Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Karl Robinson says he has spoken to Roland Duchatelet just once since the summer."

Classic Roland!

kentlive.news/sport/football/football-news/revealed-what-charlton-athletic-owner-890504

"The only conversation I've had with him [Duchatelet] was regarding Leon Best," he said. "I told him we were low on numbers and needed a player.

"He asked who it was and we had to pull the documentation together to show him the reasons why, not just because we want him, but what he [Best] can do for the club.

"The first question I got asked back was 'do you have an academy graduate who can take his place?' That was the first question.

"I said 'yes but they are also needed in other areas'.

"I then later got a phonecall from Richard [Murray, director] to say we could take him until January."

Comments

• Unbelievabel Jeff!
  • He's definitely wanting to put clear space between him and Roland...
  • Your playing a dangerous game Karl, be careful what you say fella.
  • I think there more to this than meets the eye. I think Karl knows the takeover nearer and wants the new owners to think he had nothing to do with the regime. Just my assumption
  • Sacking the manager would surely be an unwanted cost for an outgoing owner?
  • Is there a hint of Roland just looking to keep things ticking over without much commitment as he is nailing down a sale as we speak?
  • Sponsored links:

• Now the boy Driesen has gone, old Roland has no one to speak to for advice about footballing matters.
  • go on karl sing loud and proud you lovely scouse man
  • CAFCTrev said:

Is there a hint of Roland just looking to keep things ticking over without much commitment as he is nailing down a sale as we speak?

Possibly but it's been the same under-resourcing of the squad since he took over.
  • Does Karl know something? Bit of rank breaking there
  • predicted a while ago that one of karls faults is he cant keep quiet and feek there will be a lot more to come, i think duchatelet will be here till the end of the season, and we will be sold if we go up.
  • Never spoken to the owner of my company.

He goes through the CEO like most managers of most businesses I would imagine.
  • Go on KR son. Finally a manager sticking it to the old man.
  • Never spoken to the owner of my company.

He goes through the CEO like most managers of most businesses I would imagine.

only difference being roland watches every game on a stream and speaks to karl once a week
  • edited December 2017
    I think he took the job on the basis of knowing just how badly run the Club was, but saw more attainable money, more valuable players and definitely more potential here than at MKD. He was right. Seems now he is less singing from Roland's hymnbook and more really trying to progress this football club, a real Football man at heart and it's shining through. He seemingly wants to drive the Club up for his own career and for this Club; he doesn't want his hands fully tied to stop him from doing this and that is showing.

I'm warming to the larger than life scouser.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don’t get the need for KR to come out and say this, unless there is something going on behind the scenes...

He has also come out and once again said that “with a new owner , he’ll be sacked” - as if to get the fans on his side so he can say to a new owner “look the fans want me here” and gains him sympathy!
  • 2 things

rat man is selling and as above post - getting the fans on side, if a new owner came in tomorrow i would give him to the end of the season, if supported in january transfer window, as with a few additions were not that far off a decent side. not a lot really 2/3 million to get a club in the championship - if he failed to get us up then would sack him at end of season.

hes gonna be given the sack by roland - unlikely but the man is a lunatic.
  • edited December 2017

he's broken ranks for a reason - either he knows he's getting sod all in January and wants us to know that or a sale is close so he doesn't care if he upsets Roland and he wants us on his side so the new owners don't replace him. either way I'm taking it as a positive sign.

I agree. It's been put out there for a reason.
  • The fact the Roland has to even ask if there are academy players we could use instead of Best shows how little attention he's paying to us now...
  • Sadly LargeAddick I think the first bit is correct , ' he's getting nothing in January '
  • Very interesting.

I had already been wondering if RM might have paid Best's wages to make the deal happen. I really don't see why he would be making the phone call otherwise.

I too find it interesting that KR should ask RD but RM (not KM) gives him the answer. I wonder .....
  • Lack of money in January is probably because RD has washed his hands of the club now, just waiting for the right offer to sell.

Any extra investment from him just loses him more money while he waits.
  • If he only gave Best a one month contract, not a penny will be spent in January if he is still here.

Good on Karl for speaking out although it might get him into trouble...

• Very interesting.

I had already been wondering if RM might have paid Best's wages to make the deal happen. I really don't see why he would be making the phone call otherwise.

Is it just me? Does no one else find this, if true, really bizarre? Why would RM do that? Does RM have any expertise in judging the value of a footballer? Would he expect the money spent on the wages to be returned? Exactly how rich is he?