Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Meire should boycott the Portsmouth game

This would allow fans to focus fully upon the 25 year anniversary of the Return to The Valley and the celebrations organised by CARD without the odious Duchatelet Regime being represented during the event by Duchatelet's work-experience puppet, and now lame-duck sidekick, grinning defiantly in the Director's box as the justifiable chants of Roland Out ring around the ground.

Katrien Meire stated, early on in the now flawed experiment which has rocked the foundations of The Club, that 'Roland doesn't do failure'.
For a woman of undoubted intelligence such a statement demonstrated that despite her academic qualifications she was incapable of reasoned thought.

Meire had successfully carried out business contract negotiations for Duchaetlet whilst he was at Standard Liege but this did not equip her for the executive role as CEO which Duchatelet foisted upon her seemingly on a whim as part of his grand Social Engineering/Football project.
She should have recognised this and not bought so comprehensively into Duchatelet's frighteningly simplistic and ill-thought out business plan - one which would have been laughed out of Dragons Den and which only had legs due to his financial clout from his main electronics enterprise.

Now, nearly 4 years on, there were signs that Meire is accepting of the fact that the Regime was underprepared for the task of running Charlton and that mistakes were made. 'Lessons have been learnt' was the mantra churned out following relegation and at the beginning of this season.

Even then, Meire, who was quite clearly instructed by her PA and media advisers to cease from making public comments for fear of putting her foot in her mouth (e.g. on many well-documented previous occasions) could not help herself and spoke on the record to journalists in Belgium once again raising claims about her being unfairly hounded by fans rather than addressing her own epic failings as a CEO.

The game v Portsmouth is not about Katrien Meire it is about a significant piece of Charlton history which has been wonderfully articulated by Airman Brown and others in VOTV and in other CL threads.

It is my belief that Katrien Meire should recognise this, do the decent thing for once in her life and announce that she is not going to attend the Portsmouth game. If she is indeed in the last months of her tenure then that gesture would be very welcome indeed IMO.

Comments

• edited December 2017
    Couldn't agree more however that's what you'd expect of a person with decent principals and morals. We can but hope but I won't be holding my breath as she'll want to finish on a high (in her defiant mind) and the woman has got more front than Sainsbury's.
  • Meire should have resigned years ago. She is not competent to run a football club. She doesn't have the necessary skills, she tells lies and she lets he supermassive ego get in the way of doing the right thing. If her concern was that the fans should enjoy their matches she'd have never take the post in the first place. If she did stay away for one match the fans would say that she was scared. I don't want her at the Portsmouth game, but that's because I want her and this awful regime gone by then, not because she's made a token gesture. BTW, I know that the fans who feel they can go to this one want to treat it as a celebration and I know that two shats has now gone on record saying he wants to sell, but I hope the fans don't allow the calendar date to give the regime a soft ride on the day.
  • I think the best we can hope for is she doesn't get on the pitch, microphone in hand and tell how fantastic everything is.
    IF she does I hope she is given what she deserves.
  • I think the best we can hope for is she doesn't get on the pitch, microphone in hand and tell how fantastic everything is.
    IF she does I hope she is given what she deserves.

Pretty sure the people now running the marketing will do everything they can to prevent such a disaster, after all she has been fairly well muzzled for a while now.

Think it could be fun though if she did stand on the pitch with mic in hand!
  • Anything she can do to get and keep the charlton fans extra vocal on the day is OK with me. Katrien grab that microphone
  • Assuming we get a good attendance,I think she should be forced to attend,just to show her how much the club has deteriorated under her guidance and how match days should be.
  • To be honest, I’d rather just ignore her. Let her sit in the directors box, this match is nothing to do with the Belgians
  • Does she even care? The less I see or hear from her the better.

It seems the club have only seen this game as an opportunity to bleed the away fans for a full price "golden" ticket knowing they would sell out. They should have made it a 1992 ticket price to induce a bigger home crowd to attend. But that's these idiots all over. Losing money hand over fist they'd rather make a desperate grab for some easy cash than worry about their own fans.
  • Good OP.

The clubs for sale Meire. Stay at home and put your feet up.

Otherwise you will see a packed out valley...which might shock you!
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:

Couldn't agree more however that's what you'd expect of a person with decent principals and morals. We can but hope but I won't be holding my breath as she'll want to finish on a high (in her defiant mind) and the woman has got more front than Sainsbury's.

She's got front, definitely.
  • " Lame duck " indeed.

We know what happens to ducks come Christmas .....

( Apologies for offending anyone but needed to be said )
  • This would allow fans to focus fully upon the 25 year anniversary of the Return to The Valley and the celebrations organised by CARD without the odious Duchatelet Regime being represented during the event by Duchatelet's work-experience puppet, and now lame-duck sidekick, grinning defiantly in the Director's box as the justifiable chants of Roland Out ring around the ground.

Katrien Meire stated, early on in the now flawed experiment which has rocked the foundations of The Club, that 'Roland doesn't do failure'.
    For a woman of undoubted intelligence such a statement demonstrated that despite her academic qualifications she was incapable of reasoned thought.

Meire had successfully carried out business contract negotiations for Duchaetlet whilst he was at Standard Liege but this did not equip her for the executive role as CEO which Duchatelet foisted upon her seemingly on a whim as part of his grand Social Engineering/Football project.
    She should have recognised this and not bought so comprehensively into Duchatelet's frighteningly simplistic and ill-thought out business plan - one which would have been laughed out of Dragons Den and which only had legs due to his financial clout from his main electronics enterprise.

Now, nearly 4 years on, there were signs that Meire is accepting of the fact that the Regime was underprepared for the task of running Charlton and that mistakes were made. 'Lessons have been learnt' was the mantra churned out following relegation and at the beginning of this season.

Even then, Meire, who was quite clearly instructed by her PA and media advisers to cease from making public comments for fear of putting her foot in her mouth (e.g. on many well-documented previous occasions) could not help herself and spoke on the record to journalists in Belgium once again raising claims about her being unfairly hounded by fans rather than addressing her own epic failings as a CEO.

The game v Portsmouth is not about Katrien Meire it is about a significant piece of Charlton history which has been wonderfully articulated by Airman Brown and others in VOTV and in other CL threads.

It is my belief that Katrien Meire should recognise this, do the decent thing for once in her life and announce that she is not going to attend the Portsmouth game. If she is indeed in the last months of her tenure then that gesture would be very welcome indeed IMO.

By raising it, by focussing on her aren't you making it about her rather than the game, the anniversary, the players and most of all the fans.
  • edited December 2017

" Lame duck " indeed.

We know what happens to ducks come Christmas .....

( Apologies for offending anyone but needed to be said )

Yeh, somebody gets done out of a leg for their dinner :-)

Must say, the pheasants in my garden are beginning to look rather plump lately.
  • edited December 2017
    Kap10 said:

This would allow fans to focus fully upon the 25 year anniversary of the Return to The Valley and the celebrations organised by CARD without the odious Duchatelet Regime being represented during the event by Duchatelet's work-experience puppet, and now lame-duck sidekick, grinning defiantly in the Director's box as the justifiable chants of Roland Out ring around the ground.

By raising it, by focussing on her aren't you making it about her rather than the game, the anniversary, the players and most of all the fans.
    Well, of course, the intention was quite the opposite.

and the sentence: 'The game v Portsmouth is not about Katrien Meire it is about a significant piece of Charlton history which has been wonderfully articulated by Airman Brown and others in VOTV and in other CL threads' does I think make that clear.

PS If I get a whoosh for this then I'll take it as I'm struggling with the logic!!!