Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

An evening with Alan Curbishley and Chris Powell - 27 November 2017 - Prostate Cancer UK

edited November 2017 in General Charlton
(I'm editing the opening post rather than starting a new thread - AFKA)

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/an-evening-with-alan-curbishley-and-chris-powell-tickets-39609708705

Mon 27 November 2017
18:30 – 22:00 GMT

The Mudlark
Montague Close
London
SE1 9DA

Two Charlton legends will reunite to talk about their footballing journeys, and why they support Prostate Cancer UK during an exclusive Q&A evening in London on Monday, November 27.

Alan Curbishley and Chris Powell who played for, and managed the Addicks will take centre stage at the free event at the Men United Arms, AKA The Mudlark in London Bridge - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/an-evening-with-alan-curbishley-and-chris-powell-tickets-39609708705.

Curbishley took charge of Charlton for 729 games, and after leading the club back to The Valley, masterminded the Addicks’ revival with two promotions – including a never-to-be-forgotten 1998 Championship Play-Off success at Wembley - and a seven year stay in the Premier League.

He’ll be joined by Chris Powell, once managed under Curbishley at Charlton, and one of the most popular players in club history after three spells at the club. His fourth stint in SE7 was as manager, and he famously led the Addicks to the League One title in his first full season in charge.

Both Curbishley and Powell played across London for West Ham United with Curbishley managing the Hammers during one of the greatest escapes in Premier League history in 2017. Powell, who also played for Southend United, Derby County, Watford and Leicester City, was capped five times for England and has also managed Huddersfield Town.

The evening will be compered by Sky Sports’ Dickie Davis, a regular in SE7 and as well as discussing all things football, he will be quizzing Powell about his epic 2018 challenge for the charity.

Curbishley and Powell regularly wear the Prostate Cancer UK ‘Man of Men’ pin badge, with Powell, a long-time ambassador for the charity, running the Virgin Money London Marathon next year.

"I'm honoured to be an ambassador for Prostate Cancer UK, a charity very close to my heart. As a black man, hearing the one on four statistic shocks me, and it's vital we continue to raise awareness among the black community.

“Taking on the marathon will be one of my toughest challenges, but my training is going well and it’s something I’m really looking forward to. The fact I will be raising money to make a difference to men and their loved ones is all the motivation I need.

“It will also be great to catch up with Curbs and chat about our time at a terrific football club. I’m really looking forward to the night.”

Curbishley added: “Ever since I turned 50 I go and see my doctor every year; that’s something I’m really big on. But men can notoriously shy away from things like this, and that’s something they need to wise up to. If you catch these diseases early enough it can make a huge difference.

“Prostate Cancer UK’s work in football has been really impressive. Football’s a massive area and seeing so many managers wearing the charity’s pin point is a huge statement.

Doors open at the Men United Arms - The Mudlark, Montague Close, London, SE1 9DA - from 6.30pm with the event kicking off at 7pm. Buffet food will be available and to sign up for a free place visit https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/an-evening-with-alan-curbishley-and-chris-powell-tickets-39609708705.

The substantial sums raised by fundraising such as Powell’s London Marathon effort will help ‘shift the science’ and crack the three core issues of diagnosis, treatment and prevention, which have been left unsolved for too long. It will also help provide support and information to those affected by the disease.

Many people are unaware that prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men. It’s a huge issue that cannot be ignored. One man will die from prostate cancer every 45 minutes in the UK. That’s over 11,000 men a year. Based on current trends, if we ignore prostate cancer and do nothing, this number will rise to over 14,500 men a year by 2026.

To show your support and get a Prostate Cancer UK ‘Man of Men’ pin badge to wear with pride, text BADGE to 70004 to donate £5* and help stop prostate cancer being a killer. For information about the badge and the charity’s work in football visit prostatecanceruk.org/whostheman.

* Text costs £5 plus network charge. Prostate Cancer UK receives 100% of your donation. Obtain bill payers permission. Customer care 0800 082 1616. Charity No 1005541.

Comments

• Does anyone have a contact number to get tickets?
  • edited November 2017
    Problem is Henry the fella I know who would likely want to go to this isn’t too clever with computers and would prefer to purchase a ticket over the phone or similar. That web site seems to want you to register and jump through a few hoops just to obtain a ticket, which he may struggle with....he has a computer but hardly uses it.
    Dave had prostate cancer a few years back and is a Charlton nut in his 70’s.
    He lives in Ashford.......I think you may even know him.
    Just phoned him and he’s very interested.
  • Problem is Henry the fella I know who would likely want to go to this knows nothing about computers and would just need to purchase a ticket over the phone or similar. That web site seems to want you to register and jump through a few hoops just to obtain a ticket, which I’m pretty certain he wouldn’t do.....he has a computer but hardly uses it.
    Dave had prostate cancer a few years back and is a Charlton nut in his mid 70’s.
    He lives in Ashford.......I think you may even know him.

You can register and get more than one ticket
  • Unless they're coming back as a dynamic management duo...
  • registered for a couple of tickets earlier and got confirmation straight away.....and it's free!!!! :open_mouth:

Mudlark's a small venue so suggest people get in there sharpish.
  • was scheduled to help with the promo today but Henri was quick on the draw. I've edited the opening post with more info

Expect the tickets to go quickly so don't hang about it you fancy it
  • Sponsored links:

• was scheduled to help with the promo today but Henry was quick on the draw. I've edited the opening post with more info

Expect the tickets to go quickly so don't hang about it you fancy it

A likely story.

Claiming the credit for other people's posts now. Most likely will give himself a promote too
  • edited November 2017
    Would love to have gone but sadly have a funeral that day.

Edit, should run a sweep stake for the charity for SCP’s finishing time for the marathon.
  • Sounds like a good night for a great cause. Will be there
  • Millwall pub? :)

I found that every pub I tried to book in SE1 for CA
  • edited November 2017
    Fook... who is ordering the boxes of tissues and bottles of handwash?

Hope it raises bundles for a good good cause.
  • Got my tickets. Free entry to see Curbs and Sir Chris in the flesh - not been this excited since I managed to "accidentally" wander into the changing rooms at The Griffin in 1997!
  • Got my ticket!
  • Got my ticket. Looking forward to this.
  • I'm in.
  • I'll be there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Got mine as well
  • My bitch @davemehmet got mine.
  • My mate @davemehmet kindly got mine as he couldn’t get in touch with me to check whether I’d seen this thread.

• My mate @davemehmet kindly got mine as he couldn’t get in touch with me to check whether I’d seen this thread.

That’s what I meant to say. Auto predictive text took over though.

Wanker

Wanker
    Sorry, predictive text. Meant to say, no problem mate.
  • Sold out
    Seems odd that they were free. Hopefully everyone that ordered them use them.

• I've now got a spare ticket for this - my son has to work that evening.

Anyone want it?

Could post it or meet up before the event.