Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 January Transfer Window Rumours Thread (DEADLINE DAY from Page 56)

Comments

• edited December 2017
    Trouble is @SDAddick we don't know how reliable this Kicker magazine is for rumours, whether they've been played and our name dropped in by Jena to force other interested parties' hands. We don't know whose going is it Konsa , Kashi or even Holmes?

If there is no takeover and no outgoings we desperately need striker reinforcements assuming Dodoo goes back to Rangers. Funding then becomes an issue because I don't see RD splashing the cash. If Konsa goes that might make a small percentage of the sale proceeds available to spend but as you say what can you get for shirt buttons up front at this time of year? Dijksteel would then have to be thrown in at the deep end as cover for Solly and Kashi at DM especially if he goes as well.

The writing is already on the wall with KR being asked who could step up from the Dev Squad before getting the green light on Best so too much reliance likely to be on youth again. When CP smashed this league he had experience in depth for nearly all positions although did give youth a chance off the top of my head with Waggy and thereafter in the Championship, Lennon, Harriott, Cousins, Fox and Pigot being eased in .

Now if a takeover goes ahead by the turn of this year it becomes a whole new debate :wink:
  • SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

Here's the Google translation from kicker @Callumcafc

2 days ago

Jena's French left-wing defender Guillaume Cros (22) is looking for kicker information in talks with the English third-party club Charlton Athletic. ...

4 Club career

Guillaume Cros is on the list of high-class clubs. The left-wing defender of FC Carl Zeiss Jena is interested in the federal Ligist FC Augsburg and second Ligist Jahn Regensburg among others. The Frenchman should also have played a role in the focus of racing Strasbourg and FC Basel. Jena would probably call a transfer sum in the middle six-digit range

If he's good enough then fair enough. I just don't know that left back is a huge priority. Obviously just because we've heard about this doesn't mean there aren't other targets in positions we need that we just haven't heard about.

Apart from striker, where else do people think we need reinforcements, assuming we keep everyone in the squad?

For me it's a tough one because somewhere like left back you have Jamie Mascoll who looks just about up to the level. Plus Sarr has covered well there. In theory we also have Lewis Page.

Right back you have Konsa and Dijksteel, though I think Solly desperately needs some competition/respite. If a potential first choice right back comes along then great (this is assuming Konsa stays, if he leaves we need a RB). But we should really only be looking at someone who could come in and put Solly's position under threat.

Central midfield, we're never going to know just how good Dijksteel is at this level until he's played there. It's ridiculous that he hasn't played in midfield in the league yet, and I'd dare say he's never played in midfield for the first team full stop. He looks to have the ability to cover for Kashi, with Aribo the natural back up to JFC. One more in there might not hurt, but again they'd need to be immediate first team quality if they're going to jump ahead of the young players.

It's a tough one. And obviously January isn't the best time to be buying.
    Evening, SDAddick.

Please excuse my naivety but as, I believe, you are based in the US, how does it appear that you know more than those of us that attend most matches, home & away, from your overseas base ?

I presume you are able to watch every 1st team match via some kind of stream but Jamie Mascoll , who you state" looks just about up to the level" ? Although I now fail to attend U23 matches due to moving further away from the area, I do follow the reports of others but have zilch opinion on this player as I've never seen him kick a ball...

Of course, this forum is all about opinions & that's what makes it so successful.

But, whilst I rarely comment on formations on the pitch, or indeed the strengths & weaknesses of individuals, as I've never played the game, I often wonder how informed you can be when you clearly don't see the team play in person.

Without meaning to be rude or offensive, isn't viewing games from afar, how a certain M.Dreissen formed his opinions ....and we know how valid most of those were.

Curious Fanny.
    x

• This Cros talk broke in the German press today but is something a few people had heard in the days earlier. Left Back who has also played in the French 5th division I believe. I'm sure he is top of Robbo's list for 'six figure transfers'.

Interestingly, the Ostthuringer Zeitung below picks up on the prospect of Duchatelet effectively paying himself....

---

Guillaume Cros, full-back at FC Carl Zeiss Jena, is said to be close to trade with Charlton Athletic according to information from our media house. A middle six-figure sum is to bring in a transfer for Jena.

The Frenchman is also courted by the German Bundesliga club FC Augsburg - but apparently a change within the Duchâtelet empire is desired. The Belgian minority shareholder of the FC is the owner of the South East London club and would end up transferring the transfer fee almost by itself, as he would also be represented on both sides of the negotiating table.
  • Surely we're not going to spend 6 figures on a left back who plays in the 3rd division German league?!
  • edited December 2017

Surely we're not going to spend 6 figures on a left back who plays in the 3rd division German league?!

As I intimated it could be bait for other interested parties to snatch him from under our nose :smirk:. Even if we did sign Cros it'll be RD paying himself effectively whilst increasing his debt pile unless of course it comes out of any Konsa transfer fee :open_mouth:
  • This Cros talk broke in the German press today but is something a few people had heard in the days earlier. Left Back who has also played in the French 5th division I believe. I'm sure he is top of Robbo's list for 'six figure transfers'.

Interestingly, the Ostthuringer Zeitung below picks up on the prospect of Duchatelet effectively paying himself....

---

Guillaume Cros, full-back at FC Carl Zeiss Jena, is said to be close to trade with Charlton Athletic according to information from our media house. A middle six-figure sum is to bring in a transfer for Jena.

The Frenchman is also courted by the German Bundesliga club FC Augsburg - but apparently a change within the Duchâtelet empire is desired. The Belgian minority shareholder of the FC is the owner of the South East London club and would end up transferring the transfer fee almost by itself, as he would also be represented on both sides of the negotiating table.

I will be pretty cros if we don’t get him.

---

I will be pretty cros if we don’t get him.
    That's up there with the gags from Jack and the Beanstalks at the New Wimbledon Theatre.
  • I think it’s nailed on.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think it’s nailed on.

A bit premature mate, he hasn't been born yet.
  • RedChaser said:

I think it’s nailed on.

A bit premature mate, he hasn't been born yet.
    No need to crucify him for a bad joke
  • edited December 2017
    karl says a lot more than other managers human beings, and the issue is where he does it a lot people take his words as gospel, he wants to be loved by the masses but when you have our owner its hard to, on paper our squad isn't that bad all be it thin as a poppadom, we should be playing better than we are.
  • Aren't we going to give it a right go in the January transfer window if we are still in contention? I like Robinson, but he can speak to as many agents as he likes but I don't think he will be backed by RD. I can see Konsa and another one going out and a Prem loan coming in. Robinson should not be making these big statements. I like his honesty, but you shouldn't be making promises you can't keep.
  • dickplumb said:

Aren't we going to give it a right go in the January transfer window if we are still in contention? I like Robinson, but he can speak to as many agents as he likes but I don't think he will be backed by RD. I can see Konsa and another one going out and a Prem loan coming in. Robinson should not be making these big statements. I like his honesty, but you shouldn't be making promises you can't keep.

I don't think he's making promises, he's setting out what he wants, and indeed expects...
  • I think Rolly will back him, and I think Konsa will be sold leaving a nice profit and an outside chance of getting promoted.
  • Konsa leaves. One striker bought. One prem loan and one punt.
  • Redrobo said:

I think Rolly will back him, and I think Konsa will be sold leaving a nice profit and an outside chance of getting promoted.

I will remind you of that at the end of January.
  • Wonder if Eddie Nketiah is one of those on the list

Other than the League Cup and Europa League he's not really featured since that Norwich game
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2017
    I'm sure it will be the same old story, lots of huffing and puffing with plenty of end product... we are still talking about transfer rumours... arnt we?
  • Given our track record, if you were an agent contemplating the forthcoming churn, and you had a couple of fringe players to place, wouldn't you have Katrien Meire on speed dial?
  • edited December 2017

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-holds-transfer-talks-with-agents-and-wants-to-ease-workload-on-josh-magennis/

"Charlton boss Karl Robinson met two agents earlier in the week to discuss potential transfers in January.

The Addicks board are keen that any strikers brought in are in-form – with the plan that they carry on scoring streaks.

That's David Silva out then - he's not 6ft. Harry Kane maybe ?? Charlie Austin ??

• if still here can't see Roly backing KR at all. I mean a couple of weeks ago he wouldn't even fund Best's wages for eight weeks. No signings except freebies, three sales is my guess.

If the Aussies are in the hot seat then the game changes.
  • SDAddick said:

Do we even want Godden? Hasn't had a good season so far (not looking too much into it just basing it from goals scored) Stevenage main forward seems to be a player called Danny Newton. I would like better tbh, we need a finisher up front not another 'hard worker'

He's got 9 goals so far this season - how many has Magennis got ??? Yes, he may have to make the step up, but he would be playing in a better team & one that (should) create more chances for him. Put me in Man City or Liverpool's team & I reckon I could score a few, even at my age.
    He scored a hatrick against Nantwich in the FA cup mate which has boosted up his tally, he only has 6 league goals, hardly the finisher type we need unless he has not been playing? Otherwise those aren't good stats
    Checking the stats, Will Grigg only has 4 league goals this season!
    Don't know how many games he's played but he started the season injured and the game against us was his first start. Also, Wigan play a 4-2-3-1 similar to us looking to get goals from all over.
    By that definition

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-holds-transfer-talks-with-agents-and-wants-to-ease-workload-on-josh-magennis/

"Charlton boss Karl Robinson met two agents earlier in the week to discuss potential transfers in January.

The Addicks board are keen that any strikers brought in are in-form – with the plan that they carry on scoring streaks.

Robinson said: “It is the first transfer window I’ve gone into that I know who we want and what we need."

I know Robinson talks a lot but what does this mean? In previois windows he DIDN'T know who he wanted and needed?

"“I hope we can get a deal done in the next two weeks. It’s got to be sooner rather than later."

We'd all like to see this but again why does Robinson say these things? Two weeks in and Golfie will be going ape that we haven't signed a striker. Bit like saying the takeover might be imminent. A wish becomes a promise in some people's minds.

Hard to know what he wanted and who when there's big gaps in the squad. Guess that's been minimised now so easier to see the weaknesses.

Still strange wording from Robinson.
  • I guess the big question is...

How long will this thread be by the end of the window? I'm going for 147 pages
  • I guess the big question is...

How long will this thread be by the end of the window? I'm going for 147 pages

As long as you remember page 7 so you can quote it later ;)
  • So we are getting an in form goal scoring striker. That’s so exciting. Can’t believe it’s happening.