Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peter Varney and his investors

edited December 2017 in General Charlton
Well now that Roland has openly admitted he is actively looking to sell the club and that there are "interested parties".

Any chance that the possible best case and safest scenario for our fans might succeed in the purchase of charlton athletic?

Is he still interested?

Is it still possible?

Comments

• I'd say no, it's not likely although as a fan PDV will always be interested in the well being of the club
  • Varney potentially involved in one of the bids, so I’ve heard
  • Simon Jordan announced on Twitter the other day who our new owners are (allegedly) whether he was right or wrong I don’t know.
  • J BLOCK said:

Varney potentially involved in one of the bids, so I’ve heard

Pretty sure people are just saying this because no one knows who else could be involved in the british group?
    Agree, looks like a guess to me.
  • J BLOCK said:

I saw a tweet that said an Australian consortium and also "British based investors" are interested in buying the club.

Rumours...could be Varney.
  • J BLOCK said:

Could be......but at what level of involvement is perhaps a more interesting question?
  • The bids are meant to be Aussie (Muir) and a brutish bid. Varney is involved with Kuwaiti money) so unlikely to be that...unless he has British based funding too (not impossible)

The talk of one bid being “persistent” lends itself to the idea of Varney and the idea of one bidder not the preferred option could suggest the Aussies are still trying to come up with the cash or prove its existence.

Careful what we wish for seems to be the mantra I think
  • Simon Jordan announced on Twitter the other day who our new owners are (allegedly) whether he was right or wrong I don’t know.

So, who are they ???
  • Sponsored links:

So, who are they ???
    He said this but as I said on the Twitter thread, I agree with Sam.

• Swisdom said:

Simon Jordan announced on Twitter the other day who our new owners are (allegedly) whether he was right or wrong I don’t know.

Simon Jordan announced on Twitter the other day who our new owners are (allegedly) whether he was right or wrong I don’t know.

I thought he was just slagging is off and saying it was the former Leyton orient guy Becchetti

Cheers guys, I couldn’t remember his name , someone I’d not heard of.
  • edited December 2017
    Swisdom said:

The bids are meant to be Aussie (Muir) and a brutish bid. Varney is involved with Kuwaiti money) so unlikely to be that...unless he has British based funding too (not impossible)

The talk of one bid being “persistent” lends itself to the idea of Varney and the idea of one bidder not the preferred option could suggest the Aussies are still trying to come up with the cash or prove its existence.

Careful what we wish for seems to be the mantra I think

Yet again the confusion with Muir’s involvement pops up.
    At one moment you are saying Muir is the No1honcho on the scene in OZ.......were that the case this guy doesn’t have to prove where the money is coming from or if it’s available .....he’s major league wealthy.
    You then go on to say the Aussies are still trying to prove/raise the cash availability ......which would suggest he isn’t involved......or is he merely a part of a consortium, so which is it?
  • Varney was rebuffed by Duchatelet previously.
    It's natural to assume he's gone in again.
  • I am sure that Peter Varney looks fondly on Charlton, but my understanding (based on no insider knowledge whatsoever) is that Peter is heavily involved with Ebbsfleet as vice chairman and hand on the tiller guy for the owners. Whether that disqualifies any involvement with another FA registered club on a technical level I don't know, but Ebbsfleet is who he works for as it were. I understand that Peter would have knowledge and contacts, and if he can do Charlton any favours he would, but also respecting his role at Ebbsfleet and the people involved there.
    There is little basis to assume that Peter is footloose and fancy free having gathered investors and is ready to come back, but more reasons to believe he is occupied elsewhere but would be helpful towards Charlton within certain constraints.
  • I can imagine PV being involved as an advisor to an interested party, after all who better?
    But given his experience with the dear departed daisy and the nob that is RD, I'd imagine he'd stay in the background so as not to jeopardise discussions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Varney was banging the drum years ago with the potential of the club and new homes being built in close proximity.
    With the GMV development now largely built I would guess his vision is now more relevant.
  • I'd be very surprised if Varney was involved otherwise @airmanbrown would have said . Unless he's saving the scoop for a new edition of VOTV ;-)
  • I'd be very surprised if Varney was involved otherwise @airmanbrown would have said . Unless he's saving the scoop for a new edition of VOTV ;-)

Protecting Varneys integrity.
  • I assumed he was just being...Simon Jordan

Agree. He can't help but be a twat, so nothing to be read into his post

Protecting Varneys integrity.
    That’s a possibility
  • Since they were messing PV around before and wouldn’t do business with him, whether he would find a couple of ‘stooges’ to be a front but PV and his backers are the hidden source of it
  • Redhenry who is always very much on the money suggested that one if the interested parties "loved the club" so I think that along with the suggestion of Middle East money has steered our thoughts towards PDV.

I'm guessibg there are other possibities out there.

Could Paul Elliot who has been mentioned before be involved ? I don't think we shoukd completely discount Richard Murray ?

I cant think off hand of anyone else other than those three.
  • Addickted said:

What would Jordan know?

Think he's being funny by saying Francesco Becchetti will be our new owner.

#failedbusinessman

#bankruptagain

#cockwomble

Yes, I think he was trying to be funny.
    Palace got the owner they deserved when he took over, the orange-faced twat.