Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 19th Sept 1995. Wimbledon 4 Charlton 5

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
A classic of epic proportions and six more goals followed in the 2nd leg! Shame so few were there.

Tuesday 19th September 1995. Coca-Cola Cup 2nd round 1st leg. Selhurst Park. Att 3,718.

Wimbledon 4 (1)(Holdsworth 10 69, Earle 71, Clarke 87) Charlton Athletic 5 (2) (Garland 24, Bowyer 41 76 78, Grant 84)

Wimbledon: Heald, Cunningham, Kimble, Jones, Leonhardsen (Goodman 61), Earle, Ekoku (Clark 61), Holdsworth, Gayle, Reeves, Perry. Unused sub: Fear.

Charlton: Salmon, Humphrey, Stuart, Garland, Rufus, Balmer, Newton, Nelson (Robson 84), Robinson (Grant 73), Leaburn, Bowyer. Unused sub: Chapple.

Referee: Mike Reed (Birmingham)

Bowyer became the 2nd youngest player to score a hat-trick in a senior match for the Addicks.

Comments

• Great great game, Fatboys goal was mint
  • was at that game was amazing, it was like a school playground match. one for the memory. im sure the 2nd leg had bags loads of goals too didnt it?
  • 3,718 - How many did we take?

Remember I was in the lower tier of the Holmsdale with some Womble fans I know. Sat on my hands until the 4th goal but had to go up for that.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]was at that game was amazing, it was like a school playground match. one for the memory. im sure the 2nd leg had bags loads of goals too didnt it?
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]A classic of epic proportions and six more goals followed in the 2nd leg! Shame so few were there.
  • one of the few away games I went to. Was at college in wimbledon at the time and met my dad up there for the game. Was great fun.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]3,718 - How many did we take?

Seemed to be more of us than them - AdamAddick got it right, it really felt like a playground game in terms of the number of goals flying in. Daft fact - I think their goalie got man of the match believe it or not, the norm was to give it to someone on the home side regardless. He got a mountain bike I think! Second leg was 3-3 I seem to remember, highlight was a sublime ball from Bowyer to put Robbo in for a goal at the covered end.
  • Didn't go to this but was at the second leg, which was also a great game.
  • Great night and to be followed by a great Saturday, 5-1 at Ipswich with Leaburn getting a hat-trick.
    Two away hat-tricks in the space of 5 days!
  • I was living abroad at the time. A Wimbledon-supporting friend sent us a video of the highlights across the two legs - I think I still have it somewhere...but no VCR to play it on!
  • OOOOH Fatty Garland - OOOOH Fatty Garland

:)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2008
    Garland could spank em in, no doubt about it.
  • Peter Garland, legend. My all time favourite not-very-good Charlton player. His 30 yarder at home to Bolton was my favourite Garland wonder goal, was sat looking right down the line of it and it was like an arrow.
  • Great game - shame I missed Fat Pete's goal coz I was having a piss
  • Absolutely fantastic game.

As well as his goal I remember Garland hitting a shot that went like a rocket from somewhere just outside the centre circle. Would've been goal of the century if it'd gone in but think either their keeper made a blinding save or it hit the woodwork - can't reacall which. Anyone else remember?
  • edited September 2008
    2nd leg was awesome also, just remember Robinsons goal celebration right in front of us. Played against Garland a few years ago in the Ryman league, he was playing for Whyteleafe and obviously still enjoyed a few pies.
  • great game
  • Remember how we felt when we discovered we were buying a player from Newcastle?
  • edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Great night and to be followed by a great Saturday, 5-1 at Ipswich with Leaburn getting a hat-trick.
    Two away hat-tricks in the space of 5 days!

Thought I'd died and gone to heaven - was at both games. Superb memories. That Wimbledon game was amazing and I can't believe the crowd. There appeared to be twice as many of us, then them.

Loved Peter Garland.
  • Robbos winner in the return in front of the North Stand was just lovely
  • Wembley and the first game back will always be the greatest two games for me and I doubt I will ever see anything that will beat those two.

But if those had never happened this would be my most memorable game of all. Before the game all I could think what an awful draw it was as Wimbledon never used to get knocked out of cups by lower league teams and the gate would be so bad we would make no money out of it (very important back then!). The team was fantastic and we scored 5 when it could have easily been 10.

I know Bowyer will never be the most popular of players in light of subsequent events but when I think back on Bow playing for us it was performances like this. 18 years old running a Prem team ragged. He should have become an England great and for that he only has himself to blame.

As mentioned by others to then go to Ipswich on the Saturday and knock another 5 in was unbelievable. The walk back to Ipswich station was weird having seen us score 10 in two away games. I knew that was a special moment that even them I doubted would ever come round again but moments like this is why we bother going in the first place for matches like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• 14 years ago this week.

Even make me feel old.
  • 19 years ago this week!
  • The game that put young bowyer on the map........great hat trick. I still think he is the best youth player we've had, followed by Parker, Shelvey & then Poyet.

and yes, I was there..........
  • Wow that was a corker of a game, reading back through the thread I'd forgotten about the Leaburn hat trick (wash your mouth out MIA), and was lucky enough to be at both , Millwall in the snow and 6-0 away to Barnsley takes some beating.
  • Peter Garland was, IMO, one of the most underrated cafc players. A great footballing brain and a belter of a shot. Kind of like a poor mans Andy Reid.
  • Peter Garland was, IMO, one of the most underrated cafc players. A great footballing brain and a belter of a shot. Kind of like a poor mans Andy Reid.

No, kind of like a FATTER Andy Reid, Damo.

No, kind of like a FATTER Andy Reid, Damo.

Well, yeah, that as well.

Peter Garland was immense in that game, pulled the strings from the centre of the park...
  • I wish the club shop still sold those Peter Garland mugs, you could get a lot of tea in them.
  • I wish the club shop still sold those Peter Garland mugs, you could get a lot of tea in them.

Well, to be fair, you do need a wide brim if you're going to dunk a Steak and Kidney pie in it.