Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is the best purchase you've ever made?

It can be a simple bargain that turned out to be really useful or something sentimental, a holiday or a pet, but what was the best thing you've ever bought, and why?

Comments

• Probably paying for Mrs Otto and the kids to go to Portugal for the week. Absolutely bliss for me being home alone.

Lovely weather too (the kids got in the way a bit though)
    When I said home alone, I meant your better half was over for a couple of nights. Looks like we did a swap without knowing.
  • CHG said:

‘98 Div 1 Play Off Final ticket.

Beat me to it there.
  • MrLargo said:

First flat in Lewisham. Renovation project, nearly bankrupted myself doing it up but just knew it would be a shrewd investment. Flogged it 2 years later for just over double what I paid for it, although admittedly the hideous price increases in London earlier this decade were a significant factor in that. Bought it just before the market went mad and purely by luck sold it right at the peak.

Work in the public sector and my salary increases over the last few years have been way behind inflation. Certainly not living in luxury now, but I'd be really struggling if it wasn't for that flat.

Sympathise with those who can't get on the ladder now and are stuck paying sky high rents.

I am not having this. It has to be your South Eastern Yearly Ticket??
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:

First flat in Lewisham. Renovation project, nearly bankrupted myself doing it up but just knew it would be a shrewd investment. Flogged it 2 years later for just over double what I paid for it, although admittedly the hideous price increases in London earlier this decade were a significant factor in that. Bought it just before the market went mad and purely by luck sold it right at the peak.

Work in the public sector and my salary increases over the last few years have been way behind inflation. Certainly not living in luxury now, but I'd be really struggling if it wasn't for that flat.

Sympathise with those who can't get on the ladder now and are stuck paying sky high rents.

I am not having this. It has to be your South Eastern Yearly Ticket??
    Mike, I think one of us has completely misunderstood what this thread's about!

32 hours left until the dawn of another year of delays, cancellations and pathetic excuses.
  • Utility wise, probably my Wahl hair clippers which over 25 years have saved me a fortune in barbers' fees.

Fun wise, I expect my camera.
  • £1 spent in a condom machine in the loos of a sarf London pub.

You don't need them in the millers. All the granny's love a warm drink at bedtime.
  • £1 spent in a condom machine in the loos of a sarf London pub.

And Sky?
  • A Tempur mattress... not had a disturbed nights sleep since
  • T_C_E said:

Life changing has to be this boy, starting with the CL visit to SL which led to tv appearances. Which led to school visits thanks to @3blokes, which in turn led to more tv. Then after moving home the request to help with other people's dogs which led to the training school and my retirement at 58 from proper work, which in turn led to radio shows and sponsorship on local radio which in turn led to the "Reading Dogs" at the local schools and now visiting residential homes for dementia sufferers. imageimage

Had a slight inlking it might be a dog in your case TCE, no idea why!!
  • T_C_E said:

Life changing has to be this boy, starting with the CL visit to SL which led to tv appearances. Which led to school visits thanks to @3blokes, which in turn led to more tv. Then after moving home the request to help with other people's dogs which led to the training school and my retirement at 58 from proper work, which in turn led to radio shows and sponsorship on local radio which in turn led to the "Reading Dogs" at the local schools and now visiting residential homes for dementia sufferers. imageimage

Had a slight inlking it might be a dog in your case TCE, no idea why!!
    I was all over it as soon as I saw the word "pet" ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• The PPV for Tyson vs hollyfield where iron mike bit His ear

Possibly the most notorious and mad thing I have ever seen live
  • My marriage licence

Although it did cost me 7s 6d. Many scratching their heads and thinking I am talking about a foreign currency
  • MrLargo said:

Pleased to say, old enough to start buying property in late 60s and after many moves and making a good profit on each one, have now retired comfortable
  • My darling Molly...

• Round the world plane ticket
  • My first flat. It was cheap, (really cheap), and in Charlton, late eighties. Although we played away at the time it was a great place to live. Pickwick just round the corner and an Indian the other way.
    I used love living there, shame me and my wife had to take life seriously, move and get a big mortgage, family and all the other stuff.
  • In terms of money saving, a flask from Wilko for £8 which I fill with coffee every day (working day!) which saves me spending a fortune in the likes of Starbucks!