Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CL's Favourite Albums QF 4: Blood on the Tracks vs Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Album Name: Blood on the Tracks
Artist: Bob Dylan
Release Year: 1975

1. Tangled up in Blue
2. Simple Twist of Fate
3. You're a Big Girl
4. Idiot Wind
5. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
6. Meet Me in the Morning
7. Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
8. If You See Her, Say Hello
9. Shelter From the Storm
10. Buckets of Rain

https://open.spotify.com/album/4WD4pslu83FF6oMa1e19mF

Album Name: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Artist: The Beatles
Release Year: 1967

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. With a Little Help from My Friends
3. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
4. Getting Better
5. Fixing a Hole
6. She's Leaving Home
7. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
8. Within You Without You
9. When I'm Sixty-Four
10. Lovely Rita
11. Good Morning Good Morning
12. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
13. A Day in the Life

https://open.spotify.com/album/1PULmKbHeOqlkIwcDMNwD4

A bit of a miss match for our last quarter-final.

In the round of 16, Sgt. Pepper overcame the album that scored by far the most votes in the first round (The Stone Roses). Blood on the Tracks comfortably beat The Yes Album.

Comments

• SPLHCB
  • Blood on the tracks.

Never really liked sergeant peppers, in particular the title track and when I’m 64 grated particularly when I first listened to it and have only got slightly better over time.

Blood on the tracks I love every song on and have done since first hearing it.
  • Blood on the tracks

A work of genius with Dylan at his lyrical best, the anger and dismay of the break up with his wife dripping from his very soul.

Pepper was groundbreaking and has some brilliant tracks but it is patchy and now sounds of its time while Blood on the tracks is a timeless classic.
  • Peppers full stop. Non contest.
  • Blood on The Tracks

Tangled up in blue is just awesome
  • I'm going for Pepper. BotT is great for sure, but it has one or two surprisingly dodgy lyrics for a Dylan album and if I'm being very harsh (which you have to be at this stage) it's slightly one dimensional. Admittedly it's a pretty astonishing dimension, but Pepper is a kaleidescope.

So Pepper.
  • BOTT - one of Dylan's best.

(Beatles sound dated but loved it when first released.)
  • Sponsored links:

• This is the most difficult decision yet. Sgt Peppers first ever album I owned! Have both and on vinyl...But Dylan album a classic and the lyrics and consistency...

My vote goes to Blood on the Tracks!
  • Sgt Pepper
  • Sgt Pepper wins for me.

Never been a huge Dylan fan.
  • edited November 2017
    PopIcon said:

Sgt Pepper wins for me.

Never been a huge Dylan fan.

I’m with you on this one.

As much as I try and get into Dylan because so many seem to cream their pants when talking about him, there’s just something that stops me. I’ll acknowledge his written and recorded some mighty fine tracks but I find it difficult to listen to an album all the way through.

I gave BOTT a listen the other day and, well, maybe it’s the harmonica, perhaps too much of it, dunno can’t put my finger on it.

Pepper, without the salt for me.
  • Pepper
  • Pepper
  • I’m for Pepper.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pepper.

Bob's good, but I can't not vote for SPLHCB because When I'm 64 means so much to me now, having lost my beloved stepfather two years ago. He was such a huge Beatles fan and he finally succumbed to the bastard that is leukaemia one week after his 64th birthday. Now the song makes me laugh and cry in equal amounts because it reminds me of him.
    To be fair, I always liked the album anyway (though not that song in particular), but now it just means that little bit more to me.
  • Sergeant Pepper.

Just watched the documentary "It Was Fifty Years Ago Today" on Netflix. Very odd in that it was about Sergeant Pepper and what was going on with The Beatles in and around 1967 but they had no Beatles music nor did they show the album cover in full. Nothing controversial so I assume just copyright issues.

• Not enough Lennon songs in Sgt. Pepper's
    Too many Dylan songs in Blood on the tracks...
    The White Album wins.
    Awright then, Blood on the Tracks...
  • edited November 2017
    Sorry, posted double, dodgy reception fucking Telstra
  • For me Blood On The Tracks is Bob's greatest album, from the start of Tangled Up In Blue to the end of Buckets Of Rain a masterpiece.
    I love the Beatles and Pepper is a landmark album.
    BOTT is my vote
  • Pepper is iconic but Blood on the Tracks is incomparable.

Bobby for me.
  • It’s Pepper from here.
  • BOTT
    Pepper is pure unadulterated pop.
    BOTT - is a laster, withstands constant playing unlike Pepper in fact i might dig our BOTT and give it some plays today.
  • edited November 2017
    Ah come on - Blood on the Tracks.
  • BOTT
    Pepper is pure unadulterated pop.
    BOTT - is a laster, withstands constant playing unlike Pepper in fact i might dig our BOTT and give it some plays today.

And arguably perhaps therein lies the futility of comparing one album against another made nearly 10 years later.
    What could Pepper possibly be other than Pop?
    That was pretty much all there was in 1967.
    To use the term unadulterated is to lazily ignore just how much the Beatles had developed the possibilities of the 3 minute Pop song.
    Compare it to any other pop album of the time.
    Even the fledgeling pop/rock pioneers like Hendrix, Cream or Traffic were aware of the importance of a commercial 3 minute Pop hit at that time.

I realise I am taking this all a bit too seriously, but I hate to see Pepper dismissed so casually.

In fact I'd argue that Pepper itself by it's very success, and the experimental nature of songs like A day in the life and Within you Without you, opened up the possibilities.
    Pop became rock, psychedelia morphed into Prog.
    By 1971 albums began to outsell singles and became the de facto artistic statement.
    By then the Beatles were no more.
    They had burst onto a music scene that was strictly a teen market, where the artist had a short shelf life and the audience "grew out of it" when they became an adult.
    Instead they carried their audience through and mirrored their changes and the music became more sophisticated as the audience grew up.
    In a sense they missed out on the enduring legacy of mature lyrical sophistication and musical experimentation that they themselves had kick-started.
    Our generation, the Beatles generation, never did " grow up", we just got older and the music grew and developed with us.
    Thus Bob Dylan could make an album like Blood on the Tracks, without it being an acoustic folk album with an amusing harmonica trill at the end of each verse.
    Who knows what sort of album the Beatles would have made in 1975 or 1985 or 1995?
    Maybe they were a spent force anyway - the solo albums couldn't get near them.
    It was left for others to take up the mantle.
    The Beatles had led the revolution, a "revolution in the head" as writer Ian MacDonald put it.
    Sadly in time that will be forgotten and the songs left to stand or fall on their merits.
    And if some sound naive and dated it is because the Beatles themselves rendered them so.