Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Weight Loss Routine in the Gym

Could anyone give me some advice with the best routine in the Gym to loose weight/belly fat?

Comments

• edited November 2017
    DiscoCAFC said:

Could anyone give me some advice with the best routine in the Gym to loose weight/belly fat?

Get a PT for a few months to teach you what to do, change your lifestyle and more importantly - change your eating / drinking habits

Also, you will have good days and bad days in the gym. Just keep going though
  • I don’t know much about this but I can say what’s worked for me recently - only eating between 12-8pm while hitting the gym three times a week and walking 4 miles the other days (it’s easy for me to walk to work). It’s a fairly lazy diet but after two weeks weight started dropping off!

At the gym I do small dumbbell weights, some weight machines, rowing, cycling and sit-ups/ press ups. I don’t know what I’m doing, I don’t like being in there, but it’s enough.

A friend lost three stone, and he told me weights burn way more calories than cardio and he seems to be right so far!
  • SDAddick said:

Full disclosure, I've had different problems with my metabolism, lost a lot of weight, put on a lot of weight, lost a lot of weight, so I'm personally not a good example.

But in reading a lot and in personal experience, I'd say if you can commit to 30 minutes of cardio four times a week that should really help. I also recommend Fitbit or one of the calorie/step counting apps as it can help you track the calories you're burning and the ones you're taking in. It's pretty normal to see your appetite increase as you increase what you're burning, and I've found those calorie/step counters can really help you understand that and find a sweet spot visa vi food and workout.

Also, and this is a big thing for me, try to make it so that you are challenging yourself. Whether that's in terms of duration, difficulty, doing intervals (high intensity then low intensity), I've found it's easy to fall into a routine and struggle to up it and that means that you end up hitting a brick wall.

Good luck to you mate. It's not easy, but it's really rewarding.

Thanks for the advice mate, I'll try the cardio for sure.

I'm not overly fat but I've never felt as heavy as I am now and as it's coming up to Christmas I better do something quickly before I put on anymore weight!
  • Leg weights are a good way to burn fat. Lots of fat stored in them.
  • edited November 2017
    Often the biggest problem can be motivation to keep going, once the immediate improvement slows down.

The problem with motivation is that different things work for different people.

It's always good to set yourself realistic targets, but there can be a real benefit to finding a personal trainer or exercise class that works for you, even for one session a week. Some people enjoy boot camp and the like, where you get a lot of shouting, but most of us probably didn't go to public school.

Challenge yourself to do something that you might laugh at others doing (for me, I started with the most embarrassing class possible at the start - aqua fit - and after that, nothing, not even being the only male sweaty lump in an aerobics class of c60 people was a problem). I'd definitely recommend considering Pilates, improved posture and core strength can have dramatic effects.

Mix things up, preferably in a structured way, so your exercise routine doesn't become too routine.

Get plenty of sleep.

A food diary may help identify where to reduce your intake, because, sadly, it is the key to weight loss.

Mind you, I'm no-one to talk now, I've been backsliding for a couple of years, and am working hard on my sumo body. I've been concentrating on curries, both cooking and eating.
  • A set of hand weights / dumbbells (2.5 to 10kg per arm)

Might be quite expensive then...

• High intensity for short period of time. On the rowing machine I warm up for a few minutes then it's 30 seconds going as hard and fast as possible, 30 second rest, 30 flat out, 30 rest for ten minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• DiscoCAFC said:

Easy way to lose weight without going to the gym ... cut down on the carbs, get a fit bit, download my fitness pal, log everything you eat with no cheating and have a brisk walk for 45mins per day
  • Weight loss isn't just related to eating less or eating better.

You need solid sleep

Reduce stress levels if you can

Lift weights, replace the fat with lean muscle.

Do lots of different work outs, don't just stick to the same sort of idea that going running will help.

You need to attack the fat with full force.

This is coming from someone that recently had a minor fat problem and got rid.

I very highly recommend cycling every day. Ride to work and back if you can.

You will see a rapid change if you do that.
  • Easier said than done but if you are spending £30-50 a week on food and drink that's not good for you then try to cut it out and spend on a personal trainer who should be able to assist in diet and exercise.

Most people don't have the disposable income for a PT but if you can afford it, even for 3 months to learn stuff then do it.
  • Too many people stick to cardio. If your serious about losing weight, and your fit enough, start off with a weights and do cardio at the end of your work out. This will burn fat quicker than just cardio. Stick to a 5/2 diet and don’t eat after your last meal of the day around 6-7pm. I just wish I could do it.
  • Alternatively if you don’t like gym cardio, like me, I took up playing squash 2/3 times a week. I had never played before but it’s an extremely simple sport and 40 mins of cardio whilst thrashing my mate!

Waterfront Woolwich have 4 courts, about £6pp
  • edited November 2017
    If it's just your stomach you're looking to tone then planks are by far the best body shape changer. My advice as a starting point would be:

Drink 2 litres of water a day as a minimum. Keeping hydrated gives you more energy and makes you feel fuller.

Have a look on YouTube for good work out routines around core strength and conditioning and tailor it to your own fitness levels / goals.

If you're looking to lose weight without changing your diet and hate exercise a good 'cheat' is to put some good music on your phone and get on a treadmill and walk quickly for 30 minutes. Put at a 5% incline at 7 km/h. Depending on your weight you can burn as many as 500 calories in that time and the incline helps tone your legs and stomach.
  • Not changed my eating habits at all, but with all our new donated land for walking our dogs I just walk for hours and I now weigh less than I did less year at a stone and half lost.
  • edited November 2017
    Use more calories than you consume and get a kettle bell to swing around at home... those things are great
  • Sponsored links:

• Apparently you can't 'spot burn' fat (ie. tons of sit ups won't burn off a beer gut) - however you'll look more toned if/when you reduce your general fat levels through the usual route (ie. burning more calories than you consume).
  • By far the best way to lose weight is running. Unfortunately, it's also one of the easiest ways to injure yourself if you're heavy to start with - so bit of a vicious circle! Cycling is also a reasonably good solution - but it has to be at a high intensity rather than just pootling along. If you can find a gym with wattbikes, they're a cracking tool. Do a test to establish your power zones, then work to a plan involving intervals, sprints and tempo work. Have to stick at it though, and be disciplined about the fridge.

Generally, more calories out than in will see you lose weight, but after the first few kilos (which should fall off pretty quickly), you need to be aware that 'normal' gym work will burn through your carbs rather than your fat - so consider both upping the intensity of your intervals and changing the make-up of your diet accordingly. Up the percentage of fats and lower the percentage of carbs - sounds counter-intuitive, but provided you don't increase the calories (just change how you get them) it helps your body adapt to burning fat instead of carbs. There's no way you can 'just' burn fat - it doesn't work like that - but changing the makeup of your diet and intensity of your exercise will help.

When I first started to get 'serious' about the bike and began racing, I kept smashing myself to bits in training and wondering why I didn't see any results in races. Changing what I ate, and introducing focused intensity work over the winter made a huge difference.

Weights burn loads of calories, but I've always found the temptation to do too much too quickly is to great - and ended up knackering myself out. Agree about getting a PT for a few months. They'll give you a proper plan to work towards, and be able to advise you how to prevent injuries/burnout.
  • what's a gym?
  • Running did it for me, fairly long distance plods to be honest rather than interval stuff too much (which many swear by, and in theory is also better).

Combine that with eating fairly well and it dropped off over a couple of months. After a long run I like to binge eat, so just making sure the stuff I had available to me afterwards wasn't cancelling out what I'd just done was pretty important.
  • Rothko said:

Stephen Bush on the Irish issue is excellent.

Good morning. Over before Christmas? The question of the Irish border shows no sign of being answered or even, as the British government would like, parked until negotiations move on from legacy issues to the future relationship.

Is Liam Fox right to say that the question of the Irish border cannot be resolved until the terms of trade between the United Kingdom and the European Union are? Well, yes and no. The exact operation of the border between the Republic and Northern Ireland hinges on what the exact final relationship.

But we already know that under the terms of Theresa May's Lancaster House speech, we are heading for a hard border between the two nations, as we are leaving the customs union and seeking regulatory divergence from EU27, which means that there will have to be physical and infrastructure and customs checks, whether in the Irish sea or on the island of Ireland. That means that as far as the Irish government goes, whoever is in power, their political interests remain the same: to make certain that hard border is at sea, not on land. That means using their veto power, whether in December or in March 2019.

I don't wish to go over the ins and outs of the problem - after all, I did that last week - but it is worth noting one additional element to all this: which is that the question of the Irish border was the most predictable of all the difficulties of Brexit. We are leaving a free trade area, and the nation we share a land border with is not.

The historic sensitivities of this particular border ought to have focused minds, yes, but that Brexit would require navigating an exit in which Ireland could always wield its veto should have meant that the Brexiteers had a workable solution in their back pocket for years, even if the worst thing ever to happen on the Irish border had been some raised voices over the proper care of a few hedgerows.

The simple truth is that if Brexit comes unstuck because of the Irish border it will be because the Brexit elite simply wasn't serious.

Worked for me. I'm a stone lighter after reading that. Unfortunately I now have to go out and drink 6 pints because of reading that.
  • edited November 2017
    Dave2l said:

Weight loss isn't just related to eating less or eating better.

You need solid sleep

Reduce stress levels if you can

Lift weights, replace the fat with lean muscle.

Do lots of different work outs, don't just stick to the same sort of idea that going running will help.

You need to attack the fat with full force.

This is coming from someone that recently had a minor fat problem and got rid.

I very highly recommend cycling every day. Ride to work and back if you can.

You will see a rapid change if you do that.

Not entirely accurate, good sleep and less stress may increase your response to a healthier or lower calorie diet but in truth pure weight loss is achieved simply by eating fewer calories than you burn.

In fact a healthier diet will help the brain function under stress better and will help you sleep better with fewer reasons for digestive discomfort.

Ask any fitness or nutritional expert and they will tell you that you simply cannot maintain a weight if you are in a calorie deficit.

If you're looking to burn just the fats then a high protein diet with a calorie deficit will help slow the muscle being used for fuel and in fact doing a structured compound weights routine can help each pound of lean muscle to burn up to an extra 15 calories per day.

(p.s nice contradiction in bold there)

- honestly recommend not fearing doing the same work outs so long as you adhere to progressing using the principles of fitt - progress through changing one of the following each workout:

Frequency (Can you add a workout this week?)
    Intensisty (Can you up the level of effort?)
    Time (Can you try working for slightly longer or complete something quicker?!)
    Type (Usually run? Why not swim instead?)
  • edited November 2017

If it's just your stomach you're looking to tone then planks are by far the best body shape changer. My advice as a starting point would be:

Drink 2 litres of water a day as a minimum. Keeping hydrated gives you more energy and makes you feel fuller.

Have a look on YouTube for good work out routines around core strength and conditioning and tailor it to your own fitness levels / goals.

If you're looking to lose weight without changing your diet and hate exercise a good 'cheat' is to put some good music on your phone and get on a treadmill and walk quickly for 30 minutes. Put at a 5% incline at 7 km/h. Depending on your weight you can burn as many as 500 calories in that time and the incline helps tone your legs and stomach.

You cannot target fat loss.

The toning of muscles will have increased the lean muscle mass and assisted in the burning of total body fat... over time of course.

Planks are fantastic though.
  • masicat said:

Too many people stick to cardio. If your serious about losing weight, and your fit enough, start off with a weights and do cardio at the end of your work out. This will burn fat quicker than just cardio.

F* the fad diets.

The rest of this post is accurate however.