Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anthony Barness

....has signed for Conference South side Lewes.I thought he had massive potential when he first got in our 1st team.He probably hasnt had a bad career but i think he could achieved more.

Comments

• After leaving Notlob he played down here for Plymouth Argyle for 2 years.

He's 35 or 36 now, so I guess age has caught up with him a bit.
  • his career has really gone to the toilet hasnt it?

You, I 'n' all agree he was an ok player for us.
  • he's still 34 apparently
  • Wasn't Johnny Robinson down at Lewes last year?
  • Barney has done very well for himself, after leaving us for the 2nd time...he spent 5 years at Bolton in and out of the team....but prob earning a good old wage

..always solid and is 2 footed (which can't be said for a lot of our fullbacks)!...come through the youth set up with Stevie Brown....

...so looking at his career profile spent around 9 years playing in the top filght...that's good going for a lad that started off when we were in the depths of the 2nd tier in 1991
  • [cite]Posted By: howitzer[/cite]Barney has done very well for himself, after leaving us for the 2nd time...he spent 5 years at Bolton in and out of the team....but prob earning a good old wage

..always solid and is 2 footed (which can't be said for a lot of our fullbacks)!...come through the youth set up with Stevie Brown....

...so looking at his career profile spent around 9 years playing in the top filght...that's good going for a lad that started off when we were in the depths of the 2nd tier in 1991

I was going to defend him, but you have done it so well howitzer. Agreed.
  • Barney had a good first season at Argyle but wasn't picked that much under Ollie, the new manager last year.

No surprise that he was released at the end of his contract.
  • Always thought Barney was a decent player for us. Not much pace, admittedly, but he read the game well and always looked comfortable in possession. His family used to live next door to my nan in Catford and my mate was friends with his brother Neil. Nice family, and a decent player, but I think he sort of made the most out of his career as he was never that talented and picking up a decent wage as a squad player in the prem must have set him up for life.

I remember he scored an absolute belter at the Valley in about 97 or 98. I think it might have been against Stoke - hit it from about 30 yards and never got above about three foot off the ground
  • Good player but liked a drink far too much to get on - shame - although shared a few sambucas with him down the venue so maybe I was 0.0001% part to blame
  • Went to a wedding about 9 years ago!my mate got married and he was there!top bloke and popped in to the pub i use to drink in a few times,top fella!
  • Sponsored links:

• Playing against him sunday, don't know much about him what was he like as a player for us?
  • He’s a friend of a friend. As said earlier on in the thread, he liked beer.
  • Good player but liked a drink far too much to get on - shame - although shared a few sambucas with him down the venue so maybe I was 0.0001% part to blame

Always remember a boys trip to butlins bognor a good few years ago. Charlton were playing Peterborough or Norwich i think,while I was down there.
    They were 2-1 down with about 5 to go. Had the vidiprinter on in the room but i walked out pissed off with a couple of minutes left to go and get a beer with the chaps.
    Walk into the main bar later that night and there's Barney lining up the shots with his mates
    Go over to have a bit of a vent when he tells me Leaburn and someone else scored 2 at the death!
    Great night had by all.

• The joke years ago was that Chelsea signed him and thought they were signing Scott Minto. A bit like the Americans buying London Bridge.
  • masicat said:

The joke years ago was that Chelsea signed him and thought they were signing Scott Minto. A bit like the Americans buying London Bridge.

Chelsea sent scouts to watch Minto but he was injured. Barney was his replacement and Chelsea liked what they saw.
  • shirty5 said:

masicat said:

The joke years ago was that Chelsea signed him and thought they were signing Scott Minto. A bit like the Americans buying London Bridge.

Chelsea sent scouts to watch Minto but he was injured. Barney was his replacement and Chelsea liked what they saw.
    Then got greedy and had them both?