Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Always thought he was a good bloke
  • Couldn't make it up
  • What especially was wrong with him here? I heard he was bad but dont remember her ever making the same ridiculous comments and decisions as our very own nightmeire.
  • edited December 2017

What especially was wrong with him here? I heard he was bad but dont remember her ever making the same ridiculous comments and decisions as our very own nightmeire.

Empty chair. One former director who attended Target 40k meetings with him used to joke that they assumed his role was to bring the sandwiches.

I’m sure he’d give Iain Dowie a run for his money at interview technique though.
  • These sort of threads do you no favours.

Not looking for any, thanks. This bloke took about £700k out of the club in salary costs for two years’ employment at a time when it was very close to being insolvent, while doing very little, as the board eventually worked out. It’s no skin off my nose if he gets to do the similar at other clubs off the back of it, but I do think it’s remarkable.
    And there's football players who took far more and did far less.

Don't think the bloke has ever said anything bad about our club. Starting a thread to publicly deride a former colleague who left the club nearly 8 years ago because of a personal dislike is a bit petty.

When he made his PA redundant in 2009, along with many others, it transpired that he didn’t even know her name.
    That can't be true, surely ????
  • Sponsored links:

• And I called him Mr 24/7 !
  • Lovely bloke. But he was the missing link.
  • Met the bloke a lot during the first Fans Forum stint, always came across really well, attended all the meetings and was enthusiastic. No idea what he was like to work with or for, but can only report on what I saw. Personally cant see why he gets derided in some quarters but thats just my opinion.
  • I'm sure that's true about your experience, Tel. But if you could speak confidentially to any of a dozen senior people about him, including some people senior to or on a par with him, I think you'd get a rather different picture. I'm not aware of anyone disliking Steve Waggott - he was pretty irrelevant most of the time, to be honest - but an awful lot of people sussed him out and a fair number lost their jobs in 2009 so that he could keep his. It's no accident that when he left, he wasn't replaced. There was no need.

Cant argue with any of that Rick and I do remember the staff cuts which was most unpleasant for everyone involved.
  • Getting a bit near the defamation mark with some of the comments here!
  • Sponsored links:

Not looking for any, thanks. This bloke took about £700k out of the club in salary costs for two years’ employment at a time when it was very close to being insolvent, while doing very little, as the board eventually worked out.

When he made his PA redundant in 2009, along with many others, it transpired that he didn’t even know her name.

It’s no skin off my nose if he gets to do the similar at other clubs off the back of it, but I do think it’s remarkable.
    More fool the club for allowing it to happen.

I'm sure many of us here would gladly do very little in return for 700k over two years!

Not looking for any, thanks. This bloke took about £700k out of the club in salary costs for two years’ employment at a time when it was very close to being insolvent, while doing very little, as the board eventually worked out.

It’s no skin off my nose if he gets to do the similar at other clubs off the back of it, but I do think it’s remarkable.
    If that is true, who employed him, what was his job description and who was his boss.

Surely somebody who was there so long and, as you say, doing very little must have been working with/for a rudder less organisation, so not much different from what we have now.
  • edited December 2017

These sort of threads do you no favours.

That can't be true, surely ????
    Shirley

Not looking for any, thanks. This bloke took about £700k out of the club in salary costs for two years’ employment at a time when it was very close to being insolvent, while doing very little, as the board eventually worked out. It’s no skin off my nose if he gets to do the similar at other clubs off the back of it, but I do think it’s remarkable.

Don't think the bloke has ever said anything bad about our club. Starting a thread to publicly deride a former colleague who left the club nearly 8 years ago because of a personal dislike is a bit petty.

I’ve known the bloke for 30 years and have no personal reason to dislike him. It was the club that suffered not me. But I’d have started a thread if Kavanagh, Varney or Prothero had been appointed chief executive at Blackburn, because it’s of interest. There are much more peripheral threads on here than this one.
    I don't doubt that. In fact over the years I have noticed you have been very forthright in publicly deriding very many former colleagues and bosses on here rightly or wrongly . I am sure if everyone who has ever worked alongside you were polled not all reviews would be wholly favourable and that probably goes the same for all of us in our jobs.

I am sure it would be uncomfortable reading if you or any of us had our salaries versus input and delivery critiqued on a public forum.

You are held in high esteem by many on here with almost messianic fervour which is probably why it goes unchecked but it's a bit snidey in my opinion (which no doubt is a lone opinion and will get derided).

It undermines the good stuff you have done/ still do in the clubs interests to a degree too.

It's not like you're a normal poster as it's plain people hang on your every word and take it as gospel which makes posts that may be derogatory against others more impactful than if a Joe bloggs put them up. With great power comes great responsibility young grasshopper.

Not set out to have a go but if it's fair to start a thread with quip about Meire having a hope in a slant against Waggot who left the building 7.5 years ago without a bad word since then it's fair that it will be pulled up.
    Having had no professional dealing with him, I have no idea how he was at his job.
    Not defending or backing anyone’s view but I recall numerous threads within the last 7.5 years not painting him in the greatest light.
    Search “the Geordie smiler”.

I’ve known the bloke for 30 years and have no personal reason to dislike him. It was the club that suffered not me. But I’d have started a thread if Kavanagh, Varney or Prothero had been appointed chief executive at Blackburn, because it’s of interest. There are much more peripheral threads on here than this one.
    I don't doubt that. In fact over the years I have noticed you have been very forthright in publicly deriding very many former colleagues and bosses on here rightly or wrongly . I am sure if everyone who has ever worked alongside you were polled not all reviews would be wholly favourable and that probably goes the same for all of us in our jobs.

I am sure it would be uncomfortable reading if you or any of us had our salaries versus input and delivery critiqued on a public forum.

You are held in high esteem by many on here with almost messianic fervour which is probably why it goes unchecked but it's a bit snidey in my opinion (which no doubt is a lone opinion and will get derided).

It undermines the good stuff you have done/ still do in the clubs interests to a degree too.

It's not like you're a normal poster as it's plain people hang on your every word and take it as gospel which makes posts that may be derogatory against others more impactful than if a Joe bloggs put them up. With great power comes great responsibility young grasshopper.

Not set out to have a go but if it's fair to start a thread with quip about Meire having a hope in a slant against Waggot who left the building 7.5 years ago without a bad word since then it's fair that it will be pulled up.
    Having had no professional dealing with him, I have no idea how he was at his job.
    Not defending or backing anyone’s view but I recall numerous threads within the last 7.5 years not painting him in the greatest light.
    I'm saying he's not had a bad word for CAFC rather than none have had a bad word for him. I'm sure everyone has had a bad word about many they've worked with or for regarding those threads you're advising I search.

I'm saying he's not had a bad word for CAFC rather than none have had a bad word for him. I'm sure everyone has had a bad word about many they've worked with or for regarding those threads you're advising I search.

Aah, got ya.
    Apologies. It wasn’t how I read your post.
  • I think some people had him worked out relatively early, some worked him out a bit later on and some still haven’t had the pleasure. I’m surprised word hasn’t got around being football is a small world but also not surprised he’s got another job. Airman’s right about his and dowies interview technique. And it is true about his PA’s name.

That's fair enough and fromy what I recollect from postings on here you have great insight in that respect.

My point still stands that I am sure if everyone including the OP had former colleagues and staff publicly review and critique performance v salary and working relationships then most would find it uncomfortable as many would not be favourable.

Hence a public forum probably not the right place to do so.

After collecting £700k from us I doubt anyone would