Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Marine Fish Aquarium

How expensive is that hobby?
My Missus has always been interested in this and I must admit they do look nice, she always stood by any decisions I've made and when she said wanted a better set up than one she had which consisted of 2nd hand bits. I just said to her get what she wanted as long as we can put in the same alcove in the lounge, she told me she managed to save a £100 on the price of the tank it was only FIFTEEN HUNDRED FECKIN POUNDS for a 3' foot fish tank. Anyone else partake in that particular pastime? Heres the tank, its not gold!! image

Comments

• Well worth the money
  • edited May 2017
    '... just said to her get what she wanted as long as we can put in the same alcove in the lounge'. In fairness, It looks like you gave her a blank cheque
  • Looks nice. But I tend to lose interest if my fish isn't battered and served with chips. £1500 seems a lot but I guess you now have to add the actual cost of the fish and other required kit. Ouch.

Just keep the dogs in it..... :smile:
  • Some might call me biased but I reckon you should spend as much money on fiiish as possible.
  • Used to run an aquatic shop and loved it but sadly the margins are so tight there was no money in it.

You get what you pay for with the Red Sea brand. The Red Sea Max 250 is a great set up and you won't go too far wrong with it. I'd recommend getting a nano powerhead / wave maker for extra flow as the return pump won't do the job by itself (assuming you're keeping Coral, it's fine for Fish Only).

That said, I find the Aqua One range of tanks better pound for pound value but the quality of finish is of a lower standard. My local aquatics store is selling a 3ft, 300 litre Aqua One reef set-up with all the return pumps, lighting and protein skimmer for just under £1k.

It's a great hobby and I love the fact it's changed to be more conservation driven (in the U.K.) over the past few years.

• I have a freshwater tank which is expensive and tedious enough. I know people with marine tanks and they have taken over their lives.

The fish look amazing but seriously it's several more hours a week than owning a dog and if you end up with a relationship with a fish the same as you get with a dog either wow or eurghh..:
  • I don't really know anything about it but a mate of mine works at this place. might be worth looking at:

http://www.tropicalmarinecentre.co.uk/en/index.aspx
  • I don't really know anything about it but a mate of mine works at this place. might be worth looking at:

http://www.tropicalmarinecentre.co.uk/en/index.aspx

TMC were my wholesaler. An utterly amazing place in Chorley Wood with secret rooms set up for breeding and conservation. They didn't sell directly to the public when I used them, but if that's changed you should 100% go.
  • Marine take a lot of looking after mate. Have only kept tropical and cold water myself but know people who keep marine and they are very sensitive to changes in water temperature and the level of salt. Someone lost all his when he was on holiday and suffered a power cut.
  • As someone who knows because my father in law used to be the largest importer of Marine fish in the uk. Keep it simple.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've got a fairly decent planted tropical set up and thought it was quite expensive when starting out, looked in to Marine set ups and couldn't believe how expensive it is.

My tank maintenance is nearly 2 hours on a Sunday morning and that's enough for me, Marine tanks take a lot more to look after, plus if water chemistry goes up the creek then the whole lot - very expensive fish and corals are lost very quickly compared to tropical fish.
  • I used to keep Malawi cichlids similar to...

Some stunning varieties but equally tough little buggers that don't need anywhere near the maintenance of a marine set up. Looked at moving on to a marine set up but concluded the outlay and work required would be too much for me. Maybe look again if I ever get to retirement.
  • I'd like an aquarium one day but not sure if I want to put the time in. Don't enjoy still having to clean out my mum's small tank with one ancient goldfish that just won't bloody die.
  • Talal said:

I'd like an aquarium one day but not sure if I want to put the time in. Don't enjoy still having to clean out my mum's small tank with one ancient goldfish that just won't bloody die.

That's the real reason I've kept the tropicals for so long. on a couple of occasions we've been down to a few survivors and said that when they go, so does the tank. Then we can't stand looking at an empty void and fill it up again. Doh!
  • I have absolutely nothing at all to add to this conversation, except to say, what a fantastic place Charlton Life is!
  • It's my good lady's hobby, as said it's too time consuming for me to think of. The one shown is the red sea max 260 e series which replaced the 250 apparently this has wavemakers installed @SurvivaloftheFittest as I said they look fantastic when looked after well.
    Saga Lout said:

What luck that this thread should appear. Wife announced she wants a fish tank when we move into our new house. Now I know it's not going to be a fucking Marine Aquarium. :-)

Just got the bill for some salt water and some sand £91 and thats if we make 50% of the water ourselves.
    Tank £1500 including £100 discount !!!
    £91 sand and feckin water
    I can't wait until she buys the fish :(
  • T.C.E said:

It's my good lady's hobby, as said it's too time consuming for me to think of. The one shown is the red sea max 260 e series which replaced the 250 apparently this has wavemakers installed @SurvivaloftheFittest as I said they look fantastic when looked after well.

Saga Lout said:

What luck that this thread should appear. Wife announced she wants a fish tank when we move into our new house. Now I know it's not going to be a fucking Marine Aquarium. :-)

Just got the bill for some salt water and some sand £91 and thats if we make 50% of the water ourselves.
    Tank £1500 including £100 discount !!!
    £91 sand and feckin water
    I can't wait until she buys the fish :(
    You wait till she decides she wants live rock (around £5 per kilo) and some fancy Corals (anything from £30 to £250 each) You'll need an awful lot of the above to fill a 260 litre tank!!!

I'm sure you'll be happy with the staring price of around £25 each for the fish as well!!!!

Stick to tropical - so much easier and cheaper.
  • I would agree with my girlfriend, any indoor fish are more trouble than they are worth. I would add that this is multiplied or indeed powered up at least 3 or 4 times for small marine tanks (<150 litres)

If you aim for a tank smaller than that to run marine, I would think again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Always get the biggest tank you can
  • Marine tanks are a lifetime of tinkering and solving one problem after another, so much can go wrong and often does.
    I have come across very few people who stick it out for long and the death rate of your fish can become alarming and expensive as well as somewhat soul destroying.
    Go freshwater......and even they are quite a mission to upkeep. Tanks do not just sit there and look pretty.....there's a lot involved on an almost daily basis.
  • Recommended place in Sidcup - http://abacus-aquatics.co.uk/home/3542000 and its run by a Blackpool fan !!!! (not me BTW)
  • Recommended place in Sidcup - http://abacus-aquatics.co.uk/home/3542000 and its run by a Blackpool fan !!!! (not me BTW)

Have used this place a couple of times, they're very good.
  • T.C.E said:

How expensive is that hobby?
    My Missus has always been interested in this and I must admit they do look nice, she always stood by any decisions I've made and when she said wanted a better set up than one she had which consisted of 2nd hand bits. I just said to her get what she wanted as long as we can put in the same alcove in the lounge, she told me she managed to save a £100 on the price of the tank it was only FIFTEEN HUNDRED FECKIN POUNDS for a 3' foot fish tank. Anyone else partake in that particular pastime? Heres the tank, its not gold!! image

I like crab sticks
  • edited November 2017
    Well we've killed nothing yet, either fish or corals. Anyone use a auto top up system, looking for recommendations. ;)image
  • Looking good Ray, I used an auto top up system on my Koi pond but probably totally different to a marine tank so I will leave it to the experts to answer
  • Don’t tell me that you have a nemo but not a Dory
  • I'm no expert but I think you may have your tank upside down.

No.....he lives in Sydney.