Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tony Pulis sacked

Not my favorite manager but generally like Big Sam effective. A bit of careful what you wish for?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42041923

Comments

• As I said on the Managerial sackings thread Im surprised at how trigger happy the owners are in the Premier League this season.

Didnt Pulis get them a top half finish last season so surprised he's not been given a chance to turn it around, dont think he had much to spend in the summer either
  • Will he be the next Wales manager?
  • clive said:

Will he be the next Wales manager?

@clive I saw a recent interview where he was singing Coleman’s praises and felt he should continue in the role, but now who knows.
  • Not a surprise. Playing terrible football and losing isn't a good combination.

The owner's business model depends on being in the PL, he wants to build new towns with WBA football schools incorporated, and being a PL club is key to that
  • clive said:

Will he be the next Wales manager?

They could do a lot lot worse

He’d be better than the dancing fool
  • Bet Chris Coleman is kicking himself though... Reckon he'd have been in with a shot of the West Brom job

For Chris it must be like buying something with a 5% discount (with no return policy) only to walk into the next shop and find the exact same item for 50% cheaper!!

Swansea is also likely to come up soon...

Instead he's taken a job where at best, he can keep Sunderland in the Championship
  • Sponsored links:

• The financial implications of relegation from the Premier League - even with parachute payments and such - is MASSIVE. The scramble to avoid the bottom three is getting ever more desperate and so chairmen are very concerned with short-term solutions.

The gap is widening, too, between Championship and the Prem, and indeed between League One and the Championship. Look at Wolves! Look at how much they spent on Ruben Neves!

There are a few really worrying things about this in general - foremost is that I genuinely fear Charlton (even under a competent regime) might never get to the top flight again. Also, the footballing economy is a HUGE bust waiting to happen.
  • Apparently the two names the Welsh FA were interested in after Coleman left were Pulis or Giggs, so I could defiantly see Pulis taking over there.

Re Chris Coleman it does seem like he jumped at the first offer, rather than wait a few weeks and been in the frame for a number of Premier League jobs.
  • Apparently the two names the Welsh FA were interested in after Coleman left were Pulis or Giggs, so I could defiantly see Pulis taking over there.

Re Chris Coleman it does seem like he jumped at the first offer, rather than wait a few weeks and been in the frame for a number of Premier League jobs.

So could I. Pullis is very good at setting teams up without a forward.
  • Greenie said:

PaddyP17 said:

The financial implications of relegation from the Premier League - even with parachute payments and such - is MASSIVE. The scramble to avoid the bottom three is getting ever more desperate and so chairmen are very concerned with short-term solutions.

The gap is widening, too, between Championship and the Prem, and indeed between League One and the Championship. Look at Wolves! Look at how much they spent on Ruben Neves!

There are a few really worrying things about this in general - foremost is that I genuinely fear Charlton (even under a competent regime) might never get to the top flight again. Also, the footballing economy is a HUGE bust waiting to happen.

This, a lot.
    Agreed, but I think it will be managed by smaller clubs (in Premier League terms) being relegated and going into meltdown and falling down the leagues. Portsmouth were the first club to go as far as the 4th division but there have been plenty that have made it as far down as the 3rd division.

I was watching Watford and West Ham yesterday and there were a lot of foreign sounding players (names) that, I assume, are all earning more than £40k a week (£2m a year) that are probably nowhere near worth that. It just seems to be that if you sign for a Premier League club, from abroad, that hasn't just been promoted, you expect that kind of money. If West Ham go down they will have a wage bill that can't be financed (even with the parachute money) and players that they won't be able to give away, literally.

However, as much as a disaster as it will be for West Ham (and as pleased an I shall be) they will just be replaced with a club that has a much lower wage bill who will be so excited at getting to 'The Promised Land' and as far as the big boys are concerned it'll just give them someone else to beat twice a season. Even if clubs disappear that won't bother those at the top as we would just promote one more from the conference.

You just need to look at the celebrations at Brighton and at Wembley (when Huddersfield won the playoffs) to see that the Premier League will just keep chugging on and clubs the size of ours will go up, have our moment in the sun then come down in a financial quagmire.

I haven't seen the figures but I'm guessing that the average debt across the two top divisions is rising, which is to be expected as income is rising, but I suspect that the average debt as a function of the overall turnover is much, much, higher in the Championship than anywhere else. After relegation, once the Premier League money stops the clubs can't service their debt but the only way to fix that is to spend even more and hope to get promoted again. All the while the clubs trying to avoid relegation are spending next season's money to just stay up - meaning that if they go down, and three have to, they face disaster.

Truth is that the leagues will be ok, the clubs in them, maybe not, but all the while there is a smaller club that is willing to take the step up, there will always be someone to fill the place if someone drops out.

Sadly, promotion to the Premier League almost inevitably leads to financial ruin. The question is when not it!
  • There is a guy who works in an adjacent office who is a season ticket holder at the hawthorns, says he wasn't going again till he was gone. Will catch up with him this afternoon.
  • edited November 2017
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2017
    Greenie said:

PaddyP17 said:

The financial implications of relegation from the Premier League - even with parachute payments and such - is MASSIVE. The scramble to avoid the bottom three is getting ever more desperate and so chairmen are very concerned with short-term solutions.

This, a lot.
    I used to think this but I'm now not so sure there will be a correction. We've been waiting for one of the smaller club's that's overspent in the Premier League to go belly up for probably 15-20 years now. Yes, a couple have been in trouble financially like Pompey, Palace, Leeds, etc. but there always seems someone prepared to take over and pump even more money in. I can't remember the last pro-club to actually go out of business and fold, Rushden & Diamonds(?), and I just can't see one of the bigger boys going under at all.

It's a crazy industry no doubt but I can only see the gap between the haves and have nots getting wider.
  • Big Sam incoming?
  • ...oh and pretty sure Pulis will get the Wales job with Giggs assisting. Or the other way around...
  • ...oh and pretty sure Pulis will get the Wales job with Giggs assisting. Or the other way around...

Knowing Pulis as I do he is not the type who is likely to be happy to 'assist'.
  • His big mistake was to appoint Gary Megson as assistant. His record is poor .

Dear god are people still hiring him???

Dear god are people still hiring him???
    He's taking over "until further notice "
  • edited November 2017
  • edited November 2017
    Ha ha ha. Absolute lazy comment just now from Craig Bellamy on MNF re the Pulls sacking 'West Brom fans need to be careful what they've wished for I've seen teams like Charlton Athletic over the last 15 years slip out of the the premier league because they got bored'.........Planker!

I don't do twitter can someone straighten him out please.
  • Owners sell their best players and then blame the manager when form drops.