Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who has been to an Ashes game?

Following up from @thai malaysia addick brilliant Day 1 write up from the Gabba...(well worth a read by clicking HERE)

Who's been? Home or Down Under?

Tell us when and share some memories

Comments

• Following up from @thai malaysia addick brilliant Day 1 write up from the Gabba...

Who's been? Home or Down Under?

Tell us when and share some memories

Me a few times. And at least one of them was on a cricket tour with Riviera who will have a far better recollection of what year it was. All I remember is that the Aussies got about 300 plus for the lost of about two wickets!
  • Only one back in 1968 at Lords . Play ended early due to a hail storm .
  • I was at the final day of the last ashes series at the oval. Great day, although I can't remember too much about it from lunch onwards to be honest!
  • edited November 2017
    Been to a few Ashes test matches at Lords most enjoyable was 2009 a last day victory ( just googled it ) apparently our first Ashes win at Lords for 75 years , didn’t realise our record was that shit there .
    Tbh I remember the first few hours of each day but after lunch time it becomes very hazy.

Edit : last day at the Oval when we won the Ashes in 2005 was the best day by far , went drinking round London Bridge afterwards celebrating and saw it kick off with drunk millwall fans and some randoms , shock horror
  • Went to the boxing day test in Melbourne the last time we were over there. The MCG is an incredible ground, especially when it is full to capacity. England provided us with 1 quality day of cricket in the field and 3 days of utter dross.

I thought I'd get bored sitting there for 4 days (never watched a test live before) and came prepared for that but I was enthralled throughout. It was so reasonably priced, especially compared to seeing a game here (you can afford to do that when the ground holds over 100,000 people!).

If you ever get a chance to get over there for the ashes I'd 100% recommend it. The whole country seemed to stop for it
    Shame we were so cack but loved every minute.
  • Yep, final day The Oval 2005 when KP hit that 158.

I had never been to a game before and my mums mate couldn’t go so I tagged along. Great memories and loved cricket ever since.
  • edited November 2017
    We've been to one day at every Oval & Lords Tests against The Aussies over the last 20+ years and have also seen them at Edgbaston.
  • A few times in the UK, to various grounds where I could get tickets. Lord's, Oval, Cardiff, Old Trafford and Edgbaston, keep meaning to go to Australia, one of these days...

No massive memories, but saw England clinch the 2013 series at OT after rain ended play on the 5th day with England struggling! Saw Ian Bell make a century at Lord's, with rugby legend Adam Jones sitting a few seats away
  • Been to 4 at the Oval and 1 at Lords. Best is paying a tenner for day 5 in 2005.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've been to five or six over the years, the one I remember best was my first one at The Oval in 1977. We went on the Monday and most of the first few days had been destroyed by the weather, the Aussies were still in their first innings. There were a good number of legends on show, Knotty, Underwood, Willis, Sir Geoffrey to name a few- I think Botham was injured, he started that year as well.

At lunchtime everybody descended on the outfield with their picnics and er, beverages, when the bell went everyone cleared off not leaving so much as a crumb on the turf. We were at Lords a couple of years back and my mate took literally two steps over the boundary to avoid disturbing someone going through his bag; next thing some jobsworth descended threatening him with allsorts for his heinous crime. Pathetic.

Anyway, after the game finished, we had a knockabout game in front of the pavillion with a tennis ball and an old bat we found, as did plenty of others. We got told to go home after about an hour by a bloke with a big dog. All this for a fiver I think, just turned up on the day and went in.
  • lots - all at home, Lords,Oval,Headingley,Edgbaston (by far the best for atmosphere - its like a football crowd),Trent Bridge and Old Trafford.
  • My first Ashes test was the Oval 1977, the one and only test for an Aussie swing bowler Mick Malone. The reason I remember him so well was that he bowled 43 overs on the first days play, quite something for any bowler but for a medium quick bloody amazing, the man just did not stop. England scored 181-9 on the first day, old school test cricket and I was seriously hooked. I’d been watching cricket since I was about 7, my best mates Dad was a Notts fanatic, but this is the first test I remember really well. Was lucky enough to go to a few Ashes tests up until the mid 90s when I moved to SA. Two of my favorite cricketers to watch were poles apart in style David Gower and Alan Border. Gower is still up there as one of my all time favorite cricketers to watch, on his day absolutely brilliant, at other times totally infuriating.
    Damn I wish I was in Aus for this series
  • 2009 at Lord's on the fifth day when Flintoff skittled them and took a knee in celebration - it was amazing!

Also, 2013 at Trent Bridge, day 2. We bowled well but then Ashton Agar scored 98 - was a great day.
  • Since 2005 I’ve been to at least 1 day at Oval and at least 1 day at Lord’s for home Ashes and was lucky and privileged to go every day to the Melbourne and Sydney tests in 2010/11 for my honeymoon. Would recommend it to anyone if you get the chance.
  • First went on the Saturday at Lords 1953. Lindwall, Miller and the 2 youngsters Benaud and Davidson spring to mind.
    It was the test where Willie Watson and Barnacle Bailey saved us on the last day.
    Unusual series where the first four tests were drawn, partly due to a wet summer, and it was decided to play a 6 day test at the Oval and we famously won in 4 days.
  • Been to a number if test matches but never an ashes test. Seen England Aus in a one dayer but that doesn't count.

The dream is a full tour down under. And to watch England play in every test playing nation.
  • To clarify the last test was extended from 5 days to 6
  • Sponsored links:

• Been to a number if test matches but never an ashes test. Seen England Aus in a one dayer but that doesn't count.

The dream is a full tour down under. And to watch England play in every test playing nation.

this this this this this
  • Sooner catch me foreskin in me fly again.......
  • Boxing Day test is top of my sports bucket list. Very jealous of anyone who has done it.

I've got tickets for India next year which puts me on a priority list for the next Ashes. Fingers crossed.
  • edited November 2017
    I've never seen an Ashes match. The nearest I've got to it was watching Essex v Australia at Chelmsford once. I can only remember two things about it. 1. There was one of the Waugh brothers playing for each side. 2. I got so pissed I can't remember what happened except that one of the Waugh brothers played for each side.
  • Stig said:

I've never seen an Ashes match. The nearest I've got to it was watching Essex v Australia at Chelmsford once. I can only remember two things about it. 1. There was one of the Waugh brothers playing for each side. 2. I go so pissed I can't remember what happened except that one of the Waugh brothers played for each side.

Actually only one of them was playing, but you were seeing double :smile:
  • First one was 1972 at Lords - Bob Massie's test match.

Been to at least one day in most Ashes series since then, at either Lords or the Oval. In the 80's the Surrey membership allowed entry to all days of the test match, so I was lucky enough to go to all 4 or 5 days for some tests. Remember seeing every ball bowled in the 1985 test, Gowers ashes win. Then in the 90's Surrey started allocating individual seats and introduced an international membership above the County membership, and it became more difficult to get tickets for the days you wanted.

One of my best memories was the David Steele test at Lords in 75, when England were 48-4 against Lille and Thomson, and he steadied the ship with Knott and Greig. Sitting side-on and trying to see the ball when Thomson was bowling was impossible, ihe was that quick. To think you could pay on the day in the 70's and the ground wasn't always full.
  • 1989 - Oval. I spent 2 days at the Oval with my Mum & Aunt whilst my Dad & Uncle was at St Thomas’ Hospital with my Grandad who was having an emergency bypass op.

1997 - All days at Edgbaston with 3 friends from Uni, staying at one of their parents houses. Nasser scored 207 and Thorpe scored a ton too after we bowled them out cheaply. Cant remember it was 4 or 5 days.

2005 - Lords for a day. Edgbaston, 2 days. Or Fredgbaston as it is affectionately known.

2009 - Lords for a day, Oval for a day.

Bucket list is the Boxing Day test in Oz. Wife is keen to go back to Oz but not the cricket so will need persuading!
  • I was a member of Surrey for many years, even continuing my membership for a few years after moving to Thailand, returning to watch a couple of Test Matches.

I also remember the days you could just turn up at the Oval and pay, even for an Ashes test. I did this in 1975, the day after returning from holiday in Italy, hoping to see John Edrich make his 8th ton against the Aussies. Unfortunately he fell four short, though it was good to see his Surrey teammate, Graham Roope, score 77.

Saw at least a day of every Ashes Test at The Oval from 1972 until 2005, plus a few days at Lords and one at Headingley.

In 2002/3, Surrey had a reciprocal arrangement with the SCG, meaning tickets were available to Surrey members. I entered the ballot on behalf of some friends but when I "won" three tickets, I decided to go myself. I'd just moved to Bangkok so it was a much shorter flight. It was a surprise when I turned up at the gate to collect the tickets that they were free! England lost the series but won that final Test and as the tickets were for the Members' Pavilion, the few England fans, many from Surrey, were congregating around the dressing room, sharing a drink with the players and grabbing memorabilia that the players were graciously throwing into the throng. I got nothing but a good friend of mine walked out with Mark Butcher's shirt!

I'll be in Adelaide the week after next during the second Test, but I'm only going on the third day. I left it late to get tickets for the first two days but a day at the beach and a tour of the wine region will provide adequate consolation, I'm sure. Flying back on Day 4. I can't stay away too long as it's our high season here in Phuket.
  • Phil Tufnell