Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Online purchase advice/website issues

Can anyone advise please

A friend has a clothing website that I built for them, all works fine and has done for years, but today it’s gone a bit loopy and a woman has ordered two items and it’s showing a £0.00 outstanding balance.
My friend has explained that it’s an internet issue which will be sorted, but this woman is threatening small claims court etc

The website is showing the correct price, so it appears to be in the order processing process, which I will look at, where does my friend stand legally on any claim for free items?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    Who's the payment provider?
  • Options
    Stripe
  • Options
    Check with them if they took the money, but if not, ask the customer to show proof they have paid (ie bank/credit card statement)

Ultimately, if no payment has been taken, there's no obligation to send anything.
  • Options
    I’d be interested to know this too. I think that, in a shop, it doesn’t matter what the price on the shop floor is - you’re entering into a deal at the counter. I read that it’s a myth that shops have to sell at the price on the shop floor. But how that translates to websites, I don’t know.
  • Options
    I remember a case with tesco having a mistake on their website, flogging TVs for some ridiculous price, you might want to google about that for a clearer answer about the case law.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I’d be interested to know this too. I think that, in a shop, it doesn’t matter what the price on the shop floor is - you’re entering into a deal at the counter. I read that it’s a myth that shops have to sell at the price on the shop floor. But how that translates to websites, I don’t know.

Yeah thats definitely seems a myth... the amount of times I've picked something up thinking its one price only to be told when paying its completely different, then when you explain the situation they just seen to go: "Oh sorry it was put in the wrong place" and still end up charging you for the actual price of it
  • Options
    Thanks all, it turns out, the original price was crossed out/struck through, and a sale price of £0.00 was shown, nothing I, or she did.