Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

25 years on, how many of us will be there for the anniversary game ?

Obviously a week to go and shit happens but 25 years is a long time. I wonder how many of us that were there for that comeback match are likely to be there next Saturday. My father and I were in the Covered End that day but he died a few years later. We’d bumped into a bunch of my old mates on the day that I’d lost touch with. I’d heard years back that one of them had died since and it’s been years since I’ve seen any of them at a match again and even allowing for the fact that I’d heard one or two may have been barred from the Valley they would probably have still been going to away games anyway if they were still around and supporting charlton. Could my own experience of only 50% of our two man party that day making it along to the 25th anniversary game be close to the actual percentage of the 7k that day that will also be there next Saturday ?

Comments

• Two of my three that are going Sat were there.
  • Same here really. My dad died recently so he won’t be there but he will be replaced by my son.
  • I actually think the number at both will be very small, 1,000 max

Me and the wife will be 2

But how many of the group those two went with that day won’t be there next week ?
  • Same here really. My dad died recently so he won’t be there but he will be replaced by my son.

So if it was just you and your dad that went to the back to the Valley game then that is also going to be 50% missing the anniversary game next week
  • 15,000 max and that's on the generous side.
  • edited December 2017
    I was at that great game, and will be there on Saturday. Been to about 95% of home games in between as well.

But how many of the group those two went with that day won’t be there next week ?
    Just the two of us went originally,he was my only friend at the time but I've managed to get another one in 25 years ;-)

So if it was just you and your dad that went to the back to the Valley game then that is also going to be 50% missing the anniversary game next week
    ‘Spose so.
    I know of 1 other who is now too ill to go.
  • Sponsored links:

Just the two of us went originally,he was my only friend at the time but I've managed to get another one in 25 years ;-)
    So will your original only friend be going to the anniversary game next week ?
  • Before we left the valley I never had a season ticket as the ground was so big you never needed one.
    On our return I could not get a ticket for our 1st game back as it was a sellout.
    That prompted me to buy a season ticket and I have had one ever since.
    Missing that 1st game back is still a major disappoint to me today.
    I shall have to celebrate twice as hard next Saturday to make up for missing out 25 years ago.
  • Yes, sorry obviously didn't make myself clear in the first place.
  • Was fortunate enough to get tickets for the game in 92 .Great day -was in the South Stand and the singing went on through the game.Was in the Oak after with many old players including Martin Robinson and was a truly great night.Looking forward to next week this time with Blackpool 72 and many others.COYR
  • I was there 25 years ago with my Dad, some 28 years after he took me to my first game at the Valley. He passed away in September and for that reason, let alone the regime and all that they have brought to the Club, I won't be there next week.
  • I was there, still have the photos and TV recordings. Airman looking very young and well stocked in the hair department!
    Still loved the seats in North with low roof, real atmosphere.
  • I was in the covered end with my brother(died 3 years back) his son and a good mate of mine, plus 4 other Charlton fans we had got to know well over the years.

All the lads have given up going to Charlton games and I stopped in protest at the end of the season they sold Kerms & Stevens and sacked Powell.

As far as i am aware Out of 8 there 25 years ago, there will be Zero of us going.
  • I was there then, and will be there on Saturday, as well as the Museum on Tuesday.
  • edited December 2017
    I almost didn’t get in!!!!
    I actually had a pre match dinner with Derek Hales in attendance paid for but that did not include a match ticket only a gala meal and coach transport to The Valley with Killer.......I think it was at The Black Prince......or could it have been The Beaverwood Club?
    Does anyone remember Les Fanthom?
    He and his family were huge Addicks fans and he had hospitality facilities at both Selhurst Park and Upton Park prior to our move back.
    He had promised me he could arainge a ticket for me with him and his gang......and right up to a few days before I had thought all was sorted. Well it wasn’t, but dear old Les failed to let me know!
    Can’t remember how I managed to get a rather ‘crummy’ last minute seat (with no pals in tow), in the end right next to where the scoreboard now is.....I must have called in a favour from someone at the time but I’ve no idea who.
    It was a really close call.......but I was there for the big day!
  • Sponsored links:

I actually think the number at both will be very small, 1,000 max

Me and the wife will be 2

That 1,000 prediction is starting to look a bit optimistic judging by the comments on the poll thread.
  • me, Golfie, our Mum and Dad will all be there as we were in 1992. Only @jimmymelrose won't be there.
  • I will have been at both.
  • I was at the return along with @TelMc32 & his dad. All 3 of us has season tickets up until the season before last. Not sure yet if we’ll be there for this game, if we decide, hope we can get tickets.
  • I will be there.
  • I was there in 92 but am unlikely to make next week. Would like to go but have something else booked in. Am trying to work around it but doesn’t look good.
  • I was there, still a season ticket holder, but only do night games these days as I work and travel and can't be arsed travelling W/E's, so will watch from afar, although will be @ Pompey away in April.
  • I was there with my dad and eldest daughter out of the 3 im the only one attending although my son will be at this one as well
  • I was there in 1992 with mates.

Going 2017 with my son.