Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone Else Kinda Prefer The 1947 Crest?

As a newer fan, I never knew we use to have different crests back in the day.

I see Tuffs sells replica jerseys and I see the one from the 1947 FA Cup final, with four quadrants and the robin. I also see that CARD uses the same crest in it's protest shirt.

Is there anyone (other than me) that would be open to returning to that old crest? Just curious.

Comments

• As a newer fan, I never knew we use to have different crests back in the day.

I see Tuffs sells replica jerseys and I see the one from the 1947 FA Cup final, with four quadrants and the robin. I also see that CARD uses the same crest in it's protest shirt.

Is there anyone (other than me) that would be open to returning to that old crest? Just curious.

My main problem is that it has a robin on the badge and we are now known by our original iconic nickname which is far more appropriate and unique.
    For me the The Robins was never correct.....as was the case with the even more inappropriat Valiants.
  • Although I like that old crest, the robin makes it look quite a bit like the current crest by Tottenham, doesn't it?
  • Nay, Nay and thrice Nay.

love our current badge, and think its the best.
  • edited November 2017
    If we are going to bung a bird on the badge how about a Vulture?, we dould be the Valley Vultures, appropriate at RD picks over the carcass.
  • Sponsored links:

• Our current badge is unique and timeless in its simplicity, it’s a perfect reflection of us (apart from the last 3 years obviously).
  • Gillis said:

I think I'm right in saying (and if I'm not, someone more knowledgeable will soon correct me), that there was no badge on the kit worn in the 1947 Cup Final, although the badge you describe was used by the club at that time.

I don't know if you've seen it before, but the Trust did a three-part series about the history of the badge, which is excellent:

https://www.castrust.org/2013/06/if-you-know-your-istory-cafcbadge-origins/

Personally, I think all the various badges we've used over the years have their charms, but nothing beats the current one.

Correct that no badge in 47 but there was in 46.

@stig did that article

• Inspired by the Blades taking the sword from the City of London badge?

My main problem is that it has a robin on the badge and we are now known by our original iconic nickname which is far more appropriate and unique.
    For me the The Robins was never correct.....as was the case with the even more inappropriat Valiants.
    Most of the club shop gear, mugs etc, seems to have Valiants on it and don't recall seeing addicks anywhere which I thought was odd.

• ive got a really old pin badge at home with the valiants on it, dont know if its worth anything, ill get a pic and stick it up if worth anything the museum can have it of any interest, free of course as i picked it up at a car boot years ago.
  • I think the old badge should be revived, but dump the Robin and stick a Haddock on, maybe with some chips
  • Current badge for me, it’s iconic.
  • edited November 2017
    Gillis said:

I think I'm right in saying (and if I'm not, someone more knowledgeable will soon correct me), that there was no badge on the kit worn in the 1947 Cup Final, although the badge you describe was used by the club at that time.

I don't know if you've seen it before, but the Trust did a three-part series about the history of the badge, which is excellent:

Personally, I think all the various badges we've used over the years have their charms, but nothing beats the current one.

In 1963 a rebranding exercise by the club led to the sword badge that we have today. A competition was held for fans to suggest a new nickname for the club. "Addicks" had long since fallen out of favour with with all but a few older fans, whilst the club believed that "Robins" lacked originality and impact and wanted something a bit more thrusting and gung-ho to try and encourage new fans. Sixty-two possible nicknames were suggested and on the 27th of July the board met and decided that "subject to an appropriate emblem" the new nickname would either be The Crusaders or The Red Devils.
    Where on earth did The Crusaders come from! It conjures up all sorts of awkward imagery about religious battles...
  • Sponsored links:

• ive got a really old pin badge at home with the valiants on it, dont know if its worth anything, ill get a pic and stick it up if worth anything the museum can have it of any interest, free of course as i picked it up at a car boot years ago.

This one?

Mid 60s as issued when the badge and nickname changed.

Sell for about £8 to £10 now but a really high quality enamel badge. Just wish it said Addicks across the middle #realnickname
  • Gillis said:

In 1963 a rebranding exercise by the club led to the sword badge that we have today. A competition was held for fans to suggest a new nickname for the club. "Addicks" had long since fallen out of favour with with all but a few older fans, whilst the club believed that "Robins" lacked originality and impact and wanted something a bit more thrusting and gung-ho to try and encourage new fans. Sixty-two possible nicknames were suggested and on the 27th of July the board met and decided that "subject to an appropriate emblem" the new nickname would either be The Crusaders or The Red Devils.
    Where on earth did The Crusaders come from! It conjures up all sorts of awkward imagery about religious battles...

It was in preparation for our battles in the East when we were converting the locals from Gillingham to Charlton fans.

This one?

Mid 60s as issued when the badge and nickname changed.

Sell for about £8 to £10 now but a really high quality enamel badge. Just wish it said Addicks across the middle #realnickname
    First badge I got and still one of my favourites

Most of the club shop gear, mugs etc, seems to have Valiants on it and don't recall seeing addicks anywhere which I thought was odd.

I find this very hard to believe.....can anyone confirm?
  • Tramp said:

I think the old badge should be revived, but dump the Robin and stick a Haddock on, maybe with some chips

14 chips, upgraded to 26 after the takeover.
  • I love both of the badges, i'm very tempted to get the current badge as a tattoo. I am a tad worried that to people who don't follow football the crest does look a bit like i'm joining the EDL......
  • I love our current badge, and I especially love the old simplified version of it as seen on the page linked by Henry.

When the takeover happens
  • Variatons on a themeimage