Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Refereeing

Going on from KR's earlier press conference he stated Refs should come out and answer questions.

I disagree on this point from KR as I can't see how the referee would benefit.

It would essentially be ref you got that, that and that wrong why?

Anyone see any benefit to this?

Comments

• Howard Webb said he wished he could come out and explain his decision after the game. Even if he'd made a mistake he wanted to say what he saw and why he did/didn't give a red card or whatever. But was never allowed to.
  • edited February 2017
    I think it'd give referees a whole lot more credibility if they came out and did exactly what Howard Webb said. No doubt a few of them are absolute cocks and wouldn't do themselves any favours (e.g. Stroud - "I just really love sending off Charlton players"), but I think the majority would be lot more relate-able and it'd do the game as a whole a bit of good.

Maybe I'm deluded, but when a referee is taking an earful from a Roy Keane type on the pitch and being called every word under the sun - people might think "leave it out, Uriah Rennie's an alright bloke". Maybe that's a stretch too far - but the Celebrity Refs Twitter page would certainly be a delight.

Referees should never be hauled out in front of the cameras if they make a mistake, but if they choose to explain a decision they should be allowed to. At the moment the managers come out and slate them in press conferences having had a look at the video and refs can't put their side out.
  • I think Referees should come out and explain decisions after matches but I dont think they should be questioned.

It should be a case of the Managers each asking the Referee to explain a single decision each in the background with the Referee then coming on screen to basically explain that. i.e. Karl Robinson could have asked Stroud to explain why our goal was disallowed whilst Neil Harris could have tried asking why Steve Morrison is such a prat.

Stroud then comes on camera says: I disallowed the second Charlton goal because both myself and my Assistant "Whatever they're called" felt that there was a foul on the Goalkeeper... On the matter of whether Steve Morrison is a twat, no one can explain that.

Yes its not given us the goal or explained why Morrison is a prick but at least we've been given his point of view on the matter.

For the Referee then to be asked a question by Olly or whoever: "Yes but you could have just cost us promotion at the end of the season, what are you going to do to ensure this type of thing doesnt happen again" is pointless as no amount of questioning is going to give us the goal and I dont really care how the Referee is going to correct their error in future matches.
  • Speaking as a referee, it would be great if they could explain decisions after the game. It would help to counter the (often) misinformed comments by commentators, pundits, managers and ex-players who either don't know the laws of the game as well as they think they do or are looking to be deliberately controversial in an attention seeking way. The mere presence of Howard Webb and his common sense explanations for the BT Sport matches seems to help curb some of the more stupid, inflammatory comments. Then again, if it was Jeff Winter, Mark Halsey, Graham Poll etc..........
  • If refs were given airtime after a game we'd probably end up back in the 1960s/1970s when you'd get the impression that some refs thought fans had gone to a game to see them and not two teams play football. The current system works well for the most part and the only improvement should be tv replays for controversial decisions. It's not rocket science and it works well in other sports.
  • edited February 2017
    Maybe not be interogated, but I think they should be allowed to make a statement. Unless they are bent, they will have had a reason for making a controversial decision, even if it is wrong, and a short statement by the ref published after every game would increase understanding.

IN the case of Keith Stroud, we still don't know why he mad ethe mistake he did against Millwall. I currently despise the bloke - of course that is as far as it will go for me and 99.999999% of fans, but it isn't healthy having people hate you when it only needs one idiot! If he explained how he made the mistake he did - we know he apologised to Robinson, it we would still be angry but I would say a little less so! We all make mistakes after all.
  • Evening all.

I have to ref my son's U11 match on Sunday morning.

Now I've played and watched many matches, even ran the line for a few, but never been the man in the middle.

Fortunately the vibe from the parents and team management is very much "let the kids just enjoy themselves", so I'm unlikely to get abuse, but it would be good if there are any refs on here who can give me a few tricks of the trade, things to watch out for etc.?

Thanks in advance.
  • I reffed U11 to U15 for many years.

Be confident, and remember to explain your decisions (to younger players).

If no Lino, then any dubious throw-ins / corners - watch the players for a split second as usually the "right" player goes to collect the ball, if in doubt ask the players (you will be surprised at young player honesty) or the parents.

Finally........keep these words in mind:

"I can only give what I see"

Good Luck
  • Have a loud voice and be prepared to yell 'play on' a lot.
    Give 8 yard decisions, you'll be closer than most of the players.
    With this age group be very mindful of safety and injuries.
  • edited November 2017
    Tell them anyone who gives you back chat will get a fucking good kicking after the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• For positioning go from one corner flag to the corner flag on a diagonal line, opposite to the quarters your linesman are dealing with
  • If any parents or whoever are doing the line, tell them to clearly state the ball in and out of play, and which way it's gone and offside, tell them if in any doubt to go with the defence. Tell them you intend to keep up with play so they don't give fouls, you do.
  • Just remember you are refereeing kids, which means stopping the game for any injuries (parents get worried about their childs welfare). Also stop the game when the players boot laces undo. Also remember it is a learning process for kids of that age; dont therefore award a foul throw - instead advise the thrower and allow him to take the throw again. Enjoy.
  • I missed the most important tip. First appraise yourself with the variations to the standard Laws of the Game. At under 7s and similar age groups, offside is not used ( at least in my area) and back passes to the keeper are not penalised. Playing time can vary, such as a game could consist of 4 quarters of 15 mins per quarter.
  • Update.

Thanks to all who gave advice. It came in very useful this morning when refereeing and I was grateful, especially as everyone seemed to think I did a decent enough job.

I have to say it made me realise how much refereeing requires you to be able to concentrate on so many things at once.

My lad thought I was a dodgy ref, but that was just because his side lost!

Thanks again.
  • Here in Oz the Rugby League referees will come out occasionally and explain in the media why they made a particular call - happens a couple of times per season.

They also come out publicly and cough up when they made a mistake but I am not sure it really helps the overall process.

The issue with football is that decisions are subjective, in cricket technology means you can make a decision a clear technical one whereas in football a decision on a penalty will be down to a person interpretation of what you see.

I was watching the MLS the other day and noticed that they are using on-field video technology there for penalties and free-kicks - would be keen to know how this is working out.