Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    To have controls you either increase massively border officers throughout the UK or border controls in Ireland, or both.
    And probably pay north of 350 million per week to do the checks.
  • Options

Just sat an interview with a bloke from a French company who expanded into the UK, Germany and Italy a couple of years back, but are concentrating their efforts in the UK.

#livedexperience #notanewspaperlink

So let me get this straight. You've used Freedom of Movement to relocate yourself to France, and avail yourself of their often superior State services, and now you are going to use the same Single Market rules to apply for employment with a French company? The profits from your work and the shareholders to whom you will be acccountable, will be in France?

You sir, are a Traitor. We don't need your sort in the bright new Brexit Britain anyway. We need British patriots, taking advantage of the great new trade deal with India...

:-)

I play by whatever rules are in place, wherever I'm living at the time. Unlike a lot of other British immigrants who live here, I got fully registered to live and work here and to pay into this system as soon as I arrived, and I never knew anything about having to have a kidney transplant at the time.

If at any point, then or now, there were / are any hoops to jump through, because of Brexit or any other reason, and I wanted to stay here, I would jump through them without moaning, or feeling like the French hated me. If I didn't meet the grade or couldn't be bothered ump through the hoops, I'd move back to the UK to whatever fate I faced.

I call it the 3 UPS -

Man UP
    Pull me socks UP
    Shut UP
  • Options
    ...... All the above I have made clear from the start and I still feel the same way.
  • Options

Just sat an interview with a bloke from a French company who expanded into the UK, Germany and Italy a couple of years back, but are concentrating their efforts in the UK.

So let me get this straight. You've used Freedom of Movement to relocate yourself to France, and avail yourself of their often superior State services, and now you are going to use the same Single Market rules to apply for employment with a French company? The profits from your work and the shareholders to whom you will be acccountable, will be in France?

You sir, are a Traitor. We don't need your sort in the bright new Brexit Britain anyway. We need British patriots, taking advantage of the great new trade deal with India...

I play by whatever rules are in place, wherever I'm living at the time. Unlike a lot of other British immigrants who live here, I got fully registered to live and work here and to pay into this system as soon as I arrived, and I never knew anything about having to have a kidney transplant at the time.

If at any point, then or now, there were / are any hoops to jump through, because of Brexit or any other reason, and I wanted to stay here, I would jump through them without moaning, or feeling like the French hated me. If I didn't meet the grade or couldn't be bothered ump through the hoops, I'd move back to the UK to whatever fate I faced.

I call it the 3 UPS -

Man UP
    Pull me socks UP
    Shut UP
    Good man, although I think you are struggling with the third UP, no? :-)

But look, do you not stop to reflect that it is great that you had the choice to do all the above, but you now vote and strongly support a decision that denies other equally correct and deserving UK citizens the chance to follow in your footsteps and example?

• Options

I call it the 3 UPS -

Man UP
    Pull me socks UP
    Shut UP
    Good man, although I think you are struggling with the third UP, no? :-)

But look, do you not stop to reflect that it is great that you had the choice to do all the above, but you now vote and strongly support a decision that denies other equally correct and deserving UK citizens the chance to follow in your footsteps and example?

I shut up a long time ago mate, I only posted on this thread because you Quoted me.

Re: Deserving UK citizens; Like I keep saying, play the cards you've been dealt. If, when I decided to move here it was more difficult than what it was for people who moved here 10 years before me, I wouldn't have looked to anyone to blame and it ain't like I wanted Brexit just so it would stop anyone doing the same thing as I've done.
  • Options

In the meantime, net immigration is reducing by 20,000 every quarter.

TBF, the latest immigration figures show a return to the 2014 levels of 100,000 EU migrants. It's a bit of a spin to say "it is reducing by 20k every quarter".

The UK doesn't need more controls when a 15% currency devaluation and political uncertainty means that net immigration might reduce to 100,000 within a couple of years.

"Might" being the key word.
    What if it goes back up to 300,000+ a year instead ?
    If we have no controls - we can never stop this figure rising.
    And what if there is "political uncertainty" elsewhere in the EU ? - our front door is wide open to millions.

In a normal scenario that might lend support to maintaining the four freedoms but we live in interesting times... Perhaps Labour will move towards a permanent SM/CU solution as opposed to just the interim? Just another way to ramp up pressure and push May over the edge.

Corbyn has always been anti - EU, and couldn't push a supermarket trolley over the edge, let alone a Prime Minister.

Can't buy any of that! You're missing the point - EU migration into the UK is on a downwards trend not because regulations have changed but because we have become a less attractive country. Given that EU migrants contribute more in taxes than they consume in public services, that's not good.

Nobody on the leave side quantified what level immigration should be. Ultimately immigrants and the EU have been set up as scapegoats for failings in public services and the housing market. Interesting as nothing will actually be solved by blaming immigrants or leaving the EU.

That you are still peddling the Farage/UKIP (Trump / Le pen) line that millions of immigrants might still come over next Tuesday shows that some remain entrenched in this position, despite a reduction in net migration and a deterioration in growth prospects.

Voters are waking up to this. People can make vacuous points about Corbyn but he's the one who has travelled from 26% to 44% in the polls whilst the Tories are consistently polling less than 40%. It is Corbyn and McDonnell who put together a manifesto that addressed the real issues behind the vote.

The hard right can keep on with their nonsense. Back in the real world May is meeting in Brussels and we will all see what Brexit is starting to actually look like. Hints are that N.Ireland will have regulatory alignment and freedom of movement with Dublin.

Perhaps millions of Romanians will now enter the UK via Belfast?!
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    News today makes it sound like there will be a border between Ireland and Britain rather than on the island of Ireland with Northern Ireland remaining in the customs union. It will be interesting to see how the DUP react to that.
    How does that sit with Brexiters and Remainers? If it happens it moves us one step closer to a united Ireland. Would Brexiters give up Northern Ireland if they got to leave the EU fully, or is breaking up the Union too high a price?

Edit: Clarifying difference Between EU and UK
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Chizz said:

So everyone gets what they want. Except London, Edinburgh and Belfast.

And the DUP.

And, by extension, threatens the DUP's support for the government, which, in turn threatens the real prospect of a minority UK government.

And it opens up an opportunity for the SNP to scupper Brexit.

And means that, for the first time in history, the UK has to have an international border within its own territory.

And people who voted "leave" in order to take back control of our borders will have seen that control passed from Brussels to London, then Belfast, before settling in Dublin.

And the UK government will no longer be able to set the regulatory framework for the whole of the UK - it will, in fact, have less influence on regulation than it does now.

And part of the UK - N Ireland - will not be able to vote for the body (the EU) that sets its regulations.

And it causes an existential crisis for the UK, while making a second Scottish independence referendum much more likely.

But, on the other hand, blue passports.

Tweet from the Irish Tanaiste: I suspect the border will look much like what it looks today. We have language now that gives us the safeguards we need and reassurance that hard border will not re-emerge.

So regulatory alignment between North and South => Scotland and London demand "regulatory alignment" with Belfast (and the EU) => no divergence is allowed in United Kingdom until March 2019 => and for longer during a "transition period" => nothing changes until Liam Fox unveils brand new trade deals in 2021... except he won't be in office then and nobody will collapse the house of cards for the sake of imaginary trade deals!

However, if nothing is changing then the question is why the UK has to pay a €50Bn divorce bill as well as sacrificing 0.5% GDP growth every year?

Congrats to May for getting through 2018 in one piece but nothing has changed - the minute her or one of the Cabinet propose something that doesn't meet the EU27 criteria and appetite then it all collapses and we could see a 5% drop in GDP costing 500,000 jobs. Hotel California!

@Dippenhall will rage. And there might come a time in the future for a second referendum as per the wish of @PragueAddick

Right now, respecting the referendum and campaigning for Brexit in name only (regulatory alignment) is the way forwards and will carry us to the next election in one piece.

• Options

Chizz said:

So everyone gets what they want. Except London, Edinburgh and Belfast.

And the DUP.

And, by extension, threatens the DUP's support for the government, which, in turn threatens the real prospect of a minority UK government.

And it opens up an opportunity for the SNP to scupper Brexit.

And means that, for the first time in history, the UK has to have an international border within its own territory.

And people who voted "leave" in order to take back control of our borders will have seen that control passed from Brussels to London, then Belfast, before settling in Dublin.

And the UK government will no longer be able to set the regulatory framework for the whole of the UK - it will, in fact, have less influence on regulation than it does now.

And part of the UK - N Ireland - will not be able to vote for the body (the EU) that sets its regulations.

And it causes an existential crisis for the UK, while making a second Scottish independence referendum much more likely.

But, on the other hand, blue passports.

Tweet from the Irish Tanaiste: I suspect the border will look much like what it looks today. We have language now that gives us the safeguards we need and reassurance that hard border will not re-emerge.

So regulatory alignment between North and South => Scotland and London demand "regulatory alignment" with Belfast (and the EU) => no divergence is allowed in United Kingdom until March 2019 => and for longer during a "transition period" => nothing changes until Liam Fox unveils brand new trade deals in 2021... except he won't be in office then and nobody will collapse the house of cards for the sake of imaginary trade deals!

However, if nothing is changing then the question is why the UK has to pay a €50Bn divorce bill as well as sacrificing 0.5% GDP growth every year?

Congrats to May for getting through 2018 in one piece but nothing has changed - the minute her or one of the Cabinet propose something that doesn't meet the EU27 criteria and appetite then it all collapses and we could see a 5% drop in GDP costing 500,000 jobs. Hotel California!

@Dippenhall will rage. And there might come a time in the future for a second referendum as per the wish of @PragueAddick

Right now, respecting the referendum and campaigning for Brexit in name only (regulatory alignment) is the way forwards and will carry us to the next election in one piece.

Not to mention 50% of the electorate according to the latest poll. Too busy with OS to dig out the link but it was released in the last few days, pukka organisation.

• Options
    edited December 2017

TBF, the latest immigration figures show a return to the 2014 levels of 100,000 EU migrants. It's a bit of a spin to say "it is reducing by 20k every quarter".

The UK doesn't need more controls when a 15% currency devaluation and political uncertainty means that net immigration might reduce to 100,000 within a couple of years.

And what if there is "political uncertainty" elsewhere in the EU ? - our front door is wide open to millions.

In a normal scenario that might lend support to maintaining the four freedoms but we live in interesting times... Perhaps Labour will move towards a permanent SM/CU solution as opposed to just the interim? Just another way to ramp up pressure and push May over the edge.

Corbyn has always been anti - EU, and couldn't push a supermarket trolley over the edge, let alone a Prime Minister.

Can't buy any of that! You're missing the point - EU migration into the UK is on a downwards trend not because regulations have changed but because we have become a less attractive country. Given that EU migrants contribute more in taxes than they consume in public services, that's not good.

Nobody on the leave side quantified what level immigration should be. Ultimately immigrants and the EU have been set up as scapegoats for failings in public services and the housing market. Interesting as nothing will actually be solved by blaming immigrants or leaving the EU.

That you are still peddling the Farage/UKIP (Trump / Le pen) line that millions of immigrants might still come over next Tuesday shows that some remain entrenched in this position, despite a reduction in net migration and a deterioration in growth prospects.

Voters are waking up to this. People can make vacuous points about Corbyn but he's the one who has travelled from 26% to 44% in the polls whilst the Tories are consistently polling less than 40%. It is Corbyn and McDonnell who put together a manifesto that addressed the real issues behind the vote.

The hard right can keep on with their nonsense. Back in the real world May is meeting in Brussels and we will all see what Brexit is starting to actually look like. Hints are that N.Ireland will have regulatory alignment and freedom of movement with Dublin.

We have virtually full employment in UK - so no point in coming, as they won't be able to contribute in taxes as you describe.

Maybe not, but successive UK PM's have offered the figures of "tens of thousands" and "below 100 thousand", and they were both "Remainers".

Whatever one thinks of Farage, a point he made is still valid, i.e. as members of the EU we have no control over the number of EU citizens that can come to the UK.

Nor do we have any say in which individuals the EU27 give EU citizenship to in the future.
    Interesting use of the word "peddling" too.

He is in opposition so his popularity is valueless. The polls can say whatever they like - and we all know how accurate they can be!
    Labour policies are often un-costed, and they did not win the most seats at the last election.

Post-Brexit - If you are in the UK without the required authorisation, then you could be detained, deported, or both.
    Same goes for any nationality, and same goes for most countries in the world.
  • Options

We have virtually full employment in UK - so no point in coming, as they won't be able to contribute in taxes as you describe.

Maybe not, but successive UK PM's have offered the figures of "tens of thousands" and "below 100 thousand", and they were both "Remainers".

Whatever one thinks of Farage, a point he made is still valid, i.e. as members of the EU we have no control over the number of UK citizens that can come to the UK.

Nor do we have any say in which individuals the EU27 give EU citizenship to in the future.

He is in opposition so his popularity is valueless. The polls can say whatever they like - and we all know how accurate they can be!
    Labour policies are often un-costed, and they did not win the most seats at the last election.

Post-Brexit - If you are in the UK without the required authorisation, then you could be detained, deported, or both.
    Not that I am one to be picky, you understand, but I'm reasonably certain that, with the possible exception of some kind of lesser status UK citizens/subjects, membership of the EU has no effect on the number of UK citizens that can come to the UK.
  • Options
    It sounds like we've pretty much caved to every one of the EU's demands. Sounds less like a negotiation and more like a capitulation.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

It sounds like we've pretty much caved to every one of the EU's demands. Sounds less like a negotiation and more like a capitulation.

But the DUP have pretty much blocked it. May might have to up the bribe.

Taken back control my arse.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

se9addick said:

But the DUP have pretty much blocked it. May might have to up the bribe.

Taken back control my arse.

Like a wishful and primitive form of diarrhoea control, all that's needed is a bigger bung (hopefully).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Whatever one thinks of Farage, a point he made is still valid, i.e. as members of the EU we have no control over the number of UK citizens that can come to the UK.

Not that I am one to be picky, you understand, but I'm reasonably certain that, with the possible exception of some kind of lesser status UK citizens/subjects, membership of the EU has no effect on the number of UK citizens that can come to the UK.
    Typo corrected - thank you.
  • Options
    Are there still going to be street parties when the UK finally leave, as was suggested on here amongst other places, or is that very unlikely now? Genuine question - I get most of my news and views on Brexit from here and although its flaws have been pointed out in detail I guess many people are still happy with the decision, even though it is looking likely to be very watered down.
  • Options

Are there still going to be street parties when the UK finally leave, as was suggested on here amongst other places, or is that very unlikely now? Genuine question - I get most of my news and views on Brexit from here and although its flaws have been pointed out in detail I guess many people are still happy with the decision, even though it is looking likely to be very watered down.

Where's that then @CharltonMadrid ?
  • Options

Ireland just rubbing it in, flexing their sovereignty like that

Varadkar on a roll now talking to his surprise and disappointment that May couldn't follow through on an agreement made at lunchtime.

Something has to give this week else there is a three month delay. That in turn could see May turfed out of office? May can either ditch the DUP and run a minority government or ?
  • Options

Where's that then @CharltonMadrid ?
    This site, which may not be the best idea, but I find some of the contributions on here very informative. Brexit does get a bit of coverage in Spain but not much detail.
  • Options
    Before the last votes were counted and in, following the General Election this year, Theresa May emerged onto Downing Street without her Parliamentary majority, and hastily reminded us that she led the Conservative and Unionist Party.
    Then in her anxiety to establish a working majority until the next election, took ages to cobble together a deal with the little group of DUP MP's, urged on by a bribe.
    They say marry in haste repent at leisure don't they?
    For here we are with May suggesting an Irish solution that places the EU border in the Irish Sea, and her bedfellows are farting mightily under the duvet and rejecting the May cuddle so recently paid for.
    There is merit in the solution of a whole of Ireland arrangement in as much as it will piss off the fewest number of people, and not risk the Good Friday Agreement (hovering in the background are London and Scotland and others, Grimsby?, who wouldn't mind a similar arrangement to Ireland).
    But hold! Nay thrice nay! May has to pander to the Unionists she is in bed with and inhale the reek from the bedding for longer, hoping against hope that those fringe nutcases will have a shower, take an anti gas tablet, chew cloves and use a mouthwash.
    The irony is that yesterday it was the EU, the Irish government, and lurking Irish nationalism that was being painted as the big bad wolf, yet the very people May begged to shore up her majority are the ones who now growl.
    And the present impasse is (you guessed it, once again) entirely down to the UK.
    I know brexit is supposed to mean brexit, but didn't expect it to be Love Island where we watch fascinated at the break up of the wrinklies.
  • Options
    I enjoy Fintan O'Toole's columns, but I can imagine that some might not, I cannot remember as scathing an article before (and he's good at scathing): https://theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/04/hard-brexiters-britain-weaker-ireland-brexit-talks-irish-border-lesson.
  • Options
    But if it wasn't for the border, what would we do? We'd only have one parliament, instead of having two.

Plus it would ruin my smuggling business.
  • Options
    I am listening to Farage on LBC at the moment. He's on the verge of apoplexy. It's the funniest thing I have heard in a long time.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I am listening to Farage on LBC at the moment. He's on the verge of apoplexy. It's the funniest thing I have heard in a long time.

Maybe he could donate future EU pension payments to fighting the good cause.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!