Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

AFC Wimbledon v Charlton | Sun 03 Dec | Match Thread from page 3

AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic
Sunday 3rd December 2017 … 2pm Kick-Off
Referee: James Linington (Newport)

Introduction

Football League action takes another break this weekend with the return of the FA Cup… This weekend sees teams trying to battle past the second round and so setup a potential Premier League tie. Last time out in the competition saw Charlton hosting Non-League: Truro City; 3-1 was the score that Sunday afternoon, despite goals from Ben Reeves, Mark Marshall it wasn’t an overly comfortable victory with the Cornish side deserving their consolation goal. With the second round now upon us its only AFC Wimbledon that stand between Charlton and their own glamour tie!!

The Opposition
Name: AFC Wimbledon | Manager: Neal Ardley
Division: League One

One day prior to our own victory; AFC Wimbledon were facing Lincoln City… the latter a potential banana skin after their impressive run the year before, as per usual the Imps were expecting to produce the magic of the FA Cup once again. On this occasion though, history couldn’t repeat itself and a goal from Lyle Taylor after just seven minutes would seal the victory for the League One side and so setup this encounter.

When the BBC host the draw for each round they appear to enjoy commenting on the FA Cup winners that remain in each round and this draw is evident of that fact – 1947 was of course the famous day for the Addicks whilst the original Wimbledon tasted victory in 1988, a 1-0 win that day over Liverpool has gone down as one of the more memorial Finals over recent years.

Since their rebranding as AFC Wimbledon though there have only been 13 FA Cup campaigns for the Dons with the club having reached the third round on two occasions (both of those coming in the last three years) – For Charlton though most of their history has seen them entering at the third round, the years they have been in the second round usually result in them reaching the next round of the FA Cup with defeat at this stage happening on just four occasions… Last years defeat to Milton Keynes Dons coming for the first time since 1975.

Charlton Team News
On Tuesday night we saw another player disappearing off for treatment… Patrick Bauer made his return after a short absence yet was withdrawn from the action early in the second half meaning that he’ll now miss this Sundays match – Both Jason Pearce and Harry Lennon are nearing returns yet this weekend potentially being too soon with both potentially appearing in the Football League Trophy on Tuesday night.

Chris Solly was another absentee against Peterborough, having barely ever played in the FA Cup you’d expect his starting place to go to the impressive Anfernee Dijksteel (fresh from making his first League appearance) – With Leon Best finally signing a short term contract you’d expect to see him getting more minutes under his belt whilst Karlan Ahearne-Grant should hopefully be given a further confidence boost having just scored his first goal in two years.

Amos
Dijksteel | Konsa | Sarr | Jackson
Kashi | Forster-Caskey
Ahearne-Grant | Aribo | Marshall
Best

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Pearce | Cummings | Holmes | Dodoo | Hackett-Fairchild | Dasilva

Prediction
Having faced AFC Wimbledon once already this season, they’re an opposition I’m not too worried about facing… Strong in defence in the League, the Dons didn’t show much going forward yet in competition where there are no relegation risks they’ll have nothing to lose by attacking… Regardless the Addicks will want to start winning again and thus march on to the Third Round for yet another poor draw against Championship opposition.

Comments

• 2.1 Charlton
    Spurs away in the 3rd round and we all have a day out at Wembley

Nah it'll be Spurs v Millwall - We'll get someone like Burton | Bristol City | Reading!!
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • I think that our cup hopes will come to an end. 2-0 to the Dons.
  • 1-1 with replay on 12th December. (First home game under new owners?) .
  • Hope Jamie Mascoll gets a run out, I don't know what there is to be gained by playing the skipper at left back.

I'd be a little surprised if Kashi plays having played Saturday-Tuesday.

What I think we'll look like:

Phillips
    Dijksteel Konsa Sarr Mascoll
    .............Aribo.....Jackson
    Marshall.......Reeves........KAG
    .................Best

• However KR shuffles the pack, I think the best we'll get is the dreaded draw, 3-3.
  • SDAddick said:

Hope Jamie Mascoll gets a run out, I don't know what there is to be gained by playing the skipper at left back.

I'd be a little surprised if Kashi plays having played Saturday-Tuesday.

What I think we'll look like:

Phillips
    Dijksteel Konsa Sarr Mascoll
    .............Aribo.....Jackson
    Marshall.......Reeves........KAG
    .................Best

Forgot about Mascoll so good call - When writing I was reluctant to put Jacko @ LB so be surprised if he does start there

Same again I'd be surprised if both Kashi & Forster-Caskey start yet dont expect to see Reeves
  • Sponsored links:

• Would be very surprised to see Marshall, Reeves, and Kashi starting to be honest.
    Marshall needs a little rest unless he is going to play some of the game be taken off with a full week before the Portsmouth game.
    No chance they'll risk Reeves in my opinion. Same with Kashi, give the man a chance to rest up ready for the busy Christmas period.

Not entirely confident on this one, I do think we could go out, but I hope for a win and a great tie in the 3rd round.

Phillips
    Djiksteel Konsa Sarr Mascoll
    Jackson Forster-Caskey
    Ahearne-Grant Aribo Holmes
    Best
  • No idea what the team will be - will KR take it seriously or will he play KAG & Dodoo. Injuries piling up & with other players needing a rest (Kashi & Magennis) I can see quite a few of the youngsters playing & so sadly a defeat.

2-1 to the new scum.
  • We'll win this tie but at The Valley aet. 1-1 on Sunday.
  • Sage said:

Would be very surprised to see Marshall, Reeves, and Kashi starting to be honest.
    Marshall needs a little rest unless he is going to play some of the game be taken off with a full week before the Portsmouth game.
    No chance they'll risk Reeves in my opinion. Same with Kashi, give the man a chance to rest up ready for the busy Christmas period.

Not entirely confident on this one, I do think we could go out, but I hope for a win and a great tie in the 3rd round.

Phillips
    Jackson Forster-Caskey
    Best
    Agreed I think Marshall needs a little rest. He's played a lot of football after being out for three-ish months with injury. He looked knackered at the end of both Tuesday night and Saturday's games.

The problem of course is, if Robinson wants to take this seriously, AND assuming he wants to rest Holmes at least from the start (which I kind of automatically assumed), we don't really have anyone else for those three attacking positions. I suppose he could bring in Dodoo and play him out wide, Dodoo has played a lot of his senior football out wide. But after that you're looking at someone like a Tarique Anderson or Reeco I'd imagine.
  • Think we will cock up in true Charlton stylie...

1-0
  • 4-0 loss can then concentrate on league
  • clb74 said:

4-0 loss can then concentrate on league

Still have chech a trade
  • With all our injuries I think our team will be weak and I think we will struggle. Its a horrible ground and they will be desperate to put one over a certain Mr Robinson. 2-0 to Wimbledon leaves us to concentrate on the Checkertrade....
  • Sponsored links:

• Could be another 0-2.
  • edited December 2017
    Sage said:

Would be very surprised to see Marshall, Reeves, and Kashi starting to be honest.

Phillips
    Jackson Forster-Caskey
    Best
    Might Karl rest Holmes? Pick up any more injuries and we're in trouble.
    2-1 (Best)
  • edited December 2017
  • Say if we lose this one but then get a draw or a win in the league game then we would have got something from the more important game.
  • I'd be surprised if Solly wasn't back, he's not been mentioned as an injury issue. Then we can play Djiksteel in midfield and rest Kashi.

I expect Holmes to play. While his crossing was poor on Tuesday, he seemed to have bags of energy and didn't look like someone who needed a rest. Marshall needs resting though
  • Draw, replay in front of 4,500 at a ransacked Valley after the Portsmouth Dothraki depart.
  • se9addick said:

Draw, replay in front of 4,500 at a ransacked Valley after the Portsmouth Dothraki depart.

Probably to decide who plays Huddersfield.
  • Redrobo said:

I don't think he will rest Marshall. It is not a rest he needs, he needs to get fitter.

Karl's saying he needs a rest. I expect Marshall would know... but difficult to know who would replace him with so many out. KAG or Dodoo?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!