Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Hull 1976

edited November 2017 in General Charlton
BT Sport are showing this as part of their Big Match revisited at 1pm today. Killer hat trick and golden goal of course. Enjoy!

Comments

• IIRC, there was a tiger cub on the pitch before the game from the circus that was pitched up at Blackheath.
  • Was that game 3-2 and were we 3 up with 5 mins to go. Sure i was at that game and when they scored their second i was under the temporary tv gantry in what would be the away end.
  • edited November 2017
    The 3.2 game was in 80-81 season when we got promoted. We were 3.0 up at half time. Of course, Killer scored in that one as well.
  • I think that was the game where Dick Tydeman scored a belter from about 25/30 yards.
  • BT Sport are showing this as part of their Big Match revisited at 1pm today. Killer hat trick and golden goal of course. Enjoy!

I remember it well. The Golden Goal was Paddy Powell's run across the full length of the pitch and then the cross for Hales to volley home.
  • I was there also in the 'away' end. Saw myself on TV mainly cos I was wearing a Kawasaki green jacket
  • I was there on the bit of terrace between the covered end and the West. Over 40 years ago !
  • E-cafc said:

The 3.2 game was in 80-81 season when we got promoted. We were 3.0 up at half time. Of course, Killer scored in that one as well.

That wss the game i saw under the gantry.
  • Sponsored links:

• My brother's first ever game. That Paddy run for Hales 3rd.
  • My brother's first ever game. That Paddy run for Hales 3rd.

His second goal.
  • I was there and Killer was the best player to play for us IMHO.
  • Was there, happy days. The tv gantry was set up on The East, the sound picked up none of the CE songs, very disgruntled at the time :)
  • watching that 3-2 game I noticed our 3rd goal came from a big boot upfield from a defender, which found Robinson about 25 yards from goal. None of this tippy tappy fancy dan stuff. Perhaps someone should tell KR that this is the Charlton way of playing.
  • Also there, East terrace roughly level with the edge of the penalty area nearest the covered end. Will always remember that Hales volley and in particular the move that led to it. One of the best I've ever seen at the Valley.
  • I was standing in the Covered End pretty much on the line behind Hale's Golden Goal shot.

I remember thinking it was a good goal. When I watched it on the Big Match it was only when I saw the part played by Paddy in the build up that I realised it was such a special one.
  • Davo55 said:

Also there, East terrace roughly level with the edge of the penalty area nearest the covered end. Will always remember that Hales volley and in particular the move that led to it. One of the best I've ever seen at the Valley.

We must have been pretty near each other. We always used to stand there, level with the penalty area, just below the walkway that ran halfway up the terrace
  • About to show the 5-5 game v Bristol Rovers in 1976.
  • Sponsored links:

• Apologies it was the 1-1 game. We got run by Rovers who were in our end. When Flanagan scores in the 2nd half, I can be seen in the front row raising my arms nervously as a young 15 year old. Made it back to the coach in one piece thankfully.
  • edited November 2017
    I was there for the Hull game. Dad always used to take us to the bit between the main stand and the covered end. I don't have a great memory for every specific game, but some do stand out and this is probably one of my earlier ones. Paddy was/is my favourite ever player and his run from right back, laying the ball off, crossing the pitch and picking it up again on the left wing (running past us) was brilliant. As far as I remember the only time that the Big Match had both the scorer and the player who made the assist in and gave them both awards.
  • Davo55 said:

Also there, East terrace roughly level with the edge of the penalty area nearest the covered end. Will always remember that Hales volley and in particular the move that led to it. One of the best I've ever seen at the Valley.

We must have been pretty near each other. We always used to stand there, level with the penalty area, just below the walkway that ran halfway up the terrace
    Andrew ?? :wink:
  • E-cafc said:
    Who's that scoring goals ?
    Who's that scoring goals ?
    Martin Martin Robinson
    Martin Martin Robinson