Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

prague weekend trip

heading to Prague this weekend with the mrs so clean ideas only ;)

any suggestions? have read the xmas markets launch this weekend so will definately give those a visit, heading over friday morning back monday afternoon.

any advice welcomed

ta

ph

Comments

• I took a (guided) walking history tour around the city. Very interesting.
    Irish bar near the clock tower square if you want the footy.
    Trams are good fun.
  • heading to Prague this weekend with the mrs so clean ideas only ;)

any suggestions? have read the xmas markets launch this weekend so will definately give those a visit, heading over friday morning back monday afternoon.

any advice welcomed

ta

ph

I am also going Prague with the missus this weekend. I've heard there is a really good free walking tour.
  • I’m going for new year for my 50th let us no where to go
  • If you are looking for a decent meal, George Prime Steak is one of the best steak restaurants I've ever visited. And not too badly priced considering the quality of food!

Prague is a lovely city.... just don't lose your wedding ring in the river like I did!!!
  • PopIcon said:

heading to Prague this weekend with the mrs so clean ideas only ;)

any advice welcomed

ta

ph

I am also going Prague with the missus this weekend. I've heard there is a really good free walking tour.
    Swingers?
  • Goldfingers.

• The Christmas markets have generally been playing catch up with their German counterparts, and not succeeding. Old Town Square is the best one simply because of the fabulous venue. But I wouldn't buy much there. Glass of mulled wine - Svarak - maybe some roast chestnuts, ignore the rest.

Fortunately, on OldTown Square there is Restaurace Mincovna, with brilliant mid price food, tank Pilsner Urquell, approved by several Lifers and their wives. For beer any pub with "tankovy" beer is worth trying, but there are microbreweries too.

Try not to take a taxi off the street. Any half decent place will call you one. But anyway, get the 72 hour public transport ticket, and you won't need a taxi. I hardly ever use one nowadays, since a new metro station opened near my gaff.

Anything else, just shout. Looks like it will be pretty cold, but I think that's Prague as it should be in winter. Have fun and make the most of your last visa- free visit ( just for @i_b_b_o_r_g :-) )
  • Agree with @PragueAddick about the travel pass and the mincovna place.
    Also not the most plushest of places but there's a cellar bar/restaurant called Ferdinand opposite karmelitska on the mala strana side of the river that does good food, reasonably priced.
  • Go to the river, there are some lovely bars etc along there.
  • Sponsored links:

• cheers all, as usual cl coming up with some good tips!
  • Get one of these things from the Xmas market or any bakery. They are the bollocks.
  • Nicholas said:

Get one of these things from the Xmas market or any bakery. They are the bollocks.

They sell them in Berlin too - taste like thin, crispy donuts. Mega tasty.

• Take a tram ride if you can - they give a great view of the city, especially those that cross over the river.

Get up to Letna hill for a great view of the whole city

The Soviet TV tower in Zizkov with the alien babies crawling up it.

Try some real absinthe.

It's a superb place - have fun!
  • Just walking around is as good as anything, every street has interesting architecture.

The big ticket things are of course interesting but there are plenty of smaller quirky things and we particularly liked The Kafka museum and we liked the church where the Czech fighters held out after Operation Anthropoid http://www.prague.cz/cyril-methodius-church/ . The Josefov quarter is interesting/sad but worth a visit.

any advice welcomed

ta

ph

You aware that we have a game this weekend ???
  • Goldfingers.

I second this notion

any advice welcomed

ta

ph

You aware that we have a game this weekend ???
    yep never been a seb lewis of this world, a lot of my love for charlton was damaged when roland took over, i still support the team whenever i go though, which is more than most. dont have a st try to focus on aways more.
  • Enjoy great place... Go and visit sparta pragues ground across a road wirth lots of cobbled stones.... Have s beer in their little sports bar, lots of English club memorabilia adorning the walls.

If you can visit the church where tthe czech commandos held out in tbe crypt.... Still has german bullet holes in the wall. Beware of girls offering sucky sucky licky licky. You can even get a beer in the McDonald's.

Rocky o reillys is a great pub to find also.

Enjoy.
  • Enjoy great place... Go and visit sparta pragues ground across a road wirth lots of cobbled stones.... Have s beer in their little sports bar, lots of English club memorabilia adorning the walls.

If you can visit the church where tthe czech commandos held out in tbe crypt.... Still has german bullet holes in the wall. Beware of girls offering sucky sucky licky licky. You can even get a beer in the McDonald's.

Rocky o reillys is a great pub to find also.

Enjoy.

Yes, my abiding memory of Prague were the 2 girls sitting outside the hotel lifts & offering their services to all the single guys going up to their rooms, all in plain view of the reception desk. Lovely country.
  • Sponsored links:

• wasn't as stag doey as usual, but then that might be time of year, although on flight over we did have 11 oxford fans that were the scummiest iv'e ever met, were chanting about ryanair and do they get a guinness on board and no wonder its late and the irish are backwards, then started chanting edl on the plane one was completely wasted, in his moody double badged stone island tracksuit.

the place itself really nice.

pubs we tried out were;

dubliner
    rocky o reillys
    caffreys

were pretty standard european irish bar type - sports and food.

few around the old town square all similar price 109csk 400ml beer 199csk litre beer

didn't see much of the stripclubs/hookers advertised or walking around, but then again maybe because i was walking with the mrs.

saw all the sites ( charles bridge, castle, clock, old town, Jewish quarter ) walked to all of them as hotel was pretty good location - grandium about a 2 min walk from wenceslas sqaure.

regarding restuaurants

we eat at Restaurace Mincovna on the Sunday night - brilliant shout cheers @PragueAddick

the rest we tended to get bits and pieces from the xmas markets.

wasn't as cheap as i thought it would be, but then we were mainly around tourists hotspots.

oh and lastly the astronomical clock very underwhelming.

• we eat at Restaurace Mincovna on the Sunday night - brilliant shout cheers @PragueAddick

. few around the old town square all similar price 109csk 400ml beer 199csk litre beer

Christ on a ****** bike. They really charge that?

In Mincovna you will have paid 46CZK for 500ml. But glad you liked it. Never had a bad evening there, and that's even more amazing when you consider the location, right in the middle of the tourist rip offs.

The last two times I went to Rocky's was to watch Millwall at home (lost, deflected goal) and Sheff Utd in the cup (we all know how that went). The beer tasted foul, dunno whether it was what I was watching or whether the Irish operators just don't keep their "kit" clean like the locals do...

• we eat at Restaurace Mincovna on the Sunday night - brilliant shout cheers @PragueAddick

. few around the old town square all similar price 109csk 400ml beer 199csk litre beer

Christ on a ****** bike. They really charge that?

In Mincovna you will have paid 46CZK for 500ml. But glad you liked it. Never had a bad evening there, and that's even more amazing when you consider the location, right in the middle of the tourist rip offs.

The last two times I went to Rocky's was to watch Millwall at home (lost, deflected goal) and Sheff Utd in the cup (we all know how that went). The beer tasted foul, dunno whether it was what I was watching or whether the Irish operators just don't keep their "kit" clean like the locals do...
    yep!! was a bad surprise even the Irish bars weren't that cheap, in my mind i was comparing it to slovakia where 8 beers cost me 6.80 euro

79csk for strapramen in all 3 of the irish bars, 109 for guinness/stella.
  • Saw an opera there, can usually pick up decently priced tickets.
  • wasn't as stag doey as usual, but then that might be time of year, although on flight over we did have 11 oxford fans that were the scummiest iv'e ever met, were chanting about ryanair and do they get a guinness on board and no wonder its late and the irish are backwards, then started chanting edl on the plane one was completely wasted, in his moody double badged stone island tracksuit.

the place itself really nice.

pubs we tried out were;

dubliner
    rocky o reillys
    caffreys

were pretty standard european irish bar type - sports and food.

few around the old town square all similar price 109csk 400ml beer 199csk litre beer

didn't see much of the stripclubs/hookers advertised or walking around, but then again maybe because i was walking with the mrs.

saw all the sites ( charles bridge, castle, clock, old town, Jewish quarter ) walked to all of them as hotel was pretty good location - grandium about a 2 min walk from wenceslas sqaure.

regarding restuaurants

we eat at Restaurace Mincovna on the Sunday night - brilliant shout cheers @PragueAddick

the rest we tended to get bits and pieces from the xmas markets.

wasn't as cheap as i thought it would be, but then we were mainly around tourists hotspots.

oh and lastly the astronomical clock very underwhelming.

I too got back from a long weekend, also had dinner in Restaurace Mincovna on Sunday evening thanks to @PragueAddick

Drank a ridiculous amount of beer. Most of the pubs we drank in brewed their own beer and it was decent stuff.
    Got the train out to Kutna Hora on Sunday, the ossuary was a curiosity and worth a visit.

Beautiful city, castle grounds were superb, I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't been.
  • If you come across the little shop selling Russian Nesting Dolls go inside and you should find a CAFC set, or ask the guy.
  • If you come across the little shop selling Russian Nesting Dolls go inside and you should find a CAFC set, or ask the guy.

Still today? Last I heard, it featured the likes of Claus Jensen and JJ.

The Irish beers are the worst for beer, because they all charge a premium, they all seem to favour Staropramen rather than Pilsner, but at the same time don't know how to look after their beer. Yes if you want a fry up breakfast, they will do them for you, but you can get that at home, right? Also, especially in the early days, the owners didn't hide their political allegiances back home, and in the days before the Good Friday Agreement there was a distinct feeling the rip off prices were funding something even more unsavoury. Just sayin'....

@PopIcon think you should tell people what the ossuary actually is. When I went there, some other visitors were staggering out of there in shock, and some were Czechs! Appropriate that its right next to the tobacco factory...

• I'm sure when we finally discover life on mars it will be because an Irish bar is spotted on the red planet.
    Seriously palarsehater, I can't help feel you've missed out by not venturing around the breweries and cellar bars. I go to a few within a five minute walk of the mala strana side of the Charles bridge and pay between 26ck - 45ck for 500m of urquell, staropramen, jezek etc.
  • @PragueAddick i bought a set will upload a pic now.