Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England news for Germany and Brazil games

Comments

• So team for Russia will be.

4-4-2
    Hart,
    Walker, Smalling, Cahill, Rose
    Walcott, Ali, Dier, Sterling
    Rooney Sturridge

How can Kane take the corners if he isnt playing though?
    We can just bring him on with 3 mins left in the 2nd round 2-1 defeat to Saudi Arabia.....just in case we get a corner or a free kick 40 yards out.
  • Surely Cahill plays?
  • Surely Cahill plays?

Instead of who? I’d say he is 5th choice now.
  • Surely Cahill plays?

Surely back three of Cahill, Stones and Gomez with Walker and Rose as wing backs
  • edited November 2017

What will the team be?

Pickford
    Walker
    Stones
    Jones
    Gomez
    Rose
    Dier
    Alli
    Sterling
    Rashford
    Kane

Still got Foden and Sancho to come through from U17s, chasing down Lewis Cook and Dominic Solanke etc. from the U20s; We do seem to be entering an even better Generation of England players yet with even more depth... i.e. We had Ashley Cole etc. yet no one beyond the first eleven really.

Then you've even the Football League kids who'll have slipped through the early net; i.e. the Ezri Konsa's of the world
  • What will the team be?

Pickford
    Walker
    Stones
    Jones
    Gomez
    Rose
    Dier
    Alli
    Sterling
    Rashford
    Kane

Hart will be in goal and think Lallana (if fit) instead of Sterling
  • edited November 2017

Surely Cahill plays?

Surely back three of Cahill, Stones and Gomez with Walker and Rose as wing backs
    I think Jones would get in ahead of Cahill.

The good thing, and it’s the first time in a long time, is that we have got decent options.
  • Surely Cahill plays?

Past it and don't think he was ever that great in the first place - benefitted from playing alongside Terry for club and country and but looked he was running in quicksand in Rome a couple of weeks back
  • Gomez was great but Dier was exactly that.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd rather have Cahill than Jones ffs
  • Actually a little bit excited about England for the first time in a while.

We have options, depth And finally what looked like a bit of passion/fight.

I like it.
  • We do lack a lot going forward, it was all so frantic. Looking forward to see Lallana back
  • We had 34 per cent possession.....at home.
  • Midfield needs addressing. Really hoping Wilshere and Lallana are back playing soon.
  • And 45 per cent possession against Germany.......at home.
  • edited November 2017
    Disappointed with Vardy tonight and Rashford only livened up a bit second half. Not much service though and Dier got caught several times wanting too much time on the ball.

I'd have taken a draw at the start and good defensive performance with the much maligned Joe Hart doing his bit. Good experience for a very young side.
  • And 45 per cent possession against Germany.......at home.

We need to keep the ball better, of that there is no doubt. But in the knockout stages against better opposition, we will definitely look to play counter attacking football.
  • I'd rather have Cahill than Jones ffs

Jones has been outstanding for Man U this season
  • Sponsored links:

• I've probably been a bit more down on Shelvey than most, but watching that midfield tonight he has to be given a go with the form he's in. Crying out for at least one midfielder with some quality on the ball.
  • Can you imagine shelvey letting a playe pick the ball off his foot and not chase it down, not once but twice... Dier’s head should be hanging in shame.
  • That Brazil side has so much depth.

Ederson, Alex Sandro, Douglas Costa, David Luiz, Thiago Silva, Fernandinho, Willian, Firmino, Danilo, all not starting yesterday.

Still not the best in the world though. Spain is just ridiculous.

It's great that we didn't concede over the past two matches but these teams had a lot of chances and once in Russia they'll be taking more of them.

We need to up our game in midfield and attack but the defence also needs to do more in terms of playing football rather than just defending. They need to start stepping out and adding a man in midfield at times.
  • Joe Gomez 3/1 with SkyBet to be in the squad for Russia
  • edited November 2017

Joe Gomez 3/1 with SkyBet to be in the squad for Russia

I'd be shocked if he isnt really - He'll surely be a part of the team to face Holland / Italy and will start to get to the point where it'll be impossible to drop him for anyone else because of the preparation he'll have done - If he appears against Holland / Italy yet gets left out in favour of Smalling etc. I'd despair as I'd then think Southgate as no different to the others before him!!
  • edited November 2017

Joe Gomez 3/1 with SkyBet to be in the squad for Russia

I'd be shocked if he isnt really - He'll surely be a part of the team to face Holland / Italy and will start to get to the point where it'll be impossible to drop him for anyone else because of the preparation he'll have done
    He has played really well, but I don't think he will go to the World Cup.

Bertrand/Rose- Left Backs
    Walker/Tripper Right Backs
    Centre backs- Cahill/Stones/Maguire/Jones and Keane are probably still in front of him in the pecking order.
  • Just seen that Germany U20s beat England U20s 2-1 with both Konsa and Dasilva playing the full 90mins yesterday

I'd be shocked if he isnt really - He'll surely be a part of the team to face Holland / Italy and will start to get to the point where it'll be impossible to drop him for anyone else because of the preparation he'll have done - If he appears against Holland / Italy yet gets left out in favour of Smalling etc. I'd despair as I'd then think Southgate as no different to the others before him!!
    I agree.

Maguire, Cahill, Stones, Jones, Keane, Gomez are all up for contention. He won't take all of them.

I agree.

Maguire, Cahill, Stones, Jones, Keane, Gomez are all up for contention. He won't take all of them.
    Hmmm true... Squad of 23 isnt it so will roughly be a 3-5-2 :

Three Goalkeepers
    Four Wing-Backs (two on each flank)
    Five Centre-Backs
    Eight Midfielders
    Three Strikers

Means that with the five Centre-Backs one of the players you've mentioned will have to miss out

Seeing he got barely any game time over this Weekend I'd say Michael Keane is probably the one at risk

I'd be shocked if he isnt really - He'll surely be a part of the team to face Holland / Italy and will start to get to the point where it'll be impossible to drop him for anyone else because of the preparation he'll have done
    He has played really well, but I don't think he will go to the World Cup.

Bertrand/Rose- Left Backs
    Walker/Tripper Right Backs
    Centre backs- Cahill/Stones/Maguire/Jones and Keane are probably still in front of him in the pecking order.
    He plays for one of the favoured clubs, so he must be in with a shout above Keane, Maguire and Bertrand...