Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 January Transfer Window Rumours Thread (DEADLINE DAY from Page 56)

Comments

• Scoham said:

dickplumb said:

We shouldn't be looking for any players except for a striker and a back up CM in my opinion, would rather end up with 2 good players in the priority positions rather than 5 bit and pieces signings like Lewington

This
    Quality now not quantity
    We won't get either.

Hanlan, Umerah, Lewington (despite what KR says at the moment) and Lennon ("looks like a new signing") will be the quantity.
    Do I 'like' or 'LOL' that, Scoham?

• SDAddick said:

Godden will be a punt. Im not at all convinced hes going to do it consistently at league one.

Ditto.

The hard thing is, and it was the same situation in the summer, finding consistent goalscoring strikers at this level who are willing/able to come to us is incredibly difficult. I've said it many times, the fact that we can pretty much name any potential target, and keep tabs on players who have fallen out of favor at their Championship clubs says it all really.

I don't wish this league upon Igor. He has a young kid (I believe) and is probably enjoying being back in Belgium. If we get promoted and he wants to come back next year, fantastic. I think he still has the potential to be a good Championship player. But the club almost ruined his career (and may have done permanent damage) with the way they handled his injuries. If he never wants to play for us again, I can't say I'd blame him one bit.

Pleased Lewington isn't signing. Or, rather, not too fussed. I don't think he has the pace for our system. With Lennon and Pearce coming back we have three left footed center halves, so I don't think him providing cover there is helpful. Both Lennon and Sarr can slot in at left back. And I'm hoping that Mascoll gets a couple more chances in the second half of the season.
    Although adequate in an emergency, really don't want either Sarr or Lennon at LB. Agreed that Mascoll looks promising though so it's certainly not a priority to improve.

Definitely need 2 strikers to replace Dodoo and Best. Don't think we need a CM, we already have a very good one in Aribo who has barely played.
  • Do we even want Godden? Hasn't had a good season so far (not looking too much into it just basing it from goals scored) Stevenage main forward seems to be a player called Danny Newton. I would like better tbh, we need a finisher up front not another 'hard worker'
  • Do we even want Godden? Hasn't had a good season so far (not looking too much into it just basing it from goals scored) Stevenage main forward seems to be a player called Danny Newton. I would like better tbh, we need a finisher up front not another 'hard worker'

Newton only signed for Stevenage in the summer so could be like trying to sign Doyle

First player to be part of the Jamie Vardy Scheme to come out of Non-League Football and sign for a League side
  • Also not sure if anyone has shared this yet:

Will he be bringing his goat.
  • Didnt he leave us when he was 15/16

He's got 9 goals so far this season - how many has Magennis got ??? Yes, he may have to make the step up, but he would be playing in a better team & one that (should) create more chances for him. Put me in Man City or Liverpool's team & I reckon I could score a few, even at my age.
  • SDAddick said:

Godden will be a punt. Im not at all convinced hes going to do it consistently at league one.

Ditto.

The hard thing is, and it was the same situation in the summer, finding consistent goalscoring strikers at this level who are willing/able to come to us is incredibly difficult. I've said it many times, the fact that we can pretty much name any potential target, and keep tabs on players who have fallen out of favor at their Championship clubs says it all really.

I don't wish this league upon Igor. He has a young kid (I believe) and is probably enjoying being back in Belgium. If we get promoted and he wants to come back next year, fantastic. I think he still has the potential to be a good Championship player. But the club almost ruined his career (and may have done permanent damage) with the way they handled his injuries. If he never wants to play for us again, I can't say I'd blame him one bit.

Pleased Lewington isn't signing. Or, rather, not too fussed. I don't think he has the pace for our system. With Lennon and Pearce coming back we have three left footed center halves, so I don't think him providing cover there is helpful. Both Lennon and Sarr can slot in at left back. And I'm hoping that Mascoll gets a couple more chances in the second half of the season.
    Although adequate in an emergency, really don't want either Sarr or Lennon at LB. Agreed that Mascoll looks promising though so it's certainly not a priority to improve.

Definitely need 2 strikers to replace Dodoo and Best. Don't think we need a CM, we already have a very good one in Aribo who has barely played.
    Agree about Aribo AND Dijksteel, both of whom I think could come into the midfield without a huge drop-off in quality. Or rather, I think we'd really struggle to find players of significantly higher quality. There would be a dip in quality, but that's largely because JFC and Kashi are so good. The thinking here seems to be that the best thing for Aribo's development would be for him to go out on loan. And while I understand that, again I think it would take some doing to get a replacement of higher quality.

Also agree re: strikers, though I would say Best has two months to play himself into consideration for one of those two spots, as Karl said the other day. Hopefully he's on a low base, pay-as-you-play deal. If he can play himself into form and get a couple goals, then great. I suspect one of the two "new" strikers will be one of Best, Hanlan, or Umerah. I think they're all competing for the back up "target man/lone forward" role. Then we'll be looking to either buy or loan a diffrerent type of forward. Whether that's a quick player, like Madvididi or what Dodoo was supposed to be, or a poacher akin to (though it will not be) Grigg, I don't know. Will probably depend on what's available, and frankly I don't think much will be available.
  • edited December 2017

Do we even want Godden? Hasn't had a good season so far (not looking too much into it just basing it from goals scored) Stevenage main forward seems to be a player called Danny Newton. I would like better tbh, we need a finisher up front not another 'hard worker'

He's got 9 goals so far this season - how many has Magennis got ??? Yes, he may have to make the step up, but he would be playing in a better team & one that (should) create more chances for him. Put me in Man City or Liverpool's team & I reckon I could score a few, even at my age.
    He scored a hatrick against Nantwich in the FA cup mate which has boosted up his tally, he only has 6 league goals, hardly the finisher type we need unless he has not been playing? Otherwise those aren't good stats
  • Sponsored links:

He scored a hatrick against Nantwich in the FA cup mate which has boosted up his tally, he only has 6 league goals, hardly the finisher type we need unless he has not been playing? Otherwise those aren't good stats
    About the same number as Maggennis, who has played every minute of every game.
  • Didnt he leave us when he was 15/16

Yeah he's the one Man Utd signed from us but did everything above the book
  • Hopefully we can swap Magennis for another striker and buy another one. I would quite like a fit Igor back. Hanlon and Umerah are not yet 3rd tier strikers.

we got about 500k for him for Man Utd about four years or so ago. Been working his way down the leagues ever since.

Checking the stats, Will Grigg only has 4 league goals this season!
  • edited December 2017
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Ditto.

Agree about Aribo AND Dijksteel, both of whom I think could come into the midfield without a huge drop-off in quality. Or rather, I think we'd really struggle to find players of significantly higher quality. There would be a dip in quality, but that's largely because JFC and Kashi are so good. The thinking here seems to be that the best thing for Aribo's development would be for him to go out on loan. And while I understand that, again I think it would take some doing to get a replacement of higher quality.

Also agree re: strikers, though I would say Best has two months to play himself into consideration for one of those two spots, as Karl said the other day. Hopefully he's on a low base, pay-as-you-play deal. If he can play himself into form and get a couple goals, then great. I suspect one of the two "new" strikers will be one of Best, Hanlan, or Umerah. I think they're all competing for the back up "target man/lone forward" role. Then we'll be looking to either buy or loan a diffrerent type of forward. Whether that's a quick player, like Madvididi or what Dodoo was supposed to be, or a poacher akin to (though it will not be) Grigg, I don't know. Will probably depend on what's available, and frankly I don't think much will be available.
    Umerah is not really that type of player. He is more a quick poacher type but can also run the channels. He has been playing as a 'shadow striker' at Wycombe and they're pretty impressed with him by the sounds of it.

we got about 500k for him for Man Utd about four years or so ago. Been working his way down the leagues ever since.
    Had a quick look, surprised to see he left in 2009. Now settled into the Conference (or National League as it's now called) where he's been since 2014/15.
  • Jeff Stelling loves him..............always has the play on the word ISA. We could do worse than invest in him
  • Sponsored links:

• If we’re looking to take a punt on a league 2 striker I’d prefer Christian Doidge to Godden. Smashed it in the Conference last year and seems to have stepped up well this year with 11 so far.
  • Punts for players from the lower leagues in January should be for the under 23 squad only.

The first team need a proven striker at this level or higher.
  • Redrobo said:

Punts for players from the lower leagues in January should be for the under 23 squad only.

The first team need a proven striker at this level or higher.

Good luck finding him in January

The only players at this level or higher will be the likes of Leon Best who doesnt already have a club or your Mavididi's of the world who'll be loaned out from the Premier League
  • There will be players in league two capable of stepping up. The likes of Vardy, Ollie Watkins, Andre Gray are prime examples of that. We could have signed any of them had we made a move for them when they were in a lower division.

Appreciate that there are many that don't make the step up but we can't rule league two out altogether as an option.

Agree with he poster on here who suggested Danny Hylton could step up. I rated him at Oxford....doubt Luton would let him go in their current position though (but he is 6ft!).
  • Sage said:

I kid you not, yesterday I am 80-90% sure I saw Igor in Sparrows Lane. Not trying to add fuel or anything but when I drove passed, it looked just like him doing a turn in the road. Probably not but there we go.

maybe he was doing his driving test?
  • Dodoos loan spell is getting cut short apparently. Heard he isn't happy with the limited chances he's getting
  • Dodoos loan spell is getting cut short apparently. Heard he isn't happy with the limited chances he's getting

Not surprised. 3-1 down in the cup & the manager puts on a defender with 5 mins to go. If I was Dodoo I would have got up from the bench, told KR where to stick it & got the first flight back to Jocko land.

Not surprised. 3-1 down in the cup & the manager puts on a defender with 5 mins to go. If I was Dodoo I would have got up from the bench, told KR where to stick it & got the first flight back to Jocko land.
    Thought he was injured in the warm up?
  • Inevitable that Dodoo will return north of the border sooner than later. On the few occasions I have seen him, he has looked a fish out of water, and terminating his loan is the sensible thing to do both for the player and the club.

The funny thing is that until April, the same could be said about Dasilva, who was permanently on the bench and not coming on!