Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020: Wembley to host seven matches after Brussels loses right to host games

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42270759

We already had the final and the semis, now Group matches will also be played there.

Comments

• Should have given Cardiff a couple of games.
  • actually think it will be decent and will likely attend, not doing wc unless semis or final which were not going to get to anyway, but have applied for tickets on the off chance.

some of the pairings for group stage hosts are a bit ridiculous distance wise;

group A; Rome & Baku
    group B; St petersberg & Copenhagen
    group C; Amsterdam & Bucharest
    group D; London & Glasgow
    group E; Bilbao & Dublin
    group F; Munich & budapest

on that lot would take C or F if offered.

• Rome and Baku is a bit bizarre geographically, though to be fair Baku is a massive distance from all the host cities!
  • seems a complete shambles to me. Typical new "diversification" and "lets involve everyone" mentality that pervades society nowdays.

However, it does make me laugh. We are leaving the EU just when its all falling apart and they say with Brexit we are doomed. The only decent thing to ever come out of Belgium was Hercule Poirot & Tintin..........and they are both fictional.
  • Blimey Im shocked that UEFA arent having Groups where teams play the furthest apart like London and Baku for example
  • I thought Wales might get a game or two but they miss out altogether. Seems a but unfair. Of well, closer to home is good.
  • actually think it will be decent and will likely attend, not doing wc unless semis or final which were not going to get to anyway, but have applied for tickets on the off chance.

group A; Rome & Baku
    group E; Bilbao & Dublin

Glasgow? Are they having games at Hampden a ground the national team nay soon be ditching? Cardiff would have been a better choice.
  • I can just see how England having a 'home' game at Hampden will go down.
  • Sponsored links:

group A; Rome & Baku
    group E; Bilbao & Dublin

Each qualified host country will play a minimum of two home matches.

So, if they qualify...

A will include Italy and Azerbaijan
    B will include Russia and Denmark
    C will include Netherlands and Romania
    E will include Spain and Ireland
    F will include Germany and Hungary

D will include England and three other teams
  • edited December 2017
    This is what Roland was banging on about this morning then
    Lots of articles on twitter with quotes from our saviour.

;-)
  • Hang on. Wembley is hosting the semis and final of Euro 2020? How long have we known this? I had absolutely no idea.

group A; Rome & Baku
    group E; Bilbao & Dublin

Glasgow? Are they having games at Hampden a ground the national team nay soon be ditching? Cardiff would have been a better choice.
    Yes, Hampden, a pretty poor stadium and not a patch on the Millennium.

Indeed Hampden is probably only the 3rd best in Glasgow!
  • Rome and Baku is a bit bizarre geographically, though to be fair Baku is a massive distance from all the host cities!

Indeed. Possibly because Baku isn't even in Europe.

@se9addick . Was that really the reason for this monstrous set-up? I thought it was Platini's grand vision

@se9addick . Was that really the reason for this monstrous set-up? I thought it was Platini's grand vision
    Yep, here's a report from the day of the announcement;

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-uefa-euro-reaction/uefas-euro-2020-plan-lauded-in-cash-strapped-continent-idUSLNE8B602G20121207

It's a one off and future tournaments will go back to normal arrangements so I don't think it can be part of a broader plan or "Typical new "diversification" and "lets involve everyone" mentality that pervades society nowdays. "
  • seems a complete shambles to me. Typical new "diversification" and "lets involve everyone" mentality that pervades society nowdays.

However, it does make me laugh. We are leaving the EU just when its all falling apart and they say with Brexit we are doomed. The only decent thing to ever come out of Belgium was Hercule Poirot & Tintin..........and they are both fictional.

The best beer in the world is Belgian. As are the best cyclists in the world, and the best bike races. Other than that - yeah, it's a dump
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

Rome and Baku is a bit bizarre geographically, though to be fair Baku is a massive distance from all the host cities!

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-uefa-euro-reaction/uefas-euro-2020-plan-lauded-in-cash-strapped-continent-idUSLNE8B602G20121207

It's a one off and future tournaments will go back to normal arrangements so I don't think it can be part of a broader plan or "Typical new "diversification" and "lets involve everyone" mentality that pervades society nowdays. "
    Well that article reminds us why it is so big a burden for one country. The crass decision to expand it to 24 countries.

One of the benefits of the tournaments is that everyone gets to know a country better, especially those who go and support their team. What kind of ordinary fan can follow his or her team in this tournament and what kind of experience will they have? Of course UEFA doesn't give a toss about such questions. I think the whole idea is ridiculous, and mark my words, it will be repeated.

• se9addick said:

Rome and Baku is a bit bizarre geographically, though to be fair Baku is a massive distance from all the host cities!

Well that article reminds us why it is so big a burden for one country. The crass decision to expand it to 24 countries.

One of the benefits of the tournaments is that everyone gets to know a country better, especially those who go and support their team. What kind of ordinary fan can follow his or her team in this tournament and what kind of experience will they have? Of course UEFA doesn't give a toss about such questions. I think the whole idea is ridiculous, and mark my words, it will be repeated.

Fair enough.
  • To be honest it just seems to be reverting to the old format... Werent games originally held at the home ground with the Semis and Final then at a host country?

Am talking about way back in the 70s though
  • edited December 2017
    cardiff should have hosted, attended the millennium for aj and was a much better set up in 1 regard for getting in the stadium, open plan so could smoke and take drinks outside etc, but getting away from it is a fucking nightmare, the city isn't big enough for 80,000, 5 hour taxi q's etc, admittedly this was 11 at night and if was a footy match most would likely get trains afterwards.

dublin again isnt great if its the avivia, croke park on the other hand good stadium.
  • edited September 2018
    Didnt realise but on the topic of Euro 2024 I went looking at the Cities hosting 2020.

Seems that the Groups / Cities have already been decided - Group D or Group F are definitely the ones to aim for with regards to travel time!!

Group A ... Rome and Baku
    Group B ... Copenhagen and Saint Petersburg
    Group C ... Amsterdam and Bucharest
    Group D ... Glasgow and London
    Group E ... Dublin and Bilbao
    Group F ... Munich and Budapest
  • Didnt realise but on the topic of Euro 2024 I went looking at the Cities hosting 2020.

Seems that the Groups / Cities have already been decided - Group D or Group F are definitely the ones to aim for with regards to travel time!!

Group A ... Rome and Baku
    Group B ... Copenhagen and Saint Petersburg
    Group C ... Amsterdam and Bucharest
    Group D ... Glasgow and London
    Group E ... Dublin and Bilbao
    Group F ... Munich and Budapest

Group C must be about 1,000 miles apart!
  • Group A just shy of 2,500 miles apart, on 2 different continents.
  • edited September 2018
    2 really easy pairings, D and F. The rest seem a bit random, I might have gone with

a Rome and Munich
    b Copenhagen and Amsterdam
    c Budapest and Bucharest
    d Glasgow and London
    e Dublin and Bilbao
    f St Petersburg and Baku

Though that's still a bit random. Weird that Spain aren't involved, when holding something like this needs little new infrastructure
  • 2 really easy pairings, D and F. The rest seem a bit random, I might have gone with

a Rome and Munich
    b Copenhagen and Amsterdam
    c Budapest and Bucharest
    d Glasgow and London
    e Dublin and Bilbao
    f St Petersburg and Baku

Though that's still a bit random. Weird that Spain aren't involved, when holding something like this needs little new infrastructure

Bilbao mate ;)
  • I must admit that I have warmed a bit to the 2020 concept. It might sound a bit crass, [\\\
    \

but I think it was during this summer's Russia tourno, when I realised how many games are in England. As we saw in Russia these tournos do have the power to open a country up to the world, and that's positive. This way, several countries will get a piece of that at the same time. I think this was what was in Platini's mind.

Having said that, Baku, no. Just no, on so many levels.