Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

KR on our new striker Naby Sarr

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5a0234886896f/robinson-on-experimenting-with-sarr-up-front-fosu-injury-update-and-praise-for-mascoll
Sarr went up front for the last few minutes of the game, Robinson explained:

"It’s been something, and people might laugh at me for saying this, we’ve been questioning a lot of the season. I’ve looked behind me. I thought 'he’s 6ft 3in/6ft 4in, he’s technically excellent, he can run'. It might be something that we use even in the league campaign. He’ll certainly be a threat up there. I don’t think there are many bigger, more powerful out there. He’s great with his feet and he’s really endearing himself to everybody at the moment, I think you saw that when you heard the fans clap him. The man has been an amazing person since he walked in, very polite, very well mannered, worked his socks off and really wants to be here."

Comments

• Best keep our eyes on the betting odds.. he'll be into the 50's+ late on in a match for the next goal. If we all pump enough on and he nets we can buy Roly out ourselves.
  • Has many of the attributes of a striker. But - anyone else remember his headed miss at Oxford? A bit more sangfroid required perhaps. I can see it working in an emergency. He's certainly got more skills than Andre Bikey, his predecessor in this regard
  • He'll be the next Dion Dublin, Chris Sutton, or - whisper it - Paul Warhurst
  • redman said:

Just what we want in a striker! very polite, very well mannered. Never scores but heyho

He's scored against two current Premiership clubs and in a friendly this season, I believe...
  • redman said:

Just what we want in a striker! very polite, very well mannered. Never scores but heyho

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but hey ho!
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

redman said:

He's scored against two current Premiership clubs and in a friendly this season, I believe...
    Premier League
  • HandG said:

Missed a sitter tonight though in his five minute foray as a striker...

But he's not a striker don't dig the lad out dig the regime out for leaving us with just Josh and a last gasp bargain basement signing in Dodoo!
  • The new Phil Chapple
  • edited November 2017
  • Barrel well and truly scraped
  • McBobbin said:

He'll be the next Dion Dublin, Chris Sutton, or - whisper it - Paul Warhurst

And before that Dave Watson.
  • wmcf123 said:

Barrel well and truly scraped

Funny no one said that when we used to lump Sam Sodje up top.... Pretty sure we did it with another big strong player too can't remember who now.
  • redman said:

wmcf123 said:

He is replacing Magennis up top - a target man who has a career scoring record of 47 goals in 287 appearances i.e. 1 in 6.

Not exactly Aguero is it?
  • edited November 2017

redman said:

wmcf123 said:

He is replacing Magennis up top - a target man who has a career scoring record of 47 goals in 287 appearances i.e. 1 in 6.

Not exactly Aguero is it?
    You spelled Droughty wrong.
  • Dazzler21 said:

wmcf123 said:

Funny no one said that when we used to lump Sam Sodje up top.... Pretty sure we did it with another big strong player too can't remember who now.
    Bikey
  • Sponsored links:

• Hreiderrson went up top once or twice. Nor Charlton, but does anyone remember a game when David James came on as a sub up front? Can't remember who for, possibly Liverpool. I think that they had a striker on the bench as well. If I recall he gave away a blatant foul.
  • McBobbin said:

Hreiderrson went up top once or twice. Nor Charlton, but does anyone remember a game when David James came on as a sub up front? Can't remember who for, possibly Liverpool. I think that they had a striker on the bench as well. If I recall he gave away a blatant foul.

"There were still two minutes of normal time remaining, plus five for stoppages, when Stuart Pearce, adopting a form of leadership that would have been wacky even by Brian Clough's standards, had the brainwave of replacing a midfielder, Claudio Reyna, with his reserve goalkeeper, Nicky Weaver, and ordering David James to play as a centre-forward.

It scarcely seemed to matter that Pearce actually had a £5m striker, Jon Macken, sitting on the bench with a look of horror on his face. As Weaver went into goal, James tore off his gloves, put on an outfield shirt (1 Weaver) and lumbered into attack. Surreal? That would be an understatement.

"I sat at home on Saturday night and thought to myself: 'What shall I do if we're drawing the game late on and need to hit it long?'" explained Pearce. "I've got a good striker in Jon Macken, who is really disappointed, but I wanted to unsettle them and in some ways it did. It unsettled everyone . . . them and us."
  • I remember Gary Doherty going up front for Spurs in that FA cup match when we were 2-0 up (I think)......totally changed the game.
  • Scoham said:

Dazzler21 said:

wmcf123 said:

Bikey
    Bless you!
  • Best keep our eyes on the betting odds.. he'll be into the 50's+ late on in a match for the next goal. If we all pump enough on and he nets we can buy Roly out ourselves.

I took advantage of a similar situation when the bookies hadn't caught up with the fact that Ian Pearce was going to be playing up front for West Ham. Think he was 66/1 - needless to say he didn't score!
  • Leuth said:

redman said:

And scored in the Champions League.
  • There's been quite a few players who could play at the back or up front.....and they all had to start somewhere. If we are chasing the game and want to unsettle a defence, why not? If Magennis is injured and we want height and power, why not try it?
  • Playing Sarr up front for the last 10 minutes or so if we needed to nick a goal was suggested back when we played Walsall in September!

It would give big Mac support as he is such a unit, a good header of the ball, give the defence something new to contend with, and he is a good passer of the ball.

Not sure he is ready to start though!!
  • Might it not have been an idea, if Robinson believes that there is mileage in this, to have played Sarr up front last night? I would have though that this was exactly the type of competition to experiment like that.