Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

DIY PPI

Anyone done this successfully? Any tips?

Comments

• razil said:

Get the template letter from the Martin Lewis website. It also give you answers to some of the questions that are on the forms that the bank send you.
  • edited October 2017

razil said:

Get the template letter from the Martin Lewis website. It also give you answers to some of the questions that are on the forms that the bank send you.
    Yes. The money saving expert site provides all the templates.

• Got a 5 figure pay out 4 years ago.

Didn't use any websites or model letters. Phoned Barclays and told them I wanted my money back plus a compensation settlement. They sent me a questionaire, I completed it. 6 weeks later they paid me over £14k.
  • I have always believed that I never had PPI on anything, but thinking about it further I know I had a Marks & Spencer storecard (not a credit card) many, many years ago where I did tick the payment protection box (a mate had been turned down and the only difference between the two applications was that box tick).

Although not a credit card, it would have been backed by M&S Financial Services. Anyone know if those are covered by this legislation? I had always assumed not.
  • I'm currently doing this and have got just under £5k back with very little effort. I just googled each of the companies that I remembered having loans or credit cards with, followed the procedures on their website, filled out a few forms and Robert's your fathers brother. Do not use any of the claims companies, it is incredibly easy to do it yourself.

PS - I had no paperwork for any of the cards or loans and that didn't matter at all.
  • Just used the Resolver site, that basically takes you through all the usual questions etc and then sends the email for you.

Easy. Hopefully I get something out of this.
  • does anyone remember which bank did the original Charlton Athletic MasterCard? It would have been in the late 90s

I'm sure it was either Bank of Scotland or RBS but both have told me they have no record of me having a card with them
  • edited November 2017
    TelMc32 said:

I have always believed that I never had PPI on anything, but thinking about it further I know I had a Marks & Spencer storecard (not a credit card) many, many years ago where I did tick the payment protection box (a mate had been turned down and the only difference between the two applications was that box tick).

Although not a credit card, it would have been backed by M&S Financial Services. Anyone know if those are covered by this legislation? I had always assumed not.

M&S FS plc are authorised. But they are now part of HSBC. For the period you are talking about it seems probable that the charge card would have been issued by a subsidiary of the retailer itself. In any event, it seems to me that the complaint is about the mis-selling of the insurance not the card itself, so the type of card is a red herring. The PPI insurance product would have had to have been issued by an authorised firm. Whether that was M&S itself or they were acting as an authorised representative of a third party - you'd have to ask.
    rina said:

does anyone remember which bank did the original Charlton Athletic MasterCard? It would have been in the late 90s

I'm sure it was either Bank of Scotland or RBS but both have told me they have no record of me having a card with them

My guess - and it is only a guess - is that it might have been MBNA - they do (did?) a load of so-called affinity cards.

Edited to add: did it look like this one? ukfinancialoptions.co.uk/charlton-athletic-football-club-credit-card.htm If so, then yeah, MBNA.

Edited (again) to add that Mrs cafcfan thinks it was Natwest - perhaps that was an earlier version? Natwest, of course are now RBS.
  • edited November 2017
    rina said:

does anyone remember which bank did the original Charlton Athletic MasterCard? It would have been in the late 90s

I thought it was the woolwich? I had one. Never bought anything just wanted the card with the valley on it. It defaulted to another card and got a woolwich card through the post some years later and wondered why. The Cafc one must have run out.

I have no idea re pps and had a few cards in the past but always paid off straightaway never had a loan. If you can’t remember account details how can they find out what you’re owed?

• definitely wasn't nat west as I banked with them at the time and it was a different bank. it didn't look like that MBNA one, it was red, but could have been an older version, I'll give them a try

woolwich doesn't sound right Suzi but I obviously can't remember so will give them a try too

Thanks both
  • Sponsored links:

• Rina - the Charlton Athletic Football Club Affinity MasterCard was through Bank of Scotland. I have just checked my records and see I had one from 1991 to 2003. I am pretty sure I didn't take any PPI and would have paid mine off in full practically every month so shouldn't have incurred much, if any, interest. However I will check as I managed to recoup £11,000 from Norwich Union for a missold mortgage insurance payment which was one of the happiest moments of my life.
  • I've just had the phone call to end all phone calls re reclaimimg PPI.

As some of you may be aware I am a financial advisor & have been for almost 30 years. I know I never had PPI, or had it added & then had it removed - I've even had a firm that insisted that I MUST have had it look into it for me (just so show them that I know what I'm talking about) and so far I have received 7 letters from them, all saying that a particular credit card company, lender, or institution has written back saying that I never had it with them.

So, back to today. Young lady on the phone wouldn't take no for an answer & was trying to explain that new FCA guidelines state that I'm due for a refund because I never took it out - something along the lines of "if you had it then it might has been mis-sold, but if you didn't have it and should have had it, then it was also (not) mis-sold because you might have needed it & not had it, and so can claim for not having it". I think this was the gist of it, but I had lost patience by then & put the phone down on her.

Oh, and don't get me started on the new cold calling theme - life assurance. 4 so far this week (2 on Wednesday alone) and we are only part way through today. don't get me wrong, I'm a great advocate of LA & have 3 policies plus critical illness cover, but as I keep explaining to these people, I can arrange it myself (and get the commission or cheaper premiums) and in any case mine were taken out years ago when I was younger, healthier & didn't have high blood pressure, which would make any new cover a lot more expensive - but then again I expect a 20-something year old in a call centre knows more than me about this........
  • edited November 2017

Got a 5 figure pay out 4 years ago.

Didn't use any websites or model letters. Phoned Barclays and told them I wanted my money back plus a compensation settlement. They sent me a questionaire, I completed it. 6 weeks later they paid me over £14k.

I am also with Barclays ......... was that for PPI out of interest , and if yes on what kind of product ?
  • I've just had the phone call to end all phone calls re reclaimimg PPI.

As some of you may be aware I am a financial advisor & have been for almost 30 years. I know I never had PPI, or had it added & then had it removed - I've even had a firm that insisted that I MUST have had it look into it for me (just so show them that I know what I'm talking about) and so far I have received 7 letters from them, all saying that a particular credit card company, lender, or institution has written back saying that I never had it with them.

So, back to today. Young lady on the phone wouldn't take no for an answer & was trying to explain that new FCA guidelines state that I'm due for a refund because I never took it out - something along the lines of "if you had it then it might has been mis-sold, but if you didn't have it and should have had it, then it was also (not) mis-sold because you might have needed it & not had it, and so can claim for not having it". I think this was the gist of it, but I had lost patience by then & put the phone down on her.

Oh, and don't get me started on the new cold calling theme - life assurance. 4 so far this week (2 on Wednesday alone) and we are only part way through today. don't get me wrong, I'm a great advocate of LA & have 3 policies plus critical illness cover, but as I keep explaining to these people, I can arrange it myself (and get the commission or cheaper premiums) and in any case mine were taken out years ago when I was younger, healthier & didn't have high blood pressure, which would make any new cover a lot more expensive - but then again I expect a 20-something year old in a call centre knows more than me about this........

Have they got rid of that cunning wheeze where you got to keep the commission even if you immediately cancelled the policy?
  • edited November 2017
    cafcfan said:

I've just had the phone call to end all phone calls re reclaimimg PPI.

Have they got rid of that cunning wheeze where you got to keep the commission even if you immediately cancelled the policy?
    Not sure what you are referring to. All life assurance policies & most pension & investment ones had any commission clawed back if the policy was cancelled with 2 years, although some policies can be up to 5 years, depending on which commission option you took.

One good thing that came about over the new advice charging rules is that pension & investment products no longer have commission & any fees are agreed between the advisor & his client. I once suffered a clawback of almost £4k after a client decided to take advice from another IFA (which is their right - no problem with that) but the scheming **** then got her to switch all her pensions & investments to another provider, thus giving him a nice wedge & a big clawback for me. There was no need to move all her stuff, some of which had been set up for less than 12 months & the companies & funds were all good. I had no comeback & not allowed to even speak to the client to find out why & to explain to her that he was mostly doing it for his sake & not hers.

Protection products (life assurance, critical illness cover, income protection etc) still pay commission but my company hold back a proportion of the initial commission for 2 years just in case you suffer a clawback & therefore there will some funds in the "pot" to alleviate this..
  • holyjo said:

Got a 5 figure pay out 4 years ago.

I am also with Barclays ......... was that for PPI out of interest , and if yes on what kind of product ?
    Series of loans during my student days. A big part of it was compensation - interest and a settlement. They royally stitched me up when I re-finnaced the original loan - the advisor who did it was sacked - but at the time the concept of claiming compensation didn’t really exist.
  • cafcfan said:

Not sure what you are referring to. All life assurance policies & most pension & investment ones had any commission clawed back if the policy was cancelled with 2 years, although some policies can be up to 5 years, depending on which commission option you took.

One good thing that came about over the new advice charging rules is that pension & investment products no longer have commission & any fees are agreed between the advisor & his client. I once suffered a clawback of almost £4k after a client decided to take advice from another IFA (which is their right - no problem with that) but the scheming **** then got her to switch all her pensions & investments to another provider, thus giving him a nice wedge & a big clawback for me. There was no need to move all her stuff, some of which had been set up for less than 12 months & the companies & funds were all good. I had no comeback & not allowed to even speak to the client to find out why & to explain to her that he was mostly doing it for his sake & not hers.

Protection products (life assurance, critical illness cover, income protection etc) still pay commission but my company hold back a proportion of the initial commission for 2 years just in case you suffer a clawback & therefore there will some funds in the "pot" to alleviate this..
    Think I must have been thinking about this sort of thing (of course no way back into the industry afterwards!)

https://ftadviser.com/2016/09/09/insurance/life-assurance/life-insurance-broker-guilty-of-k-commission-fraud-k5W0r9EVAwhUinCcRJ48dM/article.html and https://covermagazine.co.uk/cover/news/2453470/life-insurance-agent-found-guilty-of-commission-fraud
  • Heard the latest is “ Have you been sick on holiday?” We’ll help you to claim against your holiday suppliers.
  • edited February 2018
    quick update: my DIY attempt at picking low hanging fruit, namely a speculative approach to my Bank, has paid off a nice sum, nothing spectacular but also not to be sniffed at for very little effort really and no fees to agents - let them deal with the fruit higher up..

I needed pretty much zero account information, so very little effort.

This link helpful too to give you ammunition if needed.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2011/05/top-five-ppi-mis-selling-tactics-253105/

Read this thoroughly to see just how sneaky they were, you may be surprised to find you even had PPI, sometimes it was added without your knowledge.

Let me know if you fancy trying it and have any success, I know one or two other Lifers who have.

:):)
  • Rina - the Charlton Athletic Football Club Affinity MasterCard was through Bank of Scotland. I have just checked my records and see I had one from 1991 to 2003. I am pretty sure I didn't take any PPI and would have paid mine off in full practically every month so shouldn't have incurred much, if any, interest. However I will check as I managed to recoup £11,000 from Norwich Union for a missold mortgage insurance payment which was one of the happiest moments of my life.

thanks @Cardinal Sin have only just seen this. I was sure it was one of the scottish banks, I'll chase them again now I know which one
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:

Come on Golfie this is how IFAs earn a living. Since when did an IFA do a "free" review and say everything is fine leave it where it is so earn naff all for his work. Will only change when people are prepared to pay for advice out of their own money and demand added value.

I've never had an IFA enquiry which did not also ask up front for a transfer out form for the member to sign. Once had an IFA requesting only cursory information, like "how much is the fund" transferred his client out of our scheme invested with L&G. IFA put client unknowingly back in same L&G fund via a Personal Policy with charges 10 times higher. He complained to me for not telling him where her money was invested.
  • If you had ppi on a loan or mortgage that is still running do they pay you or just put it back into the outstanding debt?
  • my update.

As said many times before I am a financial adviser & have known about the perils of PPI for years. 6 few months ago I finally gave in to an ambulance chaser & agreed for them to check for me. After filling in numerous forms they have been getting back to me on virtually a weekly basis saying "sorry, but xxxxx company have said that you did not have any PPI with them".

Just after xmas I got a letter saying that Barclaycard have found that I did, in fact, take out some PPI & I was due a refund. With the letter was the ambulance chaser's terms & conditions saying that they would be taking x% and that if it was under a certain amount (£250 ?) then I wouldn't be getting anything as that is their minimum fee.

Yesterday I got a letter from Barclaycard confirming my redress amount & enclosed a cheque for.................£77.99 !!!!!!

whoo, hoo

They said that I had paid 2 months premiums sometime in 2003. I think the interest accrued on the money was more than the PPI fee itself. I haven't cashed the cheque as I'm sure the ambulance chasers will want it all. Not really bothered.

• Just given my details to Gladstone Brookes, about a 10 min phone call and they do the rest, fingers crossed and thanks for the tips lifers.