Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Truro City | Sun 05 Nov | 2pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Truro City
Sunday 5th November 2017 … 2pm Kick-Off
FA Cup First Round

Introduction

Three months ago on a Friday night; Crowborough Athletic kicked off their season with a 2-0 win over Lingfield… A match that had nothing to do with Charlton yet that match was one of four to commence the FA Cup for the 2017/18 and prove how long the historic competition is… Seven Qualifying rounds later and we’re here, at the FA Cup First Round, where the semi-professionals meet the professionals and where Charlton this season hope to avoid becoming the latest Goliath… the David this season? – Truro City!!

The Opposition
Name: Truro City | Manager: Lee Hodges
Division: National League South

First off have to give my thanks to the News Shopper for providing a lot of the research used here yet there is no other way of putting it… Quite bluntly; Football in Cornwall is something that has never really taken off, maybe because it’s a county in England a good few hours from any Major City yet the fact remains that Cornwall have never had a team in the Football League… Many have tried, yet maybe Truro City will be that side.

Truro as a Football club have in fact been around longer than ourselves; formed in 1889, the White Tigers only really came to the fore over 100-years later when in 2007 they won the FA Vase. That was followed by a swift rise through the lower leagues, when in 2011; Truro made the leap to the Conference South; sadly financial issues began to have a say and that rise ended quite quickly… Truro though, failing to give up on their Football League dream have once again returned to the sixth tier and are regular visitors to this region with games against our locals; Welling and Dartford… Cornwall in the Football League, might one day happen!!

Yet of course this is the FA Cup and not the league that we’re talking about and with Truro in First Round they also become the first Cornish team at this stage since Falmouth Town in 1969… A win against Hampton & Richmond at the last Qualifying stage setup this encounter and Manager: Lee Hodges will certainly be hoping that this isn’t the end to their adventure!!

Charlton Team News
Standing in the way of Truro and a second round appearance is of course Karl Robinson and his Charlton side and with yet another cup game coming on Tuesday it’s understandable that there has been a lot of rotation going on of late… Thankfully Robinson has once again saved me from guessing the squad by announcing the first eleven and with the U23s in their own cup competition last night (losing 3-2 to Stoke City), it’s unlikely that many academy players will be called upon.

Phillips
Solly | Konsa | Sarr | Dasilva
Jackson | Forster-Caskey
Marshall | Reeves | Holmes
Dodoo

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Bauer | Dijksteel | Aribo | Clarke | Fosu | Ahearne-Grant

Prediction
The memory of Northwich Victoria has long gone… Our worst day in the FA Cup coming on that day has been replaced by the 4-0 win over Halifax Town in our League One title year and with yet another strong Charlton team I see the Addicks being too strong for their Cornish opponents.

Comments

• For what it's worth this would be my team:
    Phillips
    Solly Bauer Sarr Mascoll
    ......... Dijksteel Aribo
    Marshall Reeves KAG
    ..........Dodoo

I'd rest Konsa and DaSilva as both will be on England duty next week, maybe have them on the bench maybe not.
  • No upset here.
    5.0 Charlton
    The march to Wembley begins
  • SDAddick said:

For what it's worth this would be my team:
    Phillips
    Solly Bauer Sarr Mascoll
    ......... Dijksteel Aribo
    Marshall Reeves KAG
    ..........Dodoo

I'd rest Konsa and DaSilva as both will be on England duty next week, maybe have them on the bench maybe not.

Not a bad shout, possibly give Solly extra rest, move Djiksteel to RB and play JJ.
  • 3-0 all the goals in the second half.
  • SDAddick said:

I would be very disappointed if Jackson starts ahead of Aribo and Dijksteel, and if I were either of them I'd be fuming. This is the perfect chance for either of them to show what they can do. Aribo by all accounts was very good on Wednesday and Dijksteel is our most natural replacement for Kashi. We have kept these youngsters instead of loaning them out, and that means we have to play them. Both of them are too good for U23 football and it wouldn't surprise me if after this week rumors of Dijksteel wanting away resurface.

Agreed Id start Dijksteel instead of Jackson... I know the latter is a great servant for the club but believe he should only be used in case of emergencies now

Being 1-0 up on Sunday with 20mins left and Truro all over us would make sense for the swap but not before then I dont think!!
  • If we go in confident, without fear and non-complacent we should see them off.
  • SDAddick said:

I would be very disappointed if Jackson starts ahead of Aribo and Dijksteel, and if I were either of them I'd be fuming. This is the perfect chance for either of them to show what they can do. Aribo by all accounts was very good on Wednesday and Dijksteel is our most natural replacement for Kashi. We have kept these youngsters instead of loaning them out, and that means we have to play them. Both of them are too good for U23 football and it wouldn't surprise me if after this week rumors of Dijksteel wanting away resurface.

I'm sure Aribo and Djiksteel have both been promised 90 minutes on Tuesday
  • This game makes me nervous. Let's hope it is more Tonbridge than Northwich!
  • Sponsored links:

• Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.

Gotta be finally right for once!!
  • Amos

Solly, Bauer, Sarr, JDS

Konsa, Caskey

Marshall, reeves, Holmes

Dodoo

• wmcf123 said:

Amos

Solly, Bauer, Sarr, JDS

Konsa, Caskey

Marshall, reeves, Holmes

Dodoo

Robinson has already named the team.

• edited November 2017
    I see an upset coming. Not like me to be negative but we are never any good against lower league clubs & with Dodoo leading the front line only the midfield will be able to score any goals - and that means all the weights on Ricky's shoulders as Fosu looks to be starting on the bench.

Speaking of the bench - if we do happen to be 1-0 down with 20 mins to go who are we going to throw on to grab an equaliser ???? What's for certain is that we wont be scoring the 4, 5 & 6's like some of our counterparts.

0-1 and a rest on December 2nd.
  • I also fancy an upset in this one

2-0 Charlton
  • Just noticed in the BBC report on the Bromley match it states that a "triallist" has come on as sub for Bromley. How the hell can a triallist play in an FA Cup match? Has the oldest competition in the world really sunk this low?

• Just noticed in the BBC report on the Bromley match it states that a "triallist" has come on as sub for Bromley. How the hell can a triallist play in an FA Cup match? Has the oldest competition in the world really sunk this low?

Seems like typical BBC reporting as Bromley have named every sub that they've made...

• See what you mean though; thats fucking embarrassing from the BBC
  • 3-1
    Aribo, Bauer and a rare KAG goal
  • Sponsored links:

Just noticed in the BBC report on the Bromley match it states that a "triallist" has come on as sub for Bromley. How the hell can a triallist play in an FA Cup match? Has the oldest competition in the world really sunk this low?

You owe the BBC an apology @athelstan @ForeverAddickted

• Not as comfortable as we would hope. Truro give us a fright but we come through 2 - 1

Just noticed in the BBC report on the Bromley match it states that a "triallist" has come on as sub for Bromley. How the hell can a triallist play in an FA Cup match? Has the oldest competition in the world really sunk this low?

You owe the BBC an apology @athelstan @ForeverAddickted

FFS... lol!
  • 0-1 Can then concentrate on the league
  • I see an upset coming. Not like me to be negative but we are never any good against lower league clubs & with Dodoo leading the front line only the midfield will be able to score any goals - and that means all the weights on Ricky's shoulders as Fosu looks to be starting on the bench.

Speaking of the bench - if we do happen to be 1-0 down with 20 mins to go who are we going to throw on to grab an equaliser ???? What's for certain is that we wont be scoring the 4, 5 & 6's like some of our counterparts.

0-1 and a rest on December 2nd.

Golfie are you being ironic/joking ? Not like you to be negative ?
  • They score early doors, we run out 3-1 winners.
  • Tense first 60 minutes , but superior fitness / ability will see a 3-0 home win .
  • No sentiment here 4-1.
  • 5 - 1

Early goals make it a walk in park

Jackson gets his last ever Charlton goal.
  • Charlton play a strong side with the Shrewsbury game off.

6-1
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!