Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes 2017-18

Comments

• When you compare that side with what we have now......wow.
  • If they're all fit, the same eleven will be chosen. They won't mess about by bringing in a spinner. The Second test will all be about how Australia's batsmen cope against the pink ball against our seamers. We need to bowl fewer overs of spin at Adelaide than Brisbane, not more.
  • Chizz said:

If they're all fit, the same eleven will be chosen. They won't mess about by bringing in a spinner. The Second test will all be about how Australia's batsmen cope against the pink ball against our seamers. We need to bowl fewer overs of spin at Adelaide than Brisbane, not more.

There's no way they will pick Ball again - if they lose they would be slaughtered by press and fans alike- any fool can see he doesnt have it for Oz conditions.
  • Chizz said:

If they're all fit, the same eleven will be chosen. They won't mess about by bringing in a spinner. The Second test will all be about how Australia's batsmen cope against the pink ball against our seamers. We need to bowl fewer overs of spin at Adelaide than Brisbane, not more.

There's no way they will pick Ball again - if they lose they would be slaughtered by press and fans alike- any fool can see he doesnt have it for Oz conditions.
  • They won't pick two spinners, except maybe in Sydney
  • edited November 2017
    McBobbin said:

They won't pick two spinners, except maybe in Sydney

Agree with this. It might have been a bit different if say, Rashid was in the squad, but i dont think they'll chance Crane - it would just be a gamble.
    They'll probably chuck Crane in at Sydney with us 3 or 4 down, with no long term damage done if he's carted around the ground.

• Bayliss looks like a man who likes a risk. I think he might well pick Crane. Although Overton is equally likely
  • Leuth said:

Bayliss looks like a man who doesn't know one end of a cricket bat from the other

• edited November 2017
    Rumours circulating of Stokes at LHR with cricket gear....
  • Sponsored links:

• Vaughan, Aggers, cricket Ali denying it

Prior, piers morgan helping to stir pot....
  • Flying to NZ to practice and see family according to Skysports.

He will be at Perth, fingers crossed its 1-0 at worst.
  • Chizz said:

However, if Stokes is in town, I think they'll make a change!
  • edited November 2017
    Whats the concensus on the pink ball? swings? seams? spins?
  • Perhaps Stokes is off to Australia to punch Steve Smith, the only way England can get him out!
  • Flying to NZ to practice and see family according to Skysports.

He will be at Perth, fingers crossed its 1-0 at worst.

Why do you think he will be at Perth?
  • Just an inkling that something will change before that game

Adelaide is too soon even if he was cleared to play
  • Whats the concensus on the pink ball? swings? seams? spins?

It swings more than a red Kookaburra. And, to protect the ball, they leave a bit more grass on the pitch. So it'll seam too.

That's why I think they won't bother with a second spinner and why I think we have a very good chance of winning.

England have only played one game under lights - I was there - and we have a 100% winning record.
  • Chizz said:

It swings more than a red Kookaburra. And, to protect the ball, they leave a bit more grass on the pitch. So it'll seam too.

That's why I think they won't bother with a second spinner and why I think we have a very good chance of winning.

England have only played one game under lights - I was there - and we have a 100% winning record.
    Aussie have played 3 and won all of them. :-(
  • Riviera said:

Chizz said:

Aussie have played 3 and won all of them. :-(
    Good. They've more to lose then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Overton for Ball. Apart from that, I don't expect any changes.
  • Nothing happening in The Ashes world today, or we all got the 'ump still from the 1st?
  • Reckon so. Even I’ve turned back to football and heading to The Valley tonight! 2nd game this season.... will be back to cricket at 10pm i reckon....
  • Is stoakes end up in Australia or was it nz?
  • I’ve started packing , flying to Adelaide Thursday .
    First Ashes away match

Can I come?
  • Is stoakes end up in Australia or was it nz?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42148544

Ben Stokes: England all-rounder in talks with NZ side Canterbury

New Zealand side Canterbury have held talks with Ben Stokes after the England all-rounder was seen at Heathrow airport on Monday.

Stokes, 26, is not part of England's Ashes tour after being arrested on suspicion of actual bodily harm in September.

There was widespread speculation on social media that he was heading to Australia after being pictured at the airport.

That prompted the England and Wales Cricket Board to issue a statement denying he was joining up with the squad and confirming he was travelling to New Zealand to spend time with his family.

"Following the recent speculation surrounding Ben Stokes coming to New Zealand, Canterbury cricket can now confirm that they have been in initial informal discussions with Ben Stokes' representatives regarding his potential availability," a Canterbury statement said.

Canterbury's next fixture is on Sunday, which is the second day of the second Ashes Test.

England, the Ashes holders, lost the first Test against Australia by 10 wickets in Brisbane.

Stokes was arrested for his part in an incident outside a Bristol nightclub following England's third one-day international victory against West Indies.

He is still awaiting the outcome of the police investigation and is free to travel outside of the UK.

Though he was initially named in the Ashes squad, he was subsequently told he would not be selected by England "until further notice".

After Stokes was seen at Heathrow, an England statement said: "The ECB is aware that Ben Stokes is making a private trip to New Zealand to spend time with his family. His travel arrangements have not been arranged by the ECB.

"He is not on his way to the Ashes, England Lions or any other official training camps with the England set-up."

Stokes, who was born in New Zealand, was given permission by the ECB to travel on Friday.

Canterbury meet Otago in a 50-over match on Sunday.

Canterbury CEO Jeremy Curwin said: "The CCA Board and New Zealand Cricket will independently be considering this issue in the near future but, until then, we are unable to provide any more detail on the status of the deliberations.

"As and when there are any further developments we will of course release further statements."
  • So, its not as if Stokes has been stopped from leaving the country by the Police, tghen why couldnt he have played in The Ashes until such time as he gets the nod from plod?
  • I’ve started packing , flying to Adelaide Thursday .
    First Ashes away match

wow, Jealous or what?
    Adelaide is the one ground i want to go to the most with MCG up there in 2nd (already been to SCG).
    I hope you're taking something Charlton? - if not, then get something - we'll be looking out for you.
  • Stokes off to Canterbury? Had my hopes up for a minute that Kent had signed someone good!