Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 January Transfer Window Rumours Thread (DEADLINE DAY from Page 56)

Comments

• Redrobo said:

Punts for players from the lower leagues in January should be for the under 23 squad only.

The first team need a proven striker at this level or higher.

Good luck finding him in January

The only players at this level or higher will be the likes of Leon Best who doesnt already have a club or your Mavididi's of the world who'll be loaned out from the Premier League
    Top scorer is Keiffer Moore who is on loan from Ipswich. Will they sell? Cole at Fleetwood, could they afford to turn down a good offer?

There are players out there and I do hope we are looking at someone decent and not just having a punt.
  • Dodoos loan spell is getting cut short apparently. Heard he isn't happy with the limited chances he's getting

Not surprised. 3-1 down in the cup & the manager puts on a defender with 5 mins to go. If I was Dodoo I would have got up from the bench, told KR where to stick it & got the first flight back to Jocko land.
    Oi, leave Jacko out of this.
  • Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Punts for players from the lower leagues in January should be for the under 23 squad only.

The only players at this level or higher will be the likes of Leon Best who doesnt already have a club or your Mavididi's of the world who'll be loaned out from the Premier League
    Top scorer is Keiffer Moore who is on loan from Ipswich. Will they sell? Cole at Fleetwood, could they afford to turn down a good offer?

There are players out there and I do hope we are looking at someone decent and not just having a punt.
    I heard on the Football League Show a few months ago that Ipswich would be selling Moore in January with Rotherham being his likely destination - Will be shocked if we don't try and put in a cheeky bid for him ourselves
  • Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

I heard on the Football League Show a few months ago that Ipswich would be selling Moore in January with Rotherham being his likely destination - Will be shocked if we don't try and put in a cheeky bid for him ourselves
    My son knows him Ipswich won't sell but we are after him .you never no
  • Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

6'5"so passes the height test, and still young.

I am not saying we should sign him: but I will be pissed off if we only get some kid from non league.
  • Pretty sure McCarthy has already said he's going back there to play the second half of the season.
  • if RD is still here we won't be putting in bids for anyone
  • Pretty sure McCarthy has already said he's going back there to play the second half of the season.

KR said at the Bromley (Petts Wood) meeting that he's spoken to Mick McCarthy about Moore but thinks he'll be staying at Ipswich.
    For me it's positive that he has enquirer about Moore, he is the calibre of striker we need to be after in January.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2017

Redrobo said:

This is what I can't stand about many football fans, their sheer lack of reality based thinking. It's like talking to a wall.

Anyone who looks at transfer windows knows that the best strikers from lower leagues are the only option we have. At best.

1. No "proven" striker currently at a L1 club is going to move his family for a sideways transfer within the same league. Name the last time a striker did that in their prime in L1.

2. The best L1 strikers always move up to The Championship and even sometimes the PL. Old strikers past their prime move down. Only.

3. Proven strikers are so rare that they all dream of higher leagues - and that is where they go. No good striker dreams of L1. "Hey, I am a proven 15-goal striker, aged 27 in The Championship.... I want to go down to L1 and get crap wages!" Not.

Besides, lately the best L2 scorers have leapfrogged L1 altogether and gone straight to the Championship. Those two being Ollie Watkins to Brentford and Keemar Roofe to Leeds.They rarely even pass through L1 anymore!

We could get some 32-year old striker from The Championship whose best years are long behind him and hope for the best, but that's a move for loser clubs with no vision. I admit, currently that is us.

There is a chance we can get an 18-19 year old striker from above who needs playing time but they are likely not going to score 15-20. If we do, I have a candidate, Bright Enobakhare, of Wolves. Would kick butt down here.

But this notion that "we need a proven" striker and then lamenting our owner (or any owner) is not spending £10-15M to get him while our whole club turnover from all sources is only £12M, shows how many fans are just ignorant of the business,history, economics and realities of lower league football.

Nice rant ;0). Where did you pick £10 - 15 M from. I’ve not seen anyone quote any figures never mind those ridiculous sums.

What’s been said as I see it, is that we have been short of a partner for Magennis all season and with the best will in the world Big Mac isn’t going to fire us to promotion. On that basis we accept our lot and cross our fingers in the hope we make the playoffs or we encourage and hope that the imbalance in the squad is redressed in January by signing a player that might be able to score more than ten goals a season. By definition strikers are the most expensive to buy. I don’t think it’s unreasonab for the club to invest in one.

• Do we even want Godden? Hasn't had a good season so far (not looking too much into it just basing it from goals scored) Stevenage main forward seems to be a player called Danny Newton. I would like better tbh, we need a finisher up front not another 'hard worker'

He's got 9 goals so far this season - how many has Magennis got ??? Yes, he may have to make the step up, but he would be playing in a better team & one that (should) create more chances for him. Put me in Man City or Liverpool's team & I reckon I could score a few, even at my age.
    He scored a hatrick against Nantwich in the FA cup mate which has boosted up his tally, he only has 6 league goals, hardly the finisher type we need unless he has not been playing? Otherwise those aren't good stats
    Checking the stats, Will Grigg only has 4 league goals this season!
    Don't know how many games he's played but he started the season injured and the game against us was his first start. Also, Wigan play a 4-2-3-1 similar to us looking to get goals from all over.
  • edited December 2017

Redrobo said:

This is what I can't stand about many football fans, their sheer lack of reality based thinking. It's like talking to a wall.

Anyone who looks at transfer windows knows that the best strikers from lower leagues are the only option we have. At best.

1. No "proven" striker currently at a L1 club is going to move his family for a sideways transfer within the same league. Name the last time a striker did that in their prime in L1.

2. The best L1 strikers always move up to The Championship and even sometimes the PL. Old strikers past their prime move down. Only.

3. Proven strikers are so rare that they all dream of higher leagues - and that is where they go. No good striker dreams of L1. "Hey, I am a proven 15-goal striker, aged 27 in The Championship.... I want to go down to L1 and get crap wages!" Not.

Besides, lately the best L2 scorers have leapfrogged L1 altogether and gone straight to the Championship. Those two being Ollie Watkins to Brentford and Keemar Roofe to Leeds.They rarely even pass through L1 anymore!

We could get some 32-year old striker from The Championship whose best years are long behind him and hope for the best, but that's a move for loser clubs with no vision. I admit, currently that is us.

There is a chance we can get an 18-19 year old striker from above who needs playing time but they are likely not going to score 15-20. If we do, I have a candidate, Bright Enobakhare, of Wolves. Would kick butt down here.

But this notion that "we need a proven" striker and then lamenting our owner (or any owner) is not spending £10-15M to get him while our whole club turnover from all sources is only £12M, shows how many fans are just ignorant of the business,history, economics and realities of lower league football.

Nice rant ;0). Where did you pick £10 - 15 M from. I’ve not seen anyone quote any figures never mind those ridiculous sums.

What’s been said as I see it, is that we have been short of a partner for Magennis all season and with the best will in the world Big Mac isn’t going to fire us to promotion. On that basis we accept our lot and cross our fingers in the hope we make the playoffs or we encourage and hope that the imbalance in the squad is redressed in January by signing a player that might be able to score more than ten goals a season. By definition strikers are the most expensive to buy. I don’t think it’s unreasonab for the club to invest in one.

Agree with this, but also with some of what Napa said re: it's hard to get a striker at this level.

SHG I think you and I have both been keen to point out that the problem isn't necessarily that Roland has been unwilling to spend money, it's that the way money has been spent has been poor/inconsistent/short sighted.

I think we're at an impasse in January where we need to spend but where it will be very easy to spend a lot of money on someone for six months. By that I mean, the goal is obviously to get someone in who can fire us out of League One, and then be good enough for the Championship. And when you look at the names bandied about, I don't know if anyone fits both of those criteria and is available. I think Devante Cole is a good player at this level but I'm not convinced he could make the step up (and he's not exactly a poacher, more mobile and more of a dribbler than his old man). Kiefer Moore the same. Grigg is not an option so we need to leave that one.

Even if (obviously a big if) there is decent money to be spent, I just don't know how we're going to spend it. Say it all the time but I think our best bet would be to look abroad. But short of someone having a falling out at their club between now and January, even if we had a couple million to spend (obviously a big if), where would we spend it if players aren't good enough and clubs aren't willing to sell the players who are?

I worry that our collective expectations might be too high.
  • I heard we are back in for Pu Edam
  • Think we should look abroad.

Must be some good strikers in Belgium.
  • We signed BWP from a League One team. Just saying @NapaAddick
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2017
    @NapaAddick the the bloke you mention from wolves is certainly our kind of striker.....3 goals in 43 games.
  • Nah Alex Song aint the type I go for Paulie
  • http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15707680.Charlton_boss_on_Rangers_striker___s_underwhelming_loan_spell_at_the_Valley/?ref=mr&lp=1

Dodoo injured his calf before the Wimbledon match, so missed 2 cup matches when he might have had the chance to get some match time...
  • http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15707680.Charlton_boss_on_Rangers_striker___s_underwhelming_loan_spell_at_the_Valley/?ref=mr&lp=1

Dodoo injured his calf before the Wimbledon match, so missed 2 cup matches when he might have had the chance to get some match time...

Has a history of debut goals and...nothing else. He'll be getting splinters back in Glasgow in a couple of weeks.
  • Olly Lee ( Robert's son) of Luton linked with us in the Sun today.
  • Richard J said:

Olly Lee ( Robert's son) of Luton linked with us in the Sun today.

26 year old midfielder whose only stint above League Two was with Birmingham a few years ago until this year. I'll ask my Luton supporting friends as I can't claim to know much about him, but he doesn't feel like he would be an inspired signing.
  • SDAddick said:

Richard J said:

26 year old midfielder whose only stint above League Two was with Birmingham a few years ago until this year. I'll ask my Luton supporting friends as I can't claim to know much about him, but he doesn't feel like he would be an inspired signing.
    Would prefer his brother!
    But once again, midfield isn’t the problem- it’s not where needs strengthening!
  • Elliot lee is the one we want
  • sammy391 said:

SDAddick said:

Richard J said:

Would prefer his brother!
    But once again, midfield isn’t the problem- it’s not where needs strengthening!
    Agreed, though it will be interesting to see how Aribo and Dijksteel do with Kashi out for a month. I know Robinson has said he wants to send Aribo out on loan, so that may be why we're looking at a midfielder. But I don't know that, in the long run, Olly Lee makes us a better team.
  • Elliot lee is the one we want

We will probably end up with Rusty Lee