Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Karlan Ahearne Grant (Joins Crawley on loan - Page 6)

Comments

• Simply not good enough. Had a chance to prove himself on loan at Cambridge, they sent him back because he was not good enough.

That says it all to me.
  • Made his debut at Bournemouth in October '14.

If he has not established himself by now I don't think he ever will. I do concede that the constant changing of managers would have possibly hindered his development.

His first start was at Bournemouth. He made his debut a couple of weeks before at Norwich as a late sub.
  • Many being very tough. Case in point r.e the loan is Harry Kane - saw him a few times for Leicester on loan scored 2 in 13 and looked pretty gash tbh. Goes back to spurs and look at him now, one of the best strikers in the world. Confidence is the main thing for a striker when they have the basic attributes as a foundation which KAG certainly does.
  • Ben18 said:

Made his debut at Bournemouth in October '14.

If he has not established himself by now I don't think he ever will. I do concede that the constant changing of managers would have possibly hindered his development.

His first start was at Bournemouth. He made his debut a couple of weeks before at Norwich as a late sub.
    Even worse!
  • Sage said:

Cafc43v3r said:

How many first team games had Parker played for us at 20?

In 2000/01 season he played a total of 31 times, scoring twice but he was never meant to be in the team to be scoring. At the age of 20, Parker had played 60 times between the premier league and championship. KAG has played 53 times, scoring 3 at the same age in lower divisions.

But let’s be honest, it would be silly to compare KAG with Parker.
    Sorry it wasn't a direct comparison, but Parker had been in and around the team for about 3 seasons with out having much of an impact. Apart from a second half substitute appearance at Fulham (very similar to Kag), I don't remember him pulling up any trees.

He then went on loan to Norwich and came back into the team at man city in December 00 and was a different player. If Parker was judged on his contribution before that game we would all agree it would be unfair.

In short Kag needs a run of games out on loan and COULD come back a different player.
  • MLSMLS
    edited November 2017
    I'd rather have Avram Grant up top.
  • edited November 2017
    If you are not good enough, you aren't good enough regardless whether he is one of our own or been mis-managed.

Don't think he brings anything to our current set up wide/ up front or behind the striker so feel he should go League 2 if thats an option.

Agree he will be another Joe Pigott (who i used to think would make it) will end up league 2/Conference.

Wouldn't mind if he proved me wrong on any part but nothing he has shown to date would suggest he would be a loss.

Would rather RHF given more of a chance or Umerah if we dont sign anyone capable to replace/ challenge big Josh.
  • To even try to draw comparisons with KAG and Parker is ridiculous.
    Parker was a top premier league footballer and KAG isn't even good enough for league one.
  • Another thing has to be position. When was the last time (if ever) KAG has started a first team game up front? He is normally coming on as a sub for the last 15 minutes out wide and then critised for plaing "too much like a winger".
  • Many being very tough. Case in point r.e the loan is Harry Kane - saw him a few times for Leicester on loan scored 2 in 13 and looked pretty gash tbh. Goes back to spurs and look at him now, one of the best strikers in the world. Confidence is the main thing for a striker when they have the basic attributes as a foundation which KAG certainly does.

Harry Kane single handily turned a competent, but pretty useless in front of goal, Millwall team into a lively threatening team. He even made Andy Keogh near on prolific, and that was almost absolutely all down to Kane: Won him a lot of penalties. At Leicester he was coming back from injury and rarely started. Kane will more often than not push towards goal. Always did, always will. Would have struggled to score for Norwich, and not easy from the bench for Pearson as Vardy found. Unfortunately if KAG doesn't it's unlikely to change now. Lisbie and Grant struggled with this and they both were more talented.
  • Sponsored links:

• ColinTat said:

Many being very tough. Case in point r.e the loan is Harry Kane - saw him a few times for Leicester on loan scored 2 in 13 and looked pretty gash tbh. Goes back to spurs and look at him now, one of the best strikers in the world. Confidence is the main thing for a striker when they have the basic attributes as a foundation which KAG certainly does.

Harry Kane single handily turned a competent, but pretty useless in front of goal, Millwall team into a lively threatening team. He even made Andy Keogh near on prolific, and that was almost absolutely all down to Kane: Won him a lot of penalties. At Leicester he was coming back from injury and rarely started. Kane will more often than not push towards goal. Always did, always will. Would have struggled to score for Norwich, and not easy from the bench for Pearson as Vardy found. Unfortunately if KAG doesn't it's unlikely to change now. Lisbie and Grant struggled with this and they both were more talented.
    Cheers Colin.
  • To even try to draw comparisons with KAG and Parker is ridiculous.
    Parker was a top premier league footballer and KAG isn't even good enough for league one.

I wasn't comparing them as footballers, but where they are/were in their development at a similar age.

• Cafc43v3r said:

To even try to draw comparisons with KAG and Parker is ridiculous.

I wasn't comparing them as footballers, but where they are/were in their development at a similar age.

Fair point.
    I still doubt KAG will ever play above league one level though.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Fair point.
    Already played in the championship
  • Dazzler21 said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Fair point.
    Already played in the championship
    Yes and got relegated he won't play there again.
  • J BLOCK said:

He'll be playing non league within 2 years

Unfortunately this is true! A shame because he showed real promise in the championship at such a young age.
  • How about some respect for one of our own? I suspect his confidence is already low. Just hope he doesn't open this thread but suspect he already has. good work.

I love the fact he's one of our own , he's still young and could definitely get better , on Sunday he was bearing down on goal could of got a shot in but went wider and tried a cross! I was willing the lad to shoot!
  • edited November 2017
    I’d have played him up front instead of Dodoo in tonight’s game. Not saying he i particulary rate him , but probably deserves a chance in his favoured position.
  • Karlan is preparing himself for non-league football and a second job to boost his income.
  • Sponsored links:

• KAG isn't good enough... just like Nick Pope wasn't good enough and Simon Francis wasn't good enough etc etc. So many experts sitting in our stands.

Write him off at your peril. Still got plenty of development in him and can make a decent career for himself.

Experts sitting in our stands. Are they the ones that turn up every week or fortnight and actually watch the game ? The ones that see who is performing, who makes the effort, who stands around not contributing, who cheer and clap and encourage players that have a go even when it doesn’t quite work ? What do they know, eh ?
  • KAG isn't good enough... just like Nick Pope wasn't good enough and Simon Francis wasn't good enough etc etc. So many experts sitting in our stands.

Write him off at your peril. Still got plenty of development in him and can make a decent career for himself.

While Danny Green and Yassin Moutaouakil were class acts. We had no chance of signing a quality striker like Nicky Ajose.

It works both ways. I wouldn't right him off having a decent career as you say but I think he's shown less than Pope and Francis did.

If he does prove a lot of people wrong I expect it'll be after several seasons of working himself back up the leagues. Regular football at a lower level might be what he needs, rather than being a back up player for us.

I take your point re: Francis, although he wasn't a youngster just didnt work out.

Pope cant say i heard many people get on his back he was just taken by a premiership club.

I still hope he can make it with us some day, but the time is running out and he will have to prove his worth before january imo or he might be offski.
  • Based on his current strike rate I can't see why we'd keep him.

Yes: he might be a late developer, but having watched him in about 15-20 games now I'd say he'll be a League One/League Two player for most of his career.
  • Come on KAG, kick on from here. Always had faith since you were chucked in the first team at 17.
  • Play him as a striker in a 4-4-2 might help.
  • Well done Karlan. I hope you prove me wrong.
  • Well done Karlan. Pleased for him, however still not sure with him.
    Keep scoring then I'm sure I can be persuaded
  • He really hasn't been good enough so far for us, but I really do think there is something about him.

Hope he kicks on from here, because I think there is a really good player in there somewhere.
  • 1 goal means nothing but good luck to him, hope he kicks on and proves us wrong.