Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greenwich Winter Time Festival

Have been watching this being erected over the last few weeks as I walk through the Naval college. It opens on Saturday but when I walked past it just now they seem to be having some sort of pre show performance. I talked to one of the staff members near the entrance and she said it was essentially a mini Winter Wonderland centred round an ice rink, with ice skating performances, a Santa for kids and food and drink concessions.

It costs £15 just to enter the grounds and £20 if you want to skate! Unf**king believable!!

And it seems Greenwich council have spent zero on marketing. I only know about it because I regularly walk through the Naval college. I asked the lady I was speaking to how they could justify those prices when Winter Wonderland is free. She said that Greenwich council were confident that crowds would come because it is Greenwich! Delusional!!!

Comments

• Options
    Agreed. At £15 a pop you won’t get very many borough residents.
  • Options
    Greenwich residents pay less. Can't remember how much though
  • Options
    I thought it opened last week. Seen quite a few tweets moaning about it.

• Options
    My missus got the family tickets for this on the 21st Dec....something like £70 for us all
  • Options
    Bet you're looking forward to it now Eltham ? :smile: (Quote button isn't working)
  • Options
    https://www.greenwichwintertime.com/tickets

You do get entertainment for your money, but it's pretty steep especially as the fee is per session! Not exactly priced to attract the casual passer by
  • Options
    According to Greenwich Diary on facebook this event is now free entry.
    https://www.facebook.com/GreenwichDiary/?hc_ref=ARQSwjRgSTO8sFJMrOqThuVQ-bB0LCFR0r8aHfYUySUHVSxzemwplXqAT0i0vftzNbI&fref=nf

Not sure what happens if you have already paid!

• Options
    not the same but went to leeds castle over the weekend, the christmas market is great v good for little kids, got reindeer, birds of prey and lots of food stalls that arent ridiculously expensive, only downside is you have to pay entry for the castle itself to gain access at £24.50 an adult, although that ticket does last all year so may go again in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

not the same but went to leeds castle over the weekend, the christmas market is great v good for little kids, got reindeer, birds of prey and lots of food stalls that arent ridiculously expensive, only downside is you have to pay entry for the castle itself to gain access at £24.50 an adult, although that ticket does last all year so may go again in the summer.

Love Leeds Castle anytime of the year

• Options
    kimbo said:

According to Greenwich Diary on facebook this event is now free entry.
    https://www.facebook.com/GreenwichDiary/?hc_ref=ARQSwjRgSTO8sFJMrOqThuVQ-bB0LCFR0r8aHfYUySUHVSxzemwplXqAT0i0vftzNbI&fref=nf

Not sure what happens if you have already paid!

The £15 entrance price was ludicrous, the reviews I've seen slated it for that money
  • Options
    We never had this shite when I was young. The closest thing we had was the school Christmas fair where you would traipse around your school canteen on a Saturday browsing bric-a-brac and buying biscuits/sweets that your class had made earlier that week.

I don't see the appeal of this at all. Every year the newspapers are full of stories of how terrible and overpriced they are yet people seem to be willing to pay hundreds of quid to wander around a plastic winter wonderland. I don't have kids myself but I hope if I do I could summon the restraint to save the money for an hour or two of pointless shite and put it towards a holiday.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    here you go @Fiiish (just noticed the is a Fiiish and a Fiiiiiish

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-42385803

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Now that the ridiculous entry fee has been dropped I popped into this last night. Only meant to check it out for a few minutes but as I was about to leave the Big Band came on and started playing Michael Buble, Sinatra, Bing Crosby and Dean Martin xmas classics and other songs. The band was excellent, as was the sound system and lighting, and the singer was seriously good. In fact he announced, before he started a medley of Dean Martin songs, he starred in the lead role in the Rat Pack for three years a few years ago. A pint was £6....good value considering the quality of the band.

Great shame there were only about 25 people in the audience. It was as good as watching a top West End show......for free!