Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Have you seen how much it is though!?!
  • Have you seen how much it is though!?!

£249 for me.
  • I'd prefer a Sonos sound bar. Looking at the set-up, it looks like it's not only compatible with SkyQ, so that makes it fairly tempting for £250.
  • I like the shape, don't like the long thin one I have at the moment. Bluetooth enabled so good for itunes on your iphone.
    Not a full review but good comments on this link
    https://www.t3.com/features/we-listened-to-the-sky-soundbox-heres-what-we-thought
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I'd prefer a Sonos sound bar. Looking at the set-up, it looks like it's not only compatible with SkyQ, so that makes it fairly tempting for £250.

That only applies if you are, already, paying Sky c. £50 a month plus.

Clever marketing as it gives the impression that it is an £800 bit of kit that you can get for £250 if you sign up for Sky for a year (or maybe 18 months).

Just means you need someone that has Sky to order one for you for £300 - or £250 with Sky Q.

I don't see how it can outperform a proper home cinema set up which I assume that most people with Sky Q will have as they are likely to be techy people. It also doesn't say anything about having the ability to be voice activated like the new Sonos, the Amazon Echo or the equivalents from Apple and Google - all of which cost less that £800.

I suspect it will go the way of their last attempt at this. The Sky Gnome - I actually bought one of these and used it less than half a dozen times before it went on eBay. https://www.stuff.tv/sky/gnome/review
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I'd prefer a Sonos sound bar. Looking at the set-up, it looks like it's not only compatible with SkyQ, so that makes it fairly tempting for £250.

Clever marketing as it gives the impression that it is an £800 bit of kit that you can get for £250 if you sign up for Sky for a year (or maybe 18 months).

Just means you need someone that has Sky to order one for you for £300 - or £250 with Sky Q.

I don't see how it can outperform a proper home cinema set up which I assume that most people with Sky Q will have as they are likely to be techy people. It also doesn't say anything about having the ability to be voice activated like the new Sonos, the Amazon Echo or the equivalents from Apple and Google - all of which cost less that £800.

I suspect it will go the way of their last attempt at this. The Sky Gnome - I actually bought one of these and used it less than half a dozen times before it went on eBay. https://www.stuff.tv/sky/gnome/review

It’s just a sound bar, wouldn’t expect it to be a smart speaker or out perform a home cinema set up. Especially if you can get it for less than 300 quid.

Given the price if you have Sky it’s an absolute bargain. Devialet make seriously good kit.
  • I've pre-registered for one. It isn't better that my existing sound setup but its a little more pleasing to the eye, (my wife's), than my present collection of speakers.
  • Will ring Sky up and threaten to leave. Been a customer since 2004.

I haven't got Q yet so may be able to get Q and SoundBar for same price as I'm paying now.

No harm in asking and never done the threat thing before.
  • WSS said:

Will ring Sky up and threaten to leave. Been a customer since 2004.

I haven't got Q yet so may be able to get Q and SoundBar for same price as I'm paying now.

No harm in asking and never done the threat thing before.

You've got the MySky app ? If you've been a Sky customer since 2004 you should qualify for Sky Q set up at no additional cost if you also already have multi room.

• JiMMy 85 said:

I am paying that, so that's why I'm tempted! But probably won't because I don't want to pay them an extra penny, ironically, because of the marketing people!

We all got given free Gnomes a few years back, and they all ended up on eBay and people got done by HR. The worst thing about them was, if you didn't charge them up correctly the first time (it was a very specific process) then it would become a big, orange, plastic paperweight for the rest of its existence.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcpolo said:

JiMMy 85 said:

It’s just a sound bar, wouldn’t expect it to be a smart speaker or out perform a home cinema set up. Especially if you can get it for less than 300 quid.

Given the price if you have Sky it’s an absolute bargain. Devialet make seriously good kit.
    Indeed it is a decent price. I'm just not sure who will need it. If you have Sonos then you don't need if for your music and if you have a home cinema set up then you don't need it for your TV. Maybe there are a lot of people that shell out c. £50 a month for a TV package that have never got round to worrying about the sound - if so then, assuming that they suddenly do care about the sound now, this is a great option for them.

I suspect that the price will be tempting for enough people that like to buy high quality devices at decent/low prices, I'm just not sure they need it. This just reminds me of the Bose docking station that I purchased for my iPod when they first came out - most expensive charger I ever bought.
  • cafcpolo said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Indeed it is a decent price. I'm just not sure who will need it. If you have Sonos then you don't need if for your music and if you have a home cinema set up then you don't need it for your TV. Maybe there are a lot of people that shell out c. £50 a month for a TV package that have never got round to worrying about the sound - if so then, assuming that they suddenly do care about the sound now, this is a great option for them.

I suspect that the price will be tempting for enough people that like to buy high quality devices at decent/low prices, I'm just not sure they need it. This just reminds me of the Bose docking station that I purchased for my iPod when they first came out - most expensive charger I ever bought.
    this would be me, been thinking about a sound bar (or something like that) for a while - is this worth the cash then?, by the sounds of it, it is
  • se9addick said:

Moving house and will be buying a new TV & soundbar type thing but don't know much about these sort of things, is this a good deal?;

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue55mu7070-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-sound-hw-ms650-3-0-all-in-one-sound-bar-b0431092-pdt.html

Flipping eck. I paid £430 (may have been less thinking about it) earlier this year for a Hisense 55", 4k, smart tele. More than happy with it albeit the sound could be improved with a separate sound bar admitedly, but I don't think that's unique to Hisense.

I'll admit I had reservations myself as usually plump for Samsung myself but it's fine for me and would have no hesitation recommending them.
  • Whatever happened to the vertical and horizontal hold knobs ?

Careful what you say about them, SE9 are watching! ;)
  • cafcpolo said:

JiMMy 85 said:

this would be me, been thinking about a sound bar (or something like that) for a while - is this worth the cash then?, by the sounds of it, it is
    As cafcpolo suggests, google Devialet and it is clear that this item is heavenly subsidised by Sky. If you’re in the market for a sound bar then I would, certainly, look at these for £250 or £300!
  • edited October 2017
    se9addick said:

Moving house and will be buying a new TV & soundbar type thing but don't know much about these sort of things, is this a good deal?;

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue55mu7070-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-sound-hw-ms650-3-0-all-in-one-sound-bar-b0431092-pdt.html

Not a bad deal at all, personally would look at the LG 55B7 as you’re kind of in that price range. Is quite superior TV. Can use the code LSTV10A to get a further 10% off as well. No sound bar with that but you are then entitled to another 200 quid off selected others so wouldn’t be spending too much more.

Or, go for this little beauty...

https://johnlewis.com/panasonic-58dx802b-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-3d-smart-tv-58-with-freeview-play-freetime-sound-bar-art-interior-freestyle-design-ultra-hd-certified/p2711552
  • I have soundbars on my tv's downstairs and can't fault them. One I got with the TV and that was around £350 and the one in the family room was a £150 Sony cheapo one I got just so i could see if they were any good. Both have separate bluetooth subwoofers so minimal cabling anyway.

If anyone is in doubt then I can't recommend soundbars enough. Much easier to install and the sound is bloody great.

I now have a dilemma of how I convince my wife we need this new one. I suppose I could put it on the TV in the spare bedroom......
  • Have one of these paired with the TV in the living room. Absolutely brilliant piece of kit. Got it from Richer Sounds about 18 months ago with a 5 year warranty chucked in.

https://www.whathifi.com/canton/dm-55/review
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow. Sky have finally come up with a product that I probably won't end up buying.
  • I've got an old surround sound amp in the shed which I'm hoping to sneak into the new house when the missus is not looking... wish me luck.

She's prefer something like this soundbox thing, not because it's better, but because it will fit in better with the furniture - women eh?

Here's the thread for you:forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/79387/how-big-s-yer-knob#latest
  • You can use this without Sky, but I still wouldn't buy one.
  • Have one of these paired with the TV in the living room. Absolutely brilliant piece of kit. Got it from Richer Sounds about 18 months ago with a 5 year warranty chucked in.

Agree......I’ve got the DM100.

Quality.
  • edited October 2017

Have one of these paired with the TV in the living room. Absolutely brilliant piece of kit. Got it from Richer Sounds about 18 months ago with a 5 year warranty chucked in.

Quality.
    But twice the price of Sky's new device ? Twice as good ?

Quality.
    But twice the price of Sky's new device ? Twice as good ?

Well......only twice the price if you can take advantage of the discount.

£250 dearer if not.

I cannot comment on the Sky box as I haven’t heard it - but the company that make it are good so it should be very good quality.

I don’t like it aesthetically though.
  • Did anyone buy one of these in the end?
  • Still waiting. I pre-registered to purchase but have heard nowt. Maybe there's a glitch.
  • There don't seem to be a lot of connection options on the back of the basic SKY Q box - I'm hoping I can use the digital out to connect to my old surround sound amp. Decided on a set of Wharfdale DX1 speakers, rather than the very old speakers it was connected to at the previous house. Before the wooden floor goes down I'm going to channel out the floor and lay the speaker cables - wife doesn't want to see any wires.