Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England news for Germany and Brazil games

Comments

• This season
    0 goals
    0 assists
    74% pass success rate

Not world class in any sense
  • What I meant was his range of passing could be considered world class, but only if he was Spanish or German.

Much like when someone scores an amazing goal there might be a brief 5 second clip, but when Messi or Ronaldo does exactly the same the whole world goes crazy.
  • Ross said:

Redrobo said:

Surprised Shelvey has not been called up. At least he knows how to play the ball forward.

I think Shelvey could be the playmaker that we've been missing. His range and technique is passing is amazing, and if he was Spanish, German etc. would be called world class (maybe).

However, he desperately needs to sort out the discipline side of his game. His hot headed temperament is not what England needs.
    He's no worse than Dele Alli... the FA and the National Team need to stop caring so much about their image
  • Ross said:

Redrobo said:

Surprised Shelvey has not been called up. At least he knows how to play the ball forward.

I think Shelvey could be the playmaker that we've been missing. His range and technique is passing is amazing, and if he was Spanish, German etc. would be called world class (maybe).

However, he desperately needs to sort out the discipline side of his game. His hot headed temperament is not what England needs.
    He's no worse than Dele Alli... the FA and the National Team need to stop caring so much about their image
    Thats ridiculous, i know alot of people dislike Ali but you can't compare him to someone who is just managing to get into the Newcastle side. Deli Ali has shown how crucial he is to spurs and England, admittedly early season he wasn't quite on form but to me is a stand out player for England with Kane.
  • dizzee said:

Wilshere, Lallana and Winks have to go to the WC even if they only play a handful of games before the end of the season.

Agreed. I also think Dier but as a CB.He looks more comfortable there as his midfield game is very limited and Jones is awful.
    Agreed Dier looks better at CB, although would pick Jones ahead of him. Dont think Jones is as much of a liability these days and that was his biggest problem similar to Stones have the best all round game just they used to make silly mistakes too often.
    I used to agree with you until I saw him against Chelsea the other day. He's ok against the mediocre teams but aren't most centre backs? Put him up against a decent striker like Morata and he looked absolutely awful. Even Neville spent the whole match slating him.
  • edited November 2017

Ross said:

Redrobo said:

Oh come on.

Ross said:

Redrobo said:

Thats ridiculous, i know alot of people dislike Ali but you can't compare him to someone who is just managing to get into the Newcastle side. Deli Ali has shown how crucial he is to spurs and England, admittedly early season he wasn't quite on form but to me is a stand out player for England with Kane.
    Sorry I was talking about his temperament not his talent - Should have highlighted that from the quote

Alli is a much better Footballer granted but he's got a right nasty streak about him too
  • dizzee said:

dizzee said:

Wilshere, Lallana and Winks have to go to the WC even if they only play a handful of games before the end of the season.

Agreed. I also think Dier but as a CB.He looks more comfortable there as his midfield game is very limited and Jones is awful.
    Agreed Dier looks better at CB, although would pick Jones ahead of him. Dont think Jones is as much of a liability these days and that was his biggest problem similar to Stones have the best all round game just they used to make silly mistakes too often.
    I used to agree with you until I saw him against Chelsea the other day. He's ok against the mediocre teams but aren't most centre backs? Put him up against a decent striker like Morata and he looked absolutely awful. Even Neville spent the whole match slating him.
    He had a poor game, if you watched Spurs saturday you would notice how different his performance was. admittedly against Palars, but even a pundit said he must have taken on board from that.

Personally i wouldn't start Dier, but feel he is a good squad player and better CB than DM/MC. Dier had a fantastic game against Palars covering well and doing everything right, to me he shouldnt be a midfielder.
  • Shelvey to me gives the ball away too much, playing 1 in 10 chance Hollywood passes too often. Give the ball away against the top teams and you'll be punished
  • Shelvey to me gives the ball away too much, playing 1 in 10 chance Hollywood passes too often. Give the ball away against the top teams and you'll be punished

England have had players like this. They have won nothing with them.

Shelvey's form from a couple years ago at Swansea, maybe. But his reading of the game and in game intelligence just hasn't developed. He was always an instincts player, and when he was with us he played as a 10 because he lacked tactical discipline and while he's gotten better, he's not England level.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Only Crouch Lineker and Greaves average a goal less than every two games for England since 1960.

Harry Kane 12 Goals in 23 :)
    Sorry, think article had minimum 20 goals to show long term strike rate and avoid players like Franny Jeffers being held up as England's lost goal scoring messiahs.
  • Have they called up Joe Dodoo yet?
  • Shelvey has the tools to be an England player. Needs more discipline and desire.
  • Shelvey has the tools to be an England player. Needs more discipline and desire.

I don't think it's desire. To me that word is part of the "I wish players showed more passion when they played for England." That's not the issue. The issue is the inability to deal with the technical and tactical demands of international football. In the Premier League you can get away with a lot technically and tactically that you make up for with athleticism because the league is so fast and so open. That is not the case at international level where it's easy for teams to sit deep and hit you on the counter. I don't think Shelvey is the type of deep lying playmaker who can break teams down. I think he, like a Danny Drinkwater, is great at playing long balls for counter attacks. And England don't really need that.

As it stands, I think England really only have one player that kind of fits that mold (not including Michael Carrick) and that's Jack Wilshere. And even then he's not exactly that type. Jordan Henderson is the prime example of getting away with things because of the openess of the Prem that you can't get away with on the international stage. As far as the young players go, I thunk Winks and Will Hughes could both potentially develop into a player like that. The problem is the Premier League doesn't put as much value in that type of player who dictates play with smart possession, and so even players who have the ability to do that have it coached out of them in favor of more "run around a lot."
  • edited November 2017
  • Ross said:

Redrobo said:

Xavi, Pirlo, Zidane - they were World Class footballers. Shelvey is not even remotely close to being good enough to put the training cones out for those players.
  • Ross said:

Redrobo said:

Xavi, Pirlo, Zidane - they were World Class footballers. Shelvey is not even remotely close to being good enough to put the training cones out for those players.
    with regards to Pirlo and Shelvey, you may want to read comment 5 at the bottom of this article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41903596
  • Did I say Shelvey was world class?

No.

What I said was that if he was from another country he would probably be called world class because everyone seems to overhype foreign footballers.
  • Ross said:

Did I say Shelvey was world class?

No.

What I said was that if he was from another country he would probably be called world class because everyone seems to overhype foreign footballers.

World class, oh come on!!!
  • sm said:

Have they called up Joe Dodoo yet?

Nah, Scottish, ain't he?
  • Sponsored links:

• sm said:

Have they called up Joe Dodoo yet?

Nah, Scottish, ain't he?
    This would explain a lot :wink:
  • Don’t tell me Roland is going to hand around until June 2018 for his extra £2.50.
  • Not sure if it's been mentioned but Jay Dasilva was invited to train with the senior squad for this mornings session
  • Not sure if it's been mentioned but Jay Dasilva was invited to train with the senior squad for this mornings session

I haven't seen it anywhere, thats a good call even to be involved in some way would be great experiance.
  • BBC website, story about Drinkwater turning down a call up, mentions dasilva and tayo Edun of Fulham being invited to train with them this morning
  • Ross said:

Did I say Shelvey was world class?

No.

Isco, Asensio, Dybala have been turning in performances that Shelvey could only dream of, and none of them are yet classed as World Class.
    If Isco and Dybala are not world class then world class must mean only the 3 best players in the world.
  • Asensio is also magnificent
  • edited November 2017
    World Class:

Ronaldo
    Messi
    Iniesta
    Kroos
    Isco
    Asensio
    Dybala
    Insigne
    Kante
    Fabregas
    Sanchez
    Verratti
    Neymar
    Cavani
    Kane (yes I think he is)
    Silva
    De Bruyne
    Aguero

the list goes on and on....

nowhere on that list would Shelvey's name appear.