Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nextgen ATP

Anyone watched any of this nextgen ATP
The ATP are trialling new rules in this event, be interesting to see if this ever went in the main tour.

1- 5 set matches each set is first to 4 instead of 6(3-3 goes to tiebreak
2-no deuce
3-shot clock on serve to ensure server doesnt go over 25 seconds, also shot clock for medical time outs and break between sets.
4- no let calls
5-shorter warm up(match to start exactly 5 minutes after 2nd player enters arena
6-1 medical timeout per person per match
7-players and coachs allowed to talk at set times in the match(via earpierce, coach isnt allowed in court)

Comments

• Options
    And young ladies undressing to reveal group letters
  • Options
    So tennis one of the most popular sports in the world needs to reinvent itself. Why? Is there a mob demanding any of this? Or is it just that someone in the ATP needs to show how 'modern' they are.
    I can't think of one established world sport that has succeeded in this type of change. It usually makes things much worse.
    Organic change is one thing but this is just nuts.
  • Options
    iainment said:

So tennis one of the most popular sports in the world needs to reinvent itself. Why? Is there a mob demanding any of this? Or is it just that someone in the ATP needs to show how 'modern' they are.
    I can't think of one established world sport that has succeeded in this type of change. It usually makes things much worse.

The ATP did a survey earlier his year and apparently these were the rules most people would like changed, I personally like the no Deuce rule
  • Options
    There does seem a real demand to shorten Sporting Events and speed them up

i.e. Even Football has been mentioned as being shortened to 60min matches instead of 90min ones...
  • Options
    If they are changing the rules, I would just make it one serve.
  • Options

iainment said:

The ATP did a survey earlier his year and apparently these were the rules most people would like changed, I personally like the no Deuce rule
    I bet the survey wasn't because tennis fans were agitating for wholesale change.
    Perhaps the no lets is a good idea as it rewards an aggressive serve.
    Sport is losing it's soul to short term opportunism from it's administrators. No doubt fuelled by money from media organisations who want more shorter contests.
  • Options
    Not convinced these changes are needed. If I was to change tennis, it would be to reduce the power of rackets so that it's easier for players to serve volley, and approach the net in general
  • Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

I bet the survey wasn't because tennis fans were agitating for wholesale change.
    Sport is losing it's soul to short term opportunism from it's administrators. No doubt fuelled by money from media organisations who want more shorter contests.
    I'm sure I heard Andy Murray say that he thinks there should be no let rule. There are also often complaints that I have heard about certain players taking too long between shots, particularly when someone like Nadal is playing.
  • Options

iainment said:

iainment said:

I'm sure I heard Andy Murray say that he thinks there should be no let rule. There are also often complaints that I have heard about certain players taking too long between shots, particularly when someone like Nadal is playing.
    That's certainly true for Nadal

As for Murray, they need to bring in a "no moaning at your box" rule!