Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• 44 new posts and there was he thinking there was some news and it was only douchercrap
  • The challenging thing for us will be if he is here next summer, how little he will put into the team. I know he's hardly making waves with proactive investment at the moment, but I can't see him having any appetite even for free transfers next year.

He needs to accept he bought the wrong club, the experiment's failed, and he'll like get between £15 - £20m realistically. If he was trying to flog a business unit he owned that's losing £13m a year or whatever it is, I doubt he'd be so pigheaded. He'd want it off the books surely?

Him continuing to hold out for anything other than £20m max is detrimental to everybody involved
  • Bored now.

There's only one common denominator.
  • If I buy a house for £18k, spend another £37k doing it up (so £55k in total) and then sell it for £20k have I made A. a £2k profit or B. a £35k loss.

If you say A then I have some magic beans I'd like to sell you.

I'll have a gross please
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah but...no but...yeah but...how many beans do I get for £2.50?
  • edited December 2017

If I buy a house for £18k, spend another £37k doing it up (so £55k in total) and then sell it for £20k have I made A. a £2k profit or B. a £35k loss.

Please don’t move to Middlesbrough.

You would need to wear more that one cardigan given the climate up there.
  • edited December 2017
    The business of CAFC can only be worth what someone thinks it might generate over and above what it costs to maintain. Can the assets produce a bigger cashflow than the fixed and unavoidable costs of operations?
    The last couple of years have cost at least £10M p.a. to decline from a Championship club to a League One club.
    From the figures seen so far it is inconceivable that CAFC can be worth anything like as much as it was 4 years ago. Players have had to be sold to mitigate, but not eliminate, the losses.
    Is there currently significant unrealised value in the playing staff? For any prospective purchaser to offer tangible cash for CAFC, they will have to believe so. Either that or be inclined to speculate further funds on finding some.
    Any normal businessman's decision to sell a business would be based on being better off without the asset concerned.
    Roly's Charlton haemorrhages money - ergo he'd be better off without it - but he's not normal is he?
    He'd be better off to let it go for a big discount on what it theoretically owes him - and so would we - keeping it costs him €1M each month.
    More chance of sunburn on Christmas Day.

for the hard of reading: the pronouns 'he', 'him' and soubriquet 'Roly' are intended to represent Duchatelet and his Staprix business empire equally; from CAFC's perspective they are one and the same entity.
  • edited December 2017

The business of CAFC can only be worth what someone thinks it might generate over and above what it costs to maintain. Can the assets produce a bigger cashflow than the fixed and unavoidable costs of operations?
    The last couple of years have cost at least £10M p.a. to decline from a Championship club to a League One club.
    From the figures seen so far it is inconceivable that CAFC can be worth anything like as much as it was 4 years ago. Players have had to be sold to mitigate, but not eliminate, the losses.
    Is there currently significant unrealised value in the playing staff? For any prospective purchaser to offer tangible cash for CAFC, they will have to believe so. Either that or be inclined to speculate further funds on finding some.
    Any normal businessman's decision to sell a business would be based on being better off without the asset concerned.
    Roly's Charlton haemorrhages money - ergo he'd be better off without it - but he's not normal is he?
    He'd be better off to let it go for a big discount on what it theoretically owes him - and so would we - keeping it costs him €1M each month.

for the hard of reading: the pronouns 'he', 'him' and soubriquet 'Roly' are intended to represent Duchatelet and his Staprix business empire equally; from CAFC's perspective they are one and the same entity.

I read that too quickly and for some reason thought it said "they are one and the same numpty"
  • edited December 2017

We shouldn't take that £1m a month figure at face value, not least because it originally came from Michael Slater.

The operating loss in 2015/16 was indeed £12.6m, but it ought to have been less last season because that was exceptional. It was £7.8m in 2014/15 and after profit on player trading that season the actual loss was £4m.

Whatever the 16/17 operating loss turns out to have been, it was probably offset by (exceptional) player trading, in which case the net external contribution to operating costs needed will have been diddly squat.

I am in no sense arguing that you don't need to be able to underwrite an operating loss to run the club, but it ain't going to be £1m a month unless you're a) incompetent or b) ambitious. I think we know which one the Belgians have been.

• When’s the takeover happening....? Anyone know? ;-)
  • Valley11 said:

When’s the takeover happening....? Anyone know? ;-)

January 23rd ... unfortunately I wasn’t told in which year it will be.
  • Valley11 said:

February 30th
    Fact
  • Sponsored links:

• By the 7th January.

I was in Brasil when they took us over, so would be spooky if they sold whilst I'm back out there.
  • why o why are peeps trying to apply logic to RDs ownership? it was a social egotistical experiment at the start and ends with a dragged out attempt to save face----his ego and that of his poodles will remain intact in their ignorant arrogance no matter what happens to OUR football club.

as for applying logic to football finances ---Man city £100 million on two ffull backs !!
  • rananegra said:

Am I missing something? Roland takes on £18M debt. Ramps it up to £55M through stupidity. Then gets £37M for the club and therefore makes a profit because the new owner gives him £37M and takes on the debt of £18M? Surely then the new owner would have paid £55M?

Whatever, hope he's gone very soon.

We don’t know what the current debt is and not of all it is real debt, debatably, but for argument’s sake if it’s £55m and RD ultimately gets less than £55m back then he has made a loss. Henry is right.
    So how much did RD pay for the club?
  • This is simple.

Cost of buying club, plus net (investment of cash - withdrawal of cash) extra money put in = cost.

What you receive when you sell it = sale proceeds.

Sale proceeds - Cost = profit/(loss)

• DOUCHER said:

CHG said:

Henry 3 - 2 Doucher, good game this.

Wrong, 2-0 to me over Henry and was same score over airman but now 3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euPiKKMsR8E
  • edited December 2017

If I buy a house for £18k, spend another £37k doing it up (so £55k in total) and then sell it for £20k have I made A. a £2k profit or B. a £35k loss.

Except I don't think that is what is happening.

I think it is more like this...

He bought the house for 18. Spent 37 on improvements but put it on credit card. He owns the credit card company and pays interest to himself. When he sells for 20, he turns the debt and credit card company over to the new owners and pockets the 2 difference between 18 and 20.

• Valley11 said:

February 30th
    Fact

Except that is not what is happening.

He bought the house for 18. Spent 37 on improvements but put it on credit card. He owns the credit card company and pays interest to himself. When he sells for 20, he turns the debt and credit card company over to the new owners and pockets the 2 difference between 18 and 20.

Why would anyone agree to take 37k of debt off of his hands? Aren't they then effectively paying 57k for the club?
    I think you mean mil not k
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!