Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Expressions people get wrong

Drive me crazy these, how people have managed to get through life not working out they are wrong or make no sense.

Seen "He's just a mere prawn for his bosses" this morning - guessing they meant 'pawn'.

Others I see all the time - "You’ve got another think coming", (yep, whereas that it your one thought of the day....), "For all intensive purposes", etc.

The worst has to be Pacific instead of specific. Do they think there is effectively an ocean called the Specific Ocean?

Any others you hear a lot?

Comments

• Oh and I had a conversation with a girl at work the other day who genuinely thought Alzheimer's was called Old Timers Disease.

She probably picked that up from statellite teevee
  • "He doesn't mix his words"
  • The specific and Pacific one has to be the most annoying.

"I could care less"
  • Nobodies arksing you
  • I don't think I've heard any of the above if I'm honest.

Mispronunciation of 'secretary' as 'secetry' always drives me bonkers though.
    Journalists are fairly good generally, although 'literally' can get misused - having said that, the definition of literally has now changed :-(
    Cameramen tend to be a bit rubbish. Should 'of' for should 'have' etc.

Sorry, this wasn't very helpful.
  • I didn't realise I did this until someone pointed it out but I tend to link the two words and say Pri-Minister rather than Prime Minister
  • ...Seen "He's just a mere prawn for his bosses" this morning - guessing they meant 'pawn'...

This refers to Tony 'do you want fries with that' Keohane. It should say, "He's just a Meire prawn for his bosses".

..."You’ve got another think coming", (yep, whereas that it your one thought of the day....)...

This one's right. It means think again. It's the idiots who try to make it 'thing coming' who are completely wrong on this.
  • MrOneLung said:

I didn't realise I did this until someone pointed it out but I tend to link the two words and say Pri-Minister rather than Prime Minister

Definitely a common one I think, easily done!
  • Sponsored links:

• 'Charlton promotion push'
  • MrOneLung said:

I didn't realise I did this until someone pointed it out but I tend to link the two words and say Pri-Minister rather than Prime Minister

Me too, that’s the south east London accent :smiley:
  • MrOneLung said:

In France they call that a liaison and would be very proud of how their language had developed, yet here it's seen as a bad thing. I like 'Priminister'.
  • "I won't try and tell you how to suck eggs"

Wtf is that about?

Also know someone who always says..." Yeah, well, it's gotta be 6 of one and 6 of the other"
  • Stig said:

MrOneLung said:

In France they call that a liaison and would be very proud of how their language had developed, yet here it's seen as a bad thing. I like 'Priminister'.
    Looks like a foreign word, wouldn’t get my vote etc. etc. Winky Face
  • Have your cake and eat it. It should be "you can't eat your cake and have it".
  • Not sure it’s necessarily wrong expression , but what annoys me is the whole “that’ll learn him” ... or just the fact that people use learn instead of teach in phrases!
  • Like the prime minister one, I pronounce "law and order" more like "Laura norder"
  • Sponsored links:

• Staprix instead of Go Pricks?
  • Fumbluff said:

Nobodies arksing you

Nobody's*
  • edited December 2017
    Until about five years ago I never understood the phrase ‘Died in the wall’!

I knew what it meant but had no idea why!
  • Good thread.

Can't be 'asked' instead of 'arsed'.
  • edited December 2017

Until about five years ago I never understood the phrase ‘Died in the wall’!

I know what it meant but had no idea why!

You’re whooshing us right?
  • JaShea99 said:

Fumbluff said:

Nobodies arksing you

Nobody's*
    *Bumfluff.
  • JaShea99 said:

Fumbluff said:

Nobodies arksing you

Nobody's*
    He did say it was wrong to be fair, so it's a bit of a mute point.
    Yeah fairy nuff.
  • For me, the one that I’m still not convinced about is ‘bog standard’ and have always considered that a northern derivative of what it should be but which seems to be the accepted phrase yet I’ve always thought that this surely should be ‘box standard’ as in that's the version that comes out of the box.