Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Valley Heroes

An occasional series from the pen of David Ramzan. Also on display in the museum as part of the early years history.

Part 1: Albert 'Mosky' Mills

Comments

• Wasn't one of these created for Jimmy Seed?

I seem to remember doing a project at Secondary School during English where I had to pick a subject of my choosing (decided on Charlton Athletic) and do a presentation on the topic, I seem to remember including Jimmy Seed based on this type of cartoon

I seem to remember doing a project at Secondary School during English where I had to pick a subject of my choosing (decided on Charlton Athletic) and do a presentation on the topic, I seem to remember including Jimmy Seed based on this type of cartoon

Dave did a whole series of them over a season in the programme.

We've used a few in the museum to tell the story of the club a bit more visually and this is the first.

Dave did a whole series of them over a season in the programme.
    Cheers, this must be where I got the cartoon from... Would have been around the 98/99 or 99/00 season if my memory is right
  • how come Hewie hasn't got a nickname like 'Mosky' has?

"long John"
  • I went to his funeral in Boston a year or two back.

Don't think he ever had a nickname, but if he did, it should have been something to do with his ability to clear the ball over the old West Stand.

Don't think he ever had a nickname, but if he did, it should have been something to do with his ability to clear the ball over the old West Stand.

Long John Hewie
  • Sponsored links:

• These are excellent
  • edited November 2017
  • These are great.
  • Thoroughly enjoying these!
  • Superb
  • Sponsored links:

• Here's a couple more.

If Dave Ramzan agreed, would there be interest in a book of these cartoons

Huge thanks to @Carl Leaburn who scanned all the images for the museum
  • These are simply superb.
  • edited November 2017
    Had forgotten he (King Arthur) made 156 consecutive games for us. Some of our more recent players can't manage 156 consecutive minutes. Players were tougher then.
  • The Jimmy Seed one gives a very decent potted history of his life and times. It even features the bust which I've loaned to the club.
  • Two goal scoring Addicks from the past and from the pen of David Ramzan What price Ralph Allen now?

The Charlton Athletic Museum is open on 1 December, 11pm to 2.30pm and we then celebrate 25 years back at the Valley on 5 December from 5.00 pm to 9.00 pm

Free Admission for bothimage

• I started going at the start of the 74-75 season and remember King Arthur but could never work out why we sold him when we did.
  • I don't care if you do not believe me, but yes, I was there in 1957 with my dad at the open end (now where the Jimmy Seed stand is, for those not around then)
  • I started going at the start of the 74-75 season and remember King Arthur but could never work out why we sold him when we did.

Andy Nelson told him he wasn't needed anymore and best if he moved on.
    He was gutted. He said he didn't want to leave.

Sat next to Arthur on the plane coming back from the Tunisia tournament, 1975.
    He told me some great stories, with great humour.

• As the anniversary kit is being launched today here are the skipper and the goal scorer from the day.

Celebrate 25 years back at the Valley in the museum on 5 December from 5.00 to 9.00 pm