Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Portsmouth | Sat 09 Dec | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Portsmouth
Saturday 9th December 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Andrew Madley (Huddersfield)

Introduction

Over recent decades there have been a number of rare victories for Charlton to cheer about… Winning League One in 2012 is one whilst I doubt many will forget the drama of the Play-Off Final in 1998 – Nothing though will ever eclipse that moment 25-years ago when the fans came together to ensure the Addicks would return to their spiritual home. This Saturday both Charlton and the Football League have done something right by allowing the same fixture as the one in 1992… As we play hosts to Portsmouth!!

The Opposition
Name: Portsmouth | Manager: Jim Smith
Ground: Fratton Park

For a special game, a different kind of preview… Portsmouth travel to the re-opening of the Valley this weekend having already played a side from South East London in the last seven days… Last weekend saw our opponents recording a 1-0 victory over our neighbours Millwall and whilst that was occurring our very own Addicks under the stewardship of Alan Curbishley and Steve Gritt were losing their fourth game on the trot as having travelled to Oakwell it was Barnsley who would keep the three points in their own 1-0 win.

Of course the following weekend after those two results is scoreline that every Charlton fan will be aware of… Jim Smith admitted that it was a game that Portsmouth were never going to win and a goal from Colin Walsh would put his name forever in the Charlton Athletic history books – Our season at the Valley may only have begun that day in December yet was proof of the fortress it would become with only three games ending in defeat at home for the rest of that season.

Unfortunately we return to the present day to find both clubs in a Division lower… Charlton off the back of a poor run host a Portsmouth side slowly moving their way closer to the Play-Offs – With a strong Pompey contingent travelling up the A3 on Saturday afternoon you’d have to hope that once again, there can only be one possible victor.

Charlton Team News
For the last few games its been clear that fortune hasn’t been on our side and key players from the squad have certainly played their part of late – Hopefully that is about to change…

Both Jason Pearce and Harry Lennon have returned having had minutes against Swansea and AFC Wimbledon respectively whilst in his post match chat on Sunday; Karl Robinson confirmed that a number of players should return which includes Billy Clarke… A key player in the midfield at the start of the season, his creativity has certainly been missed.

Amos
Solly | Pearce | Sarr | Dasilva
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Holmes | Clarke | Marshall
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Konsa | Dijksteel | Aribo | Best | Ahearne-Grant | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
Shots… Lets have plenty of shots!!

Comments

• I predict balloons.
  • 1-0 Charlton. Walsh in the first half.
  • The cheer and applause on 7 mins will be the loudest of the game.

2-1 Charlton. KAG and Mag.
  • Sorry. 1-0 Charlton. JFC in the first half.
  • I think Reeves will be in the squad. Am not sure Pearce will start.
  • 2-0 win. JFC and a rare Josh Magennis goal
  • hopefully a win, and a reasonable crowd 6 of us all going together, meeting up early cafe then onto the bugle likely for west ham chelsea match so making a day of it.
  • Kashi and Bauer out for a month with foot injuries. Not ideal
  • Konsa in CM for injured Kashi please.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hopefully KAG will keep his run going, scrappy 1-0 with a few scares and an annoying bell.
  • edited December 2017
    I can't see Pearce starting. He's only had 45 minutes since returning from a lengthy layoff. And we're now in a position where Konsa is our only right footed center back for the next month, which would be a problem.

For me:
    Amos
    Solly Konsa Sarr DaSilva
    .....Dijksteel Forster-Caskey
    Marshall Clarke Holmes
    ............Magennis

Subs: Phillips, Pearce, Jackson, Aribo, Reeves, KAG, Best

That said I worry Karl is going to start Jackson in the holding role which I don't think he's good enough for.
  • edited December 2017
    It is a very special occasion for us but Pompey are on the up allegedly and buoyed by their large away support and a big clanging bell thingy. I suspect that in true Charlton style and so not to break a habit of my lifetime at least, we will underperform and get right royally turned over... my Saturday night will be ruined and the cat will go back into hiding AGAIN. 1-4

Sweet jumping Jehovah I am a miserable fecker!
  • I must agree with the above, we just can't do occasions.
    Pompey will fill every pub, make lots of noise and thoroughly enjoy their day out.
    0-3
  • For old times sake, perhaps we should play Steve Gritt in midfield.
  • COME ON, SHOTS
  • The failure of powder puff football in League 1

• 2-1 Charlton, KFC and a 25yd screamer for Solly.
  • Sponsored links:

• got my ticket today guy in front of me was refused tickets, I guess there are going to be a fair few people unhappy when they try and buy on the day.

Result wise KR is a motivator he may lack tactical nous but he is a motivator. If he cannot use the game as a way of geein up the players no one can 3-1 charlton
  • As nice as the win was against Swansea, to me all that is not relevant while we are down in League One. We really need THIS to be a win.
  • Pitman is fit and is experienced enough to give Sarr & Konsa a hard time if they don't lay down the law early doors!

Looking forward to the occasion though and hopefully we can get a decent win!
  • Damp squib 0-0
    Looking forward to it all the same
  • Hope Dijksteel comes into midfield to replace Kashi.
  • The way Bauer was rushed back against Peterborough Id be very surprised if it isnt Pearce and Sarr at Centre-Back with Konsa in place of Kashi
  • The way Bauer was rushed back against Peterborough Id be very surprised if it isnt Pearce and Sarr at Centre-Back with Konsa in place of Kashi

Maybe, but despite having a couple of rocky games I still think Konsa is a very good center half. Also, Bauer wasn't out for two months or whatever it was, so it was just injury management and not fitness.

I worry about Sarr and Pearce together. It'll force Sarr to play on the right, which isn't natural to him. And it will also likely mean we defend deeper than we have been, which I think throws us off.
  • Harsh on KAG if he misses out, he may play Holmes in the centre and use Clarke as a sub. Either way we should win. 2-0 Holmes and JFC
  • Comfortable home win 1-0.

Funniest prediction of the season you pessimist
  • Heart says 3.1 Charlton
    Head says 1.1

Hopefully heart wins