Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Congratulations Australia

Roughly 62% of Australians vote yes to legalisation of same sex marriage on an 80% turn out.

Comments

• cabbles said:

I genuinely thought this was going to be a belated thread about them beating Syria to qualify for the World Cup next year

Australia haven't qualified for the World Cup yet. They still need to beat Honduras.
  • Strewth Sheila!
  • I read this as Ben Stokes being ruled out of The Ashes and as a result England surrendering The Ashes to Australia already!
  • Roughly 62% of Australians vote yes to legalisation of same sex marriage on an 80% turn out.

62% of 80% is .......49.2%

so, less than half of those eligible to vote & less than what the Leave campaign got.

I hope they don't proceed with making it law, Ken Clarke won't be happy.
  • Short lived euphoria as marriage is usually followed by desexing
  • Pretty shocking that it’s only 62%, how thick do you have to be to disagree with it?
  • how thick do you have to be to disagree with it?

Do you need an immediate answer ? Bunnings not open yet...
  • edited November 2017
    GayDay mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Roughly 62% of Australians vote yes to legalisation of same sex marriage on an 80% turn out.

so, less than half of those eligible to vote & less than what the Leave campaign got.

No, more then leave got obviously
    So the vote was closer than the Leave/Remain one, it was/is only advisory and not legally binding?

Looks like @stonemuse and @Dippenhall have got their work cut out again in trying to get the 'we don't agree with the implementation of advisory referenda in to law' brigade on side in agreeing with this vote and it's implementation.

Good luck, chaps :wink:

So the vote was closer than the Leave/Remain one, it was/is only advisory and not legally binding?

Looks like @stonemuse and @Dippenhall have got their work cut out again in trying to get the 'we don't agree with the implementation of advisory referenda in to law' brigade on side in agreeing with this vote and it's implementation.

No, because the turnout in Oz was 80% against 72% in the EU referendum.

This is brilliant. Putting a smile on my face this morning. I'm looking forward to the "pennydropping" moment.

Surely, though, those that didn't vote can be counted on the 'no' side? :wink:
  • edited November 2017
    Australians dragged kicking and screaming out of the mid-1950s. Great news. Perhaps they'll bring their fashion sense up to date next....

I am glad it wasn't just me. I was wondering if I was the stupid one for a minute there...
  • edited November 2017

Roughly 62% of Australians vote yes to legalisation of same sex marriage on an 80% turn out.

I am glad it wasn't just me. I was wondering if I was the stupid one for a minute there...
    Just as well @golfaddick doesn't work in financial advice field : - )

Surely, though, those that didn't vote can be counted on the 'no' side? :wink:
    They can't be counted in the yes side either
  • Sponsored links:

• Im not celebrating common sense, now to work on the racism issues.
  • shine166 said:

Im not celebrating common sense, now to work on the racism issues.

Being called a Pom isn't that big a deal. Get over it.
  • shine166 said:

Im not sure thats the extent of the racism lol. Anyway, whats the logic in POM ? I know it means 'prisoner of mother England' But if 99% of australians grandads wernt a thief or some other kind of criminal... they would have been born here.
  • shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Im not sure thats the extent of the racism lol. Anyway, whats the logic in POM ? I know it means 'prisoner of mother England' But if 99% of australians grandads wernt a thief or some other kind of criminal... they would have been born here.
    "Prisoner of His/Her Majesty"

sorry, my bad.
    @Greenie @Fiiish over to you
  • shine166 said:

shine166 said:

"Prisoner of His/Her Majesty"

same difference.. whether the old or newer interpretation... still makes no sense!
  • shine166 said:

shine166 said:

My advice would be to take a leaf out of the Australian's large font picture book and not overthink it :-)
  • edited November 2017

Fuck those that can't be arsed to vote.

All referendums should (& do) only count the votes actually placed - These are the people who have made the effort to make a decision.

If you don't vote - you don't get a say.
  • shine166 said:

shine166 said:

My advice would be to take a leaf out of the Australian's large font picture book and not overthink it :-)
    Haha good shout
  • shine166 said:

I think they're probably racist enough, without working on it mate @shine166