Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sinusitis

Anyone got any miracle cures for this foul fiend? I've been told all sorts the past couple of days, from acupressure to steaming to eating chillies

Any suggestions?

Comments

• If it's bad you have to see the doctor for antibiotics. If not at that stage, a hot shower helps open the passages. I also used to take antihistamines which are for hay fever but help with inflammation of the passages.
  • edited December 2017
    I suffered from this all through my childhood into my late 30's,for some strange reason it seems to have eased off in recent years.I think I tried everything apart from leeches and a sinus drain to get rid of it.

Steaming eased it a bit,sorry I can't help more as I know how crap this can be.
  • Problem is most sinusitis is viral and not bacterial, so antibiotics won't do much.

I'm a "try not to take drugs if I can help it" kinda guy too
  • Big bowl of boiling water with Olbus oil in it. Towel over the head and deep breaths through the nose. It's quite intense but it helps.
    Plus Sudofed type stuff.
  • Stick with leeches.......the greedy little fuckers love a nice bit of snot!
  • Steaming is good. Also salt water spray that you can get from the chemist squirted up the nose.
  • nasal irrigation with mild warm salty water is something i have used and works well once you get used to it. see example below. Sometimes called neti pots. Its amazing the gunk that comes out of the sinuses!!

http://www.pharmacyathand.co.uk/Nasopure_Nasal_Wash_-_Sinus_Irrigation_System_-_8_ounce_bottle/nasopure-nasal-wash---sinus-irrigation-system---8-ounce-bottle-jm2.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg_XX-sfw1wIVTbXtCh1kuglVEAkYBiABEgJi9fD_BwE
  • Yep. Another vote for neti pots. Absolute lifesaver for me - have a deviated septum from when I broke my nose in a moshpit 25 years ago and never got it fixed. Every time I get a bad cold I can't breathe properly for days. Neti pot provides amazing relief. Like Hardy says - you literally won't believe it when you see the mucus drain out
  • I believe live yoghurt applied directly helps. Or Canestan.
  • Had a lot of problems with my sinuses in my teens and adulthood, so much so that I went into hospital to have them drained.

Woke up after the op and all I could see was my huge bulbous nose,which had been stuffed full of padding, of course I didn’t know that and panicked.

When they came to remove said padding, the bloody stuff just kept coming, the nurses were over the other side of the room pulling it all out, must of been miles of the stuff!

Anyway could finally smell and breath through my nose at last, lasted a day before going back to normal.

What I did find out in the process, apart from don’t bother having the op, was that I was allergic to cats and I had two at the time, one used to love sleeping on my face at night. So sadly they had to go.

My sinuses are better today but still occasionally flare up, I think because of all the pollution and when I do get a cold seems to last forever.

The links to the nasal drain sounds interesting and might give that a go.
    Tried all the steaming and various oils and while they do help, don’t last very long.

Sorry not much help.
  • Sponsored links:

• Would totally back what’s said above about neti pots. I use Sinurinse which is totally natural and has worked so much better than any other medication I’ve tried. Rinsing is unpleasant but it’s all about the end result. Good luck with it Sam as I know how awful it can make you feel.
  • Cutting out dairy products helps some sufferers, so may be worth a try. Give it at least a week to see if it helps, longer if you can.
  • Had a lot of problems with my sinuses in my teens and adulthood, so much so that I went into hospital to have them drained.

Woke up after the op and all I could see was my huge bulbous nose,which had been stuffed full of padding, of course I didn’t know that and panicked.

When they came to remove said padding, the bloody stuff just kept coming, the nurses were over the other side of the room pulling it all out, must of been miles of the stuff!

Anyway could finally smell and breath through my nose at last, lasted a day before going back to normal.

What I did find out in the process, apart from don’t bother having the op, was that I was allergic to cats and I had two at the time, one used to love sleeping on my face at night. So sadly they had to go.

My sinuses are better today but still occasionally flare up, I think because of all the pollution and when I do get a cold seems to last forever.

The links to the nasal drain sounds interesting and might give that a go.
    Tried all the steaming and various oils and while they do help, don’t last very long.

Sorry not much help.

...I’ve got a ferret sticking up my nose
  • Either cut back or substantially increase the use of Bolivian marching powder
  • edited December 2017
    Squirt of the old salty sea water up my hooter works wonders. I buy mine from a european chemists as they sell individual doses.

I normally get it bad this time of year once the heating dries out the air...guess I need to live in a cold quagmire.
  • I find Sterimar allegies and sinsusitus spray (a salt spray) from the chemist helps me as I'm not the best with other nasal rinses (especially as I have a balance condition). I have also found The Salt Cave to be good during times of flare-ups (one in Bexleyheath slightly down from the station but also one in Central London). The first session is free and you sit in a room of salt for an hour (sounds weird but is surprisingly relaxing!). Steaming is good as well I have a steam inhaler from the chemist (I sometimes put Olbus oil in but I find the water is fine on its own with this.
  • Anyone had long term sinusitis or something like it?
    I had a classic heavy cold in December, then chest and breathing trouble, and for the last few weeks head pressure that i'm told is likely sinusitis. Antibiotics but no beneficial effect, nasal rinse yesterday helped. There's no congestion to speak of now but i can't believe how rough i feel and for this long. 

Also had a couple of camera flashes in my head this past week and worried about that and thinking a scan is in order.
    I had a classic heavy cold in December, then chest and breathing trouble, and for the last few weeks head pressure that i'm told is likely sinusitis. Antibiotics but no beneficial effect, nasal rinse yesterday helped. There's no congestion to speak of now but i can't believe how rough i feel and for this long. 

Also had a couple of camera flashes in my head this past week and worried about that and thinking a scan is in order.
    My partner's sister has had this for about 10 weeks now. My daughter is just getting over a 2 week bout and I had it for 2/3 weeks about a month ago.

Dr wasn't much help and was basically saying that it's a nasty virus which seems highly resistant to Antibiotics.

• A saline rinse infused with a mild steroid is what I take each day as recommended by my Consultant. He said Covid had given me polyps in my sinuses. 
  • Thanks both. Nice to know i'm not alone with it at least. I hope your symptoms alleviate rapidly too.
  • Sponsored links:

This is exactly what I had. Heavy cold from 15 December that turned to bronchitis. Was given antibiotics to clear my chest and ever since have had an almost permanent runny nose but with green rather than clear mucus. Its interesting seeing your post Swords as this must have been a virus going around that has left a similar legacy. I am trying a saline nasal spray to try and clear it 
  • I think a warm saline wash will help better than a spray. That’s my experience and what my Consultant tells me.

This is exactly what I had. Heavy cold from 15 December that turned to bronchitis. Was given antibiotics to clear my chest and ever since have had an almost permanent runny nose but with green rather than clear mucus. Its interesting seeing your post Swords as this must have been a virus going around that has left a similar legacy. I am trying a saline nasal spray to try and clear it 
    Very interesting. Almost exactly same course of events. I was thinking of asking for a different antibiotic but really mine is likely viral only. Green coloured mucous is a sign that's it's bacterial so maybe a different antibiotic could help you.

I took a penicillin with timings on when I could eat over 5 days and it was a hassle. Other antibiotics are avaialble and more suitable and you don't need to time them with eating! NICE guidance suggests co-amoxiclav.

The nasal rinse was really helpful. I am feeling a tad better again today because of that. It's pricey for what it is. Was hoping for more discharge from the nostrils but it definitely did a clearance job if only partial. The water literally goes up one nostril and out the other. The booklet that came with it was helpful too. This is the one I got-

Very interesting. Almost exactly same course of events. I was thinking of asking for a different antibiotic but really mine is likely viral only. Green coloured mucous is a sign that's it's bacterial so maybe a different antibiotic could help you.

I took a penicillin with timings on when I could eat over 5 days and it was a hassle. Other antibiotics are avaialble and more suitable and you don't need to time them with eating! NICE guidance suggests co-amoxiclav.

The nasal rinse was really helpful. I am feeling a tad better again today because of that. It's pricey for what it is. Was hoping for more discharge from the nostrils but it definitely did a clearance job if only partial. The water literally goes up one nostril and out the other. The booklet that came with it was helpful too. This is the one I got-

Does it affect your ears when you use this? I've been suffering from catarrh for some time, it seems to affect my throat as well. I have been thinking of try a sinus rinse but don't want to affect my ears.
  • I don't think so @ME14addick, not in normal use. You have to be careful not to squeeze the bottle too hard and the instructions are clear about that. It seemed to confine the clearance effect to the main sinus chamber across the bridge of the nose only. As i said the water goes up one nostril and out the other. I had a mild pop in one ear after but felt that was beneficial and possibly unrelated.  
  • It does not affect my ears @ME14addick. It possibly might improve them. I use the same Neilmed saline but with a bottle where you just push a button and the wash runs out at a controlled rate. 
  • I have what the docs call ‘post nasal drip’ which is due to hay fever. Really congested at times and can make me feel quite sick 🤢. By May I’ll probably be throwing up first thing. I used to worry I was pregnant but at 60 I guess that’s highly unlikely. 
    Steroid nasal sprays take the edge off it. 
  • Have you tried drinking cranberry juice?
  • I have what the docs call ‘post nasal drip’ which is due to hay fever. Really congested at times and can make me feel quite sick 🤢. By May I’ll probably be throwing up first thing. I used to worry I was pregnant but at 60 I guess that’s highly unlikely. 
    Steroid nasal sprays take the edge off it. 
    Loratadine allergy tablets do a job on post nasal drip. I used them at earlier stage of current illness and previous years after recommendation from docs. Obtainable at supermarket as own brand product and only cost £2-£3.