Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

No significant signings this window?

edited December 2017 in General Charlton
Following the excellent news that Katrien has resigned and that Roland is actively seeking to sell, it stands to reason that no funds will be made available for new signings.

I am happy for that to be the trade off, my concern is that Roland will try and cash in on our playing assets. Let's hope the potential buyers have nailed this down.

Comments

• don't think you can assume that at all
  • I still think a new owner in January will want to bring in a half decent striker to get the fans onboard.
  • edited December 2017

Following the excellent news that Katrien has resigned and that Roland is actively seeking to sell, it stands to reason that no funds will be made available for new signings.

I am happy for that to be the trade off, my concern is that Roland will try and cash in on our playing assets. Let's hope the potential buyers have nailed this down.

To be honest, given recent performances, do we have any “assets” that people would want at this moment in time?
    The only one that would make any real money is Konsa....there was talk of £5m for him. Scouts at recent games would have seen a player worth less than half of that.
    To be honest, with the way things have been going of late, I don’t actually think anybody leaving would be a massive loss, with the exception or Holmes, Pearce and JFC. We would miss DaSilva if he was recalled by Chelsea.
    Without a takeover I don’t think there would have been enough money made available for Robinson to get players in that would make a significant improvement anyway. I should imagine it would be loans and maybe 1 permanent signing, and maybe Best on a contract until the end of the season
    The best we can hope for is a takeover within the next 3 weeks, giving Robinson at least some room for manoeuvre.
  • Leuth said:

Why have you expressed this thread title like it's news rather than guesswork?

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead people. Just seems like I am stating the obvious, but nobody had said it up to now.
    Like I said, I'm happy to take that in the circumstances.
  • Leuth said:

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead people. Just seems like I am stating the obvious, but nobody had said it up to now.
    Might I suggest that you stick a question mark at the end of the title of the thread?
  • Leuth said:

Might I suggest that you stick a question mark at the end of the title of the thread?
    Good suggestion. I didn't know that I could do that.
  • @TellyTubby its a valid point you make, however I think the new owners, if they have the 'bucks', which I think we all hope they do, will want to take the opportunity to get some new players in and go for that play-off spot. Personally I hope they give KR the chance, with some cash, to get in some experienced strikers to work with big Josh, a replacement for long term injured Clarke and hold onto Konsa and Aribo.
    It could be that RD holds on until Jan is over, but without investment in the transfer window, I cant see us getting into the play-off places and hence the value of CAFC still in League 1 next season will reduce further. RD, in my opinion, has put himself in between a rock and a hard place, but we have to hope he opts to sell now, or I reckon our season is over come 1/2/18.
  • Sponsored links:

• @TellyTubby its a valid point you make, however I think the new owners, if they have the 'bucks', which I think we all hope they do, will want to take the opportunity to get some new players in and go for that play-off spot. Personally I hope they give KR the chance, with some cash, to get in some experienced strikers to work with big Josh, a replacement for long term injured Clarke and hold onto Konsa and Aribo.
    It could be that RD holds on until Jan is over, but without investment in the transfer window, I cant see us getting into the play-off places and hence the value of CAFC still in League 1 next season will reduce further. RD, in my opinion, has put himself in between a rock and a hard place, but we have to hope he opts to sell now, or I reckon our season is over come 1/2/18.

Indeed. Roli needs to sell very soon to get the best deal and for us to stand any chance of bolstering the squad for this season.

At least we can all begin to think about the future once again.
  • If the sale happens before or during the transfer window I would expect new owners to throw a bit of cash trying to get straight out of this crap division. As for RD selling players then not sure that would be possible as selling assets would most definitely affect the price he got for the club and you would expect some sort of lock out on transfer dealings.
  • Signing myself and my son up for season tickets is significant.
  • edited December 2017
    I think new owners will have made the deal going through in time for them to spend in Jan being one of the essential requirements of the offer(s) they have already put forward (hence why things are starting to happen and Roland is saying a takeover is likely...there's no time left now to hold out for more cash as that would risk the whole deal).

We're obviously well off form at the moment but still only two points off the playoffs with a game in hand & lots of winnable games in Jan. Bring in a top quality striker and get our players back from injury and this season is by no means completely written off....yet (though the longer the takeover takes the bigger the gap is likely to become as its clear to see that this uncertainty is affecting the manager and squad).

Make no mistake, new owners will definitely want the chance of a crack at the playoffs this year (which we can only win if we strengthen in this window).
  • If a fee for the club is agreed, they are not going to allow Roland to sell our best players and then pay the same price.

If any fees he receives have to be knocked off the price, there is no point in him doing it, although I guess he gets to piss us off one more time.

A concern is definitely the new owners taking over too late to do anything in January or early February. I'm hoping today's announcement means it's very very close.

I'm divided on Robinson, but my gut tells me he won't last long under new ownership.
  • I still think a new owner in January will want to bring in a half decent striker to get the fans onboard.

This, a la BWP.......
  • What would you do if you bought the club at this time? I would probably speak to Robinson and ask him what he needs to end the season in the play off positions. If what he tells me makes sense and is realistic, I would give him a chance to get us promoted.

Not if he talks scouse
  • Sponsored links:

• KR has now pretty much confirmed this according to Richrd Cawley.
  • Well, if RD is still here on Feb 1st, you already know the rules of his game:

Out of contract players/free agents whom nobody wants. Dirt cheap.
  • If a fee for the club is agreed, they are not going to allow Roland to sell our best players and then pay the same price.

If any fees he receives have to be knocked off the price, there is no point in him doing it, although I guess he gets to piss us off one more time.

A concern is definitely the new owners taking over too late to do anything in January or early February. I'm hoping today's announcement means it's very very close.

I'm divided on Robinson, but my gut tells me he won't last long under new ownership.

what announcement is that?

• I believe RCC and Umerah are back at the club due to injury. Given the thin squad we should recall Hanlan who is a bit more physical than Reeco.
  • edited January 2018

I believe RCC and Umerah are back at the club due to injury. Given the thin squad we should recall Hanlan who is a bit more physical than Reeco.

If RD stays, I would think that's the only further 'strengthening' of the squad permitted this window.

It makes up numbers. But that's all.