Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Incident At Oxford Circus

Stay safe if you are in that area.

Comments

• edited November 2017
    People told to get off the street and stay in a building 'til the all clear is given. Not clear what the incident is but police called to alert that shots were fire in the station.
  • Check Steve Parish's Twitter
  • Selfridges may be affected.
  • Selfridges being evacuated.
  • edited November 2017
    My wife is on a course near there and they are being told to stay put.
    Edit. Can now leave, but it's bedlam up there apparently.
  • edited November 2017

(for those who can't see Twitter, Oxford Circus and Bond Street tubes now re-opened apparently)
  • Guy in front of me on the train claiming he was there and heard shots. Said 'terrorist attack on oxford circusstation' 'most likely it was semi-automatic weapons' and 'a bunch of gunmen decided to take Oxford circus station'.

He also claims to have been the one who alerted security at all the surrounding buildings and told then all to go onto lock down.

Something doesn't quite add up as he didn't get inside a building and continued with his journey. He was at Victoria a matter of minutes later though he was out of breath. Not sure what to believe. He does strike me as a bit of a bullshitter so I reckon there is at least an element of exaggeration.
  • Sponsored links:

• Guy in front of me on the train claiming he was there and heard shots. Said 'terrorist attack on oxford circusstation' 'most likely it was semi-automatic weapons' and 'a bunch of gunmen decided to take Oxford circus station'.

He also claims to have been the one who alerted security at all the surrounding buildings and told then all to go onto lock down.

Something doesn't quite add up as he didn't get inside a building and continued with his journey. He was at Victoria a matter of minutes later though he was out of breath. Not sure what to believe. He does strike me as a bit of a bullshitter so I reckon there is at least an element of exaggeration.

Exaggeration? That's understatement.
    I'd call him lying bastard.
  • edited November 2017
    PopIcon said:

Guy in front of me on the train claiming he was there and heard shots. Said 'terrorist attack on oxford circusstation' 'most likely it was semi-automatic weapons' and 'a bunch of gunmen decided to take Oxford circus station'.

So would I but I hadn't read any of the above or anytging else on the matter before I posted that. Didn't want to believe he'd make it up with no substance at all.

Certainly seems like bullshit to me. He is now blaming it entirely on the fact that a newspaper apparently ran a headline saying Christmas shoppers at Oxford street could be a target...
  • PopIcon said:

Guy in front of me on the train claiming he was there and heard shots. Said 'terrorist attack on oxford circusstation' 'most likely it was semi-automatic weapons' and 'a bunch of gunmen decided to take Oxford circus station'.

Just loves a bit of attention.
  • Good news is that the police have now "stood down" and told people to return to normality.
  • Looking like it’s something like a loud noise or that then caused a bit of panic. Can see these sort of incidents happening a lot more often.
  • Sounds like a 'bit' of a punch up.
  • Many people heard the "gunshot" noises though. I was in Gap (near Bond Street), the security guard held us in, then wasn't sure what to do so some of us left the shop, where I found loads of people running away from Oxford Street so joined them
  • Sponsored links:

Tell him that the police are after him for causing a mass panic over nothing & for circulating rumours.
  • Couple of things this does show though

1. We might not be living in 'a world of fear' but people are now extremely reactive to what they perceive to be a terror scenario and fear can spread in public very quickly

2. Sometimes Twitter and social media are great. Sometimes for things like this they are just nonsense tools that primarily spread lies and false rumour and do more hindrance than help

Number 2 happens every time, even with a serious incident. Constantly there are reports of a second shooter/terrorist on the loose that never comes to be the truth.
  • RedPanda said:

The Mail tweeted that a lorry ploughed down pedestrians then deleted it. ****s.

Seriously?!? Their ****ishness knows no bounds.

• Couple of things this does show though

1. We might not be living in 'a world of fear' but people are now extremely reactive to what they perceive to be a terror scenario and fear can spread in public very quickly

2. Sometimes Twitter and social media are great. Sometimes for things like this they are just nonsense tools that primarily spread lies and false rumour and do more hindrance than help

In this case the panic wasn't because social media though. People heard something they thought was gunshots, and naturally panicked and fled, which created a chain reaction of more people fleeing etc
  • RedPanda said:

The Mail tweeted that a lorry ploughed down pedestrians then deleted it. ****s.

Seriously?!? Their ****ishness knows no bounds.

tbf they probably have a few "headline straps" waiting to go & either pressed the wrong one or went too soon. They have pre-readied obituaries in case the Queen or some other VIP dies & have been known to issue them erroneously as well.