Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Leon Clarke Hat trick

Comments

• so surprised - when he played for us he looked slow & useless. Now is has become un-charltonised he is scoring for fun.
  • Four today !!!!!!
  • Playing for a proper side
  • edited November 2017
    I refer to my earlier statement ?

Looking poor for CAFC has no bearing on future Career.

Simon Francis and Nick Pope seem to be doing OK in the Prem.
    Both had good and bad games for CAFC.

Clarke was played out wide in one game when he came on as sub !

Always been a penalty area player.
    Looked moody at Charlton and never settled in.
  • Sell him, and while your at it sell Popey as well.
  • The first ever player to arrive already Charltonised without even kicking a ball to then moving on Un-Charltonised.

Usually it's the other way round.
  • Good manager does wonders.
  • When you have such a high turnover rate in players as we've had over the last decade or so, there are bound to be players who go on to look brilliant elsewhere. If you'd asked me at the time I would have thought Andy Reid (with the caveat that he's always injured) and Frazer Richardson would go on to have really good careers after us, and neither have done much since.

I never particularly rated Leon Clarke. We let him go when we were in the Championship, and I personally thought he was a mid-table League One player. Credit to him for doing it for a couple years on the bounce in League One then making the step up.
  • Playing for a proper side

The side we had when Clarke joined us was most definitely a proper side...but one which didn't need him
  • Who does he play for now then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Who does he play for now then?

Sheffield United - who currently lie in 2nd place in the Championship under a manager who took them up from League 1 and might take them to the PL too.

Clarke has scored 75 goals in 144 starts since he left us.

One wouldn't come to us. The other we let go.
  • Clarke was never moody about being with us, was just a shame one of many Charlton managers wasn't willing to persist with him.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Clarke was never moody about being with us, was just a shame one of many Charlton managers wasn't willing to persist with him.

Is it a shame though? We were in the Championship and there wasn't anything until this year to really indicate that he was of Championship quality. Sometimes players just go on to do good things after they leave you.
  • edited November 2017
    SDAddick said:

Dazzler21 said:

Clarke was never moody about being with us, was just a shame one of many Charlton managers wasn't willing to persist with him.

Is it a shame though? We were in the Championship and there wasn't anything until this year to really indicate that he was of Championship quality we completely fucked up our player recruitment. Sometimes players just go on to do good things after they leave you Charlton.
    Fixed. ;-)
  • He's a funny player-every time I watch him play he looks like a clueless glove wearing cart horse. But then he pops up with a goal or two. Very strange.
  • HandG said:

He's a funny player-every time I watch him play he looks like a clueless glove wearing cart horse. But then he pops up with a goal or two. Very strange.

Or four for a side challenging for promotion to the PL.

• Dazzler21 said:

He was only with us for just over a year and the only Charlton manager he had was Chris Powell.
  • iaitch said:

Dazzler21 said:

He was only with us for just over a year and the only Charlton manager he had was Chris Powell.
    Was never going to take Yann's place either and probably not suited to playing along side him.
  • Career took a massive boost when he found out Charlton supporters didn’t rate him.
  • HandG said:

He's a funny player-every time I watch him play he looks like a clueless glove wearing cart horse. But then he pops up with a goal or two. Very strange.

Or four for a side challenging for promotion to the PL.

Yeah, maybe I need to give him another chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Last seen running through treacle on the right wing at the Valley.
    Who'd a thought?
  • Leon Clarke wanted out for a long time. He wasn’t very good for us and didn’t really offer us anything at the time. I remember watching him in a behind closed doors friendly against a Spanish team of trialist, okay it was a friendly but he put in the most pathetic performance I’ve ever seen, he just didn’t move. That day we had Fox, Ajayi, Poyet etc all playing. So to say he wasn’t moody is exactly not true. You can ask Chris Powell and Paul Hart and they’ll say the same.
  • Clarke had a major bust-up with the Swindon manager, Paolo di Canio, and Powell acquired him for the 2012-13 season. Played only seven games, without scoring, yet scored 11 in 15 games on loan at Scunny. The following season Clarke scored an impressive 23 goals in 34 games for Coventry.
  • edited November 2017

Last seen running through treacle on the right wing at the Valley.
    Who'd a thought?

Yes that is (was) an enduring image for anybody there that day.

Can hardly believe it's same player! Has he got a twin brother he sent to us?
  • Another hat trick tonight but Sheff Utd still lost 4-5.

Clarke might have scored 8 goals in his last 3 games but he's still a poor man's Josh Magennis.
  • Hope he gets another against Millwall in a couple of weeks

Clarke might have scored 8 goals in his last 3 games but he's still a poor man's Josh Magennis.

Sessegnon of Fulham also scored a hat trick and he's only 17. Great talent.

And he's a full-back

And he could have scored a hat-trick against Newcastle aged 16 but his captain didn't let him take a penalty even though they were four up. And then missed
  • Leuth said:

Another hat trick tonight but Sheff Utd still lost 4-5.

And he's a full-back

And he could have scored a hat-trick against Newcastle aged 16 but his captain didn't let him take a penalty even though they were four up. And then missed
    He's a hat trick scoring full back? Not the sort of player Tony Pulis would be interested in.
  • Leuth said:

Another hat trick tonight but Sheff Utd still lost 4-5.

And he's a full-back

He's a hat trick scoring full back? Not the sort of player Tony Pulis would be interested in.
    Indeed I can picture Pulis shouting 'get back in your own half' every time he has the ball.