Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• @cafc95 we go every year doing weds and Thursday this year
    Weds - club enclosure
    Thursday - Guiness village

We always stay in Birmingham about 40 mins on train from Cheltenham
  • Cafc95 said:

Any advice on the Cheltenham festival? Group of about 6 of us want to do it this year. Where to stay, go out, what enclosure etc?

Any advice appreciated

We always go to the Club Enclosure as it has the best view. Early bird price now on sale. We prefer to go and return on the day by train. Most accommodation will already be sold out, so get cracking if you want to stay within 30 miles.

Everywhere is packed in the evenings, but I can't say we've ever found anywhere memorable, which is why we now prefer to return on the day. Tuesday-Thursday will be rammed and Friday you can barely move.

It's possibly the best day/week of the year.

http://cheltenham.thejockeyclub.co.uk/events-tickets/whats-on/the-festival-st-patricks-day
    thanks for the help!
  • Been tipped that Hyperfocus should run well in the 3.35 at Doncaster.

For E/w backers Bet365 offering 5 places.

think something must of been wrong with the horse doyle eased up and stood up 1.5f out.

think something must of been wrong with the horse doyle eased up and stood up 1.5f out.
    Got the tip from somebody who gave me a 14/1 winner yesterday, so decided to put on here.

That's the game, I suppose.

Apologies.

Got the tip from somebody who gave me a 14/1 winner yesterday, so decided to put on here.

That's the game, I suppose.

Apologies.
    no need to apologise, tips are always a risk that's why i personally never share them.

but thanks anyway and good job on yesterdays winner
  • smiffyboy said:

Rumours circulating Douvan is to be retired which has been denied by Mullins. One thing I’ve learned over the years is 9/10 rumours thatMullins denied turn out to be true.

Complications with his injury before the Queen Mother?
  • Total Recall - Ladbrokes Trophy (Hennessy) - 2 December.

My source quotes Mullins: "If the English handicapper doesn't go too hard on him he'll beat these senseless. Will go off 3/1"

Currently 8/1

Also - Samcro - Ballymore Novices Hurdle (formerly Neptune) at Cheltenham. Currently 5/1 so value sort of gone (I'm on at bigger thankfully) - it's a machine and "a class apart".
  • bobmunro said:

Total Recall - Ladbrokes Trophy (Hennessy) - 2 December.

My source quotes Mullins: "If the English handicapper doesn't go too hard on him he'll beat these senseless. Will go off 3/1"

Currently 8/1

Also - Samcro - Ballymore Novices Hurdle (formerly Neptune) at Cheltenham. Currently 5/1 so value sort of gone (I'm on at bigger thankfully) - it's a machine and "a class apart".

Thanks Bob.

Any views/news on Melon for the Champion Hurdle? See the horse is entered up on Friday at Down Royal and also in the Morgiana on the 19th (Mullins has 9 of the 15 entries in the race!)
  • bobmunro said:

Currently 8/1

Interesting, though the Irish have a very poor record in the Hennessy.
    I like the 'obvious' home challenger, American, though he is quite ground dependent, i.e. soft.
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

Currently 8/1

Thanks Bob.

Any views/news on Melon for the Champion Hurdle? See the horse is entered up on Friday at Down Royal and also in the Morgiana on the 19th (Mullins has 9 of the 15 entries in the race!)
    I'll see what I can find out about Melon but personally I can't see past last year's winner. Very likely to run in the Champion Hurdle though so perhaps an each-way ante-post just in case Buveur D'Air has a setback.

• bobmunro said:

Currently 8/1

Interesting, though the Irish have a very poor record in the Hennessy.
    I like the 'obvious' home challenger, American, though he is quite ground dependent, i.e. soft.
    Very true - but Mullins is very, very bullish about Total Recall.
  • Mark Johnston could have a few winners tonight at Chelmsford.
  • faugheen holds and entry to the morgiana on 19th november if it wins that i expect the 6/1 on offer for champion hurdle to go
  • the owners of cue card proving what greedy fuckers racehorse owners can be, retire the horse ffs it owes you nothing. it cant keep getting up from these falls.
  • the owners of cue card proving what greedy fuckers racehorse owners can be, retire the horse ffs it owes you nothing. it cant keep getting up from these falls.

Was going well enough at Wetherby. Outside Kauto Star and Sprinter Sacre he's one of the best, perhaps the best, chasers we've seen in recent years. Perfectly possible he can win at Haydock in Betfair Chase. Kauto Star did so at 11.

Certainly wouldn't describe Jean Bishop in that way either.

Can see the trading angle in this price. But 6/1 about a horse that hasn't run in nearly two years doesn't sound the best idea I've ever heard

Can see the trading angle in this price. But 6/1 about a horse that hasn't run in nearly two years doesn't sound the best idea I've ever heard
    i take it this is regarding faugheen?

on its day it wins at a canter, but its a risk if it enters and romps the morgiana then 6's would be a huge price although with ruby riding it you would want to be taking faller insurance :wink:

Was going well enough at Wetherby. Outside Kauto Star and Sprinter Sacre he's one of the best, perhaps the best, chasers we've seen in recent years. Perfectly possible he can win at Haydock in Betfair Chase. Kauto Star did so at 11.

Certainly wouldn't describe Jean Bishop in that way either.
    not saying it cant win but its last 3 runs its hit the deck twice.

i agree its a beast, and would be nice to see it romp a race 1 last time

but it has hauled 1.3 million gbp, so had paid its way to enjoy a retirement in my opinion.
  • Yes, sorry, that was regarding Faugheen! I think they'll have him off for his life in the Morgiana and opposition may be thin on the ground...

If he did get short for the Champion would look to take him on all day long. Buveur D'Air is very good in his own right, and don't think quite got the credit he deserves last year. Faugheen will be 10 by next March and you have to go back to 1981 and Sea Pigeon for a winner that old!

• Sponsored links:

• 1.10 Newbury - Tobefair @ 10/1

It's great value, and that's what my guys are looking for. Chasing reappearance didn't go to plan so we're now switched back to hurdles. Based on the numbers:

- 4/6 over the distance;
    - 6/8 with this jockey on board;
    - 1/1 at Newbury; and
    - 2/2 in Class 2 races,

we're looking at a great bit of value - either EW or on the nose - to be had.
  • Yeah he's interesting back over hurdles Tobefair. Not sure got much in hand on a mark of 140 though? But solid and should make frame. Thought the Bowen kid was eye catching booking on Just Milly in that race.

Later on the card sees Topofthegame debut over fences. He won't be much of a price today but could be a monster over fences.
  • Good points - but ultimately, is he gonna win something like this more than 10% of the time? I would think so. I won't be disappointed if he lost today but that's the value-finding game.

Topofthegame looks like a potential beast, absolutely. The only question is whether he'll need the run.
  • Lol well
  • topofthegame jumps superbly, then takes a fall, shame as was going well.

horse and jockey fine
  • Here are four horses to put in your tracker for upcoming jumps season,I'm involved in the ownership of all four.We expect all four to win races and hopefully at least one of them will make the Cheltenham Festival next year
    Duhallow Gesture (A.Honeyball)
    East Wing (A.Honeyball)
    My Dance (A.Honeyball)
    Oxford Blu (O.Murphy)

My Dance runs in 3.50 at Warwick today. Aiden Coleman on board.
    Currently 10's with skybet.
  • Sorry just seen your message paulbaconsarnie,was at Warwick and then Olly’s yard today. Aiden was very happy with the horse and says he needs 2 and a half mile plus
  • It's Clonmel Oil Chase today and if there is a race which sums up the plight of Irish racing it has to be this one:

Six runners with prize money down to 6th. Four of the runners are owned by Gigginstown with two of those trained by Gordon Elliott (who also trains the complete outsider) for another owner. Henry de Bromhead trains one for Gigginstown (the favourite) and also the original second favourite for Roger Brookhouse.

So we have a virtual monopoly of prize money - if Gigginstown's horses stand up they are more or less guaranteed four of the first five places. However, the trainers/owners have a massive advantage over the betting public as they, effectively, have a handle on the whole field so far as fitness etc etc is concerned. A recipe for corruption and little wonder that the French couple horses for betting purposes.