Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Walking football Players sought (over 50s - friendly tournament)

edited June 2016 in General Charlton
Hi all we are trying to put together a team for a walking football 7 a side tournament being held 18th June at Kingshill representing the Charlton Athletic Community Trust (CACT) hopefully we will play in the Charlton "Peru" away kit. Players will need to be over 50.

The tournament is being organised by a fellow lifer and we would like to show our support by being involved.

If you are interested can you pm me by close of play Tuesday with your contact details.

Comments

• Looks like we have not been able get a team together. So killing this thread.
  • That's a shame, we've loads of over 50s on here I'm sure would fancy a kick around.

Any interest guys?
  • I would but have plans for that day.
    Another time perhaps.
  • Has anyone on here played this? How can you stop yourself breaking into a jog, it must be very frustrating. I'll be eligible in 2 years.
  • That's a shame, we've loads of over 50s on here I'm sure would fancy a kick around.

Any interest guys?

Do you frequent the public toilets in King William walk by any chance?
    I've seen similar written on the wall in there.
  • Busy that day but would be up for something similar if it happens again.
  • Has anyone on here played this? How can you stop yourself breaking into a jog, it must be very frustrating. I'll be eligible in 2 years.

I've been playing a couple of months at Eltham Goals through CACT. There is a level of leniency over jogging and I would describe it more as jogging football than walking. That said in tournaments it can be mixed. When we played at Craven Cottage, one ref was very strict on walking no only for the man in possession and defender but also players making runs, whereas another referee was oblivious to jogging.

WF ii snot just for 50 plus, we have a number of 40 plus's ... try it and see.

Eltham Goals is currently stopped and waiting for funding.

Monday 6.30 Beckenham Goals
    Wednesday 12.30 Charlton behind the valley away end
    Thursday 11:45 St Dunstan Playing fields (Opposite catford stations)
    Friday 11;30Millwall Training areea
  • Just joined a walking football team in Herts where I live. Had first session yesterday - really enjoyed it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Kings Hill WF have players from 14 upwards. Ladies as well. One thing I never expected to hear on a football field "grandad, over here".3 generations of a family playing. Fantastic fun. League, cup and tournaments are age based though.
  • @redman @daggs @johnboy59, @Redrobo has now got three players looking for a game, if you are still interested.

Unfortunately I have now made alternative arrangements.
  • I'd love to have a go, but I'm a bit to far away now, but if your ever down this way I'm sure I could find the time, does walking football have nippy wingers? Thats the role I'd see myself playing. I have to be honest I remember seeing Dazzler get out sprinted by Nathan Prior in plimsols on a wet pitch, has he got his name down. ;)
  • It was I that organised the Kings Hill tournament so if you live this way pm me for futher info.

If you live elsewhere in Kent, try Walking Football United web site. That has details of most WF clubs in Kent, dates teams play etc.

If you live elsewhere, try starting with Walking Football Association. That is the national body for WF.

Both sites will give you a good insight to WF.

"You'll never walk alone".
  • I turn 50 next year and am thinking about doing this. Haven’t played football for about 8 months now after fracturing my foot. Unfortunately, have struggled to get back into an exercise routine and the weight has been creeping up.
  • ElfsborgAddick would be up for this
  • Danny Haynes loves it, scores for fun every week :wink:
  • I turn 50 next year and am thinking about doing this. Haven’t played football for about 8 months now after fracturing my foot. Unfortunately, have struggled to get back into an exercise routine and the weight has been creeping up.

WF is not just for the over 50's and we have several members who play because they can not play full contact anymore. The competitions are though.

We don't charge for the first game so anyone can give it a go.
    We are one of the more competitive clubs and you will find that some play a less active game. I am sure you will find one that fits.
  • CACT still run walking football sessions at Eltham Goals on Tuesdays at 10:30 am. Friendly setup and we have been getting around 24 a week recently. Split into 4 teams and play a round robin. Very mixed ability from good players to some who have played before. Some run a bit (well quite a bit) while some don't move much.
    All welcome and totally free. We have entered some tournaments but main aim is fun and health. Some good banter (if you want it!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Hi Redman, have you an over 60's team and if so, do you fancy a friendly one Monday 6.30 pm at our place?
  • clb74 said:

ElfsborgAddick would be up for this

He would be asking if they had produced a programme for the entire game.
  • edited November 2017

I turn 50 next year and am thinking about doing this. Haven’t played football for about 8 months now after fracturing my foot. Unfortunately, have struggled to get back into an exercise routine and the weight has been creeping up.

I think you better read the first word of the thread title again .....the 3rd letter is an L not an N.
  • Redrobo said:

Hi Redman, have you an over 60's team and if so, do you fancy a friendly one Monday 6.30 pm at our place?

I will have a word around. Most of our people are over 60 as it's during the day so mainly retirees. May not be quick response as I'm away next week. Hopefully we can get something fixed up but suspect we may be looking at the New Year now
  • NP. I will pm you my email address.