
    Where are your figures?????
    Don't get him started
  • Options
    Here you go... for the last season available. Although this is only for the Championship, it is very logical to guess that losses (at least as percentage of turnover) are at least as bad down here. The fact that the lower the league, the higher the chance of administration, it is quite likely L1 clubs look even worse that this.... compare CAFC to the losses by these clubs and you can guess there is a demand for her services by more than one club. I am not saying I agree with that strategy, but I accept it as common.

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/national/football-finance-championship-club-by-club-2015-16
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I simply stated the obvious, that with most owners wanting to limit losses more than losing money while climbing the leagues, and CAFCs losses appearing to be be less than most clubs below the PL, some owners would find her interesting. It was my prediction before the Sheffield Wed announcement that certain owners would want her resume on that front alone and my prediction was proven correct. She has landed at a club where the owner wants to "run it like a business." Fans? Success? I contend many, many owners don't care about that. She has found her level. Twice. I think she will remain in football for many years to come. Whether I like that or not is meaningless for I don't own the clubs that keep hiring her.
  • Options
    On a brighter note....

Is it possible to lay a bet on Sheff Wed going down NEXT season, now? If so, what are the odds? Might be worth a few bucks. I think the odds are quite high it happens.
  • Options

On a brighter note....

Is it possible to lay a bet on Sheff Wed going down NEXT season, now? If so, what are the odds? Might be worth a few bucks. I think the odds are quite high it happens.

Doubt they're advertising odds for that yet, but most bookies will offer you a price if you ask them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a lot of good Wednesday mates.

I don't think they fully appreciated the venom I had for the squirrel. They'll soon now appreciate it.

I hope the Wednesday fans will not be as soft with her as we were. I very much doubt it.
  • Options
    No manager. Meire to choose the next boss.

£10 placed on Wednesday to get relegated at 35/1
  • Options
    Glad she has gone. Good luck to Wednesday. If she ignores their fans and sponsors the same way she did ours then they are in for a treat. Will be interesting to see if she has learnt anything from her time with us, I suspect she may have learnt to have a PR person do all her speaking for her.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised if Mr Rubashow (sp) showed up there soon
  • Options

Isn't he on secondment from Pitch? I assume he'd go back there. I'm sure the last thing he'd want to do is to waste any more of his time trying to keep Daisy's feet out of her mouth!
  • Options
    WSS said:

She’s going to Simon Francis us isn’t she?

She was Charltonised
  • Options
    Only in the insular world of football does abject failure get rewarded with a new contract. Good riddance, I hope the day she returns with Wednesday she gets the abuse she is long overdue. One down, one to go.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Isn't he on secondment from Pitch? I assume he'd go back there. I'm sure the last thing he'd want to do is to waste any more of his time trying to keep Daisy's feet out of her mouth!
    Jobs for life are hard to come by these days..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The marathon manager interviewing bonanza has already started.

Katrien has just finished her 37th interview of the day.

Fully expect Carol Fraeye to be sitting in the dugout next game.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

I simply stated the obvious, that with most owners wanting to limit losses more than losing money while climbing the leagues, and CAFCs losses appearing to be be less than most clubs below the PL, some owners would find her interesting. It was my prediction before the Sheffield Wed announcement that certain owners would want her resume on that front alone and my prediction was proven correct. She has landed at a club where the owner wants to "run it like a business." Fans? Success? I contend many, many owners don't care about that. She has found her level. Twice. I think she will remain in football for many years to come. Whether I like that or not is meaningless for I don't own the clubs that keep hiring her.

She has failed to run Charlton as a business - it's been badly run, loses money and has become less valuable. You'd have to be a lunatic to employ her.
    And I think there are plenty out there. She found one. We are saddled with another. They are everywhere. Coventry, etc.
  • Options
    In her credit, "“This is a massive challenge at a massive club and I am looking forward to beginning this journey."

Is probably the best thing she's ever said.
  • Options

The marathon manager interviewing bonanza has already started.

Katrien has just finished her 37th interview of the day.

Fully expect Carol Fraeye to be sitting in the dugout next game.

They seem to think its going to be Paul Lambert until the end of the season .
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    ColinTat said:

Losses were £14 million? Significantly higher than any other club being run on a similar financial footing in the champ.

After the June 30 deadline for 15-16 accounts they received cash to the tune of +6.1M for the sale of Gudmundson, Pope, Cousins, etc. This was listed in the notes to financial statements. This will show up in the 2016-17 accounts due in April. Also, the sale of Lookman, which appears to be between £9-10M, will also show up in those same accounts. Meaning that accounts for 2016-17 might well show a.... profit.

And to correct you, operating losses for CAFC in 15-16 were LOWER than the average Championship club that season. The operating loss at CAFC was minus £12.8M and the average in the Championship was -£14.2M. These two data points were even listed in the official release of results in April. You can look it up.

For someone looking at her financial resume, they will see losses of £13.5M one year (very average result for The Championship) contained and brought down to break even, and maybe even profitability the following year, all while being relegated. There are owners bad enough to find that impressive. And obviously, she found one. If SW did not hire her, I bet others were in line to do so. Heck, not only did she get a job, she moved up a league. I don't like it any more than you, but I am not at all surprised she did.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

ColinTat said:

Losses were £14 million? Significantly higher than any other club being run on a similar financial footing in the champ.

After the June 30 deadline for 15-16 accounts they received cash to the tune of +6.1M for the sale of Gudmundson, Pope, Cousins, etc. This was listed in the notes to financial statements. This will show up in the 2016-17 accounts due in April. Also, the sale of Lookman, which appears to be between £9-10M, will also show up in those same accounts. Meaning that accounts for 2016-17 might well show a.... profit.

And to correct you, operating losses for CAFC in 15-16 were LOWER than the average Championship club that season. The operating loss at CAFC was minus £12.8M and the average in the Championship was -£14.2M. These two data points were even listed in the official release of results in April. You can look it up.

For someone looking at her financial resume, they will see losses of £13.5M one year (very average result for The Championship) contained and brought down to break even, and maybe even profitability the following year, all while being relegated. There are owners bad enough to find that impressive. And obviously, she found one. If SW did not hire her, I bet others were in line to do so.

You are arguing with me for reasons I do not understand. I simply said that there are owners who would find her CV attractive. I was correct. Obviously, because she got the job, LOL. Whether they should or not is not relevant to my point.
    What was the average turnover on which this average operating loss was incurred? How did this compare with Charlton’s turnover in 15/16?

You can argue that this was offset by 16/17 transfer income but that won’t affect the operating loss. The players can only be sold once.
  • Options
    ###Prediction###... KR to resign stating " unsure of his future under potential new owners, blah bla blah.. New manager of Sheff Weds by the end of the week. Brightest of the youngsters to follow him the Sheff Weds.