Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Music memories of the valley

Just read a post elsewhere about the peanut seller back in the 60s and 70s and a memory came straight back of waiting for kickoff and hearing 'love grows where my rosemary goes' also the theme for the nimble bread advert. Anyone else got any nostalgic music from those times?

Comments

• edited November 2017
    Regularly playing lieutenant Pigeon’s ‘Mouldy old dough’ over the tannoy in the 1970’s - must have been one of the only records in the clubs ‘collection’
  • "Into the Valley" and "Lets Get Ready to Go"

Two tunes I really enjoyed hearing one straight after the other prior to kick-off
  • With a packed Valley the teams coming back out to the Gladiator theme music, @BDL played it as the CL teams came out for the charity match it didn't quite sound as good. ;)
  • The Silexene paint advert.
  • can remember a few marching bands over the years
  • Never Gonna Give You Up is the theme for Selhurst Park to me. It was like being Rick-rolled every week, before that was a thing.
  • My first visit to The Valley was to see Simonsen's debut v Middlesbrough in 1982. Charlton ran out to the theme of Star Wars. And at the end of the game, I remember walking out over the grass hillock in the corner, to the strains of Zambezi by The Piranhas.

Pretty sure at the end of each Selhurst home game, The Look of Love, by ABC was played.
  • Every week without fail the tannoy bloke would announce "a happy birthday to John smith. He's requested the chart topping single by so and so. We don't have that but here's Spanish Eyes by Al Martino".
  • edited November 2017
    Simonsen said:

Pretty sure at the end of each Selhurst home game, The Look of Love, by ABC was played.

Oh yeah! That song reminds me of a flask of orange juice, jam sandwiches and a Yorkie bar while sitting in that shitty fucking family stand.
  • Not at The Valley, but 'Things can only get better' at half time at Old Trafford still lives long in the memory.
  • Sponsored links:

• Regularly playing lieutenant Pigeon’s ‘Mouldy old dough’ over the tannoy in the 1970’s - must have been one of the only records in the clubs ‘collection’

Oldham came out to that tune when we played there this season.
  • Seem to remember them playing You Ain't Seen Nothin Yet by Bachman–Turner Overdrive a lot in the 70's down at The Valley.
  • In the late 70's / early 80's "Congratulations" by Cliff Richard being played at the end of the game (if we won)

Also "Get Ready to Go" as mentioned above and my 2 favourites of the Premiership era - "C'mon, C'mon, C'mon" by Bryan Adams and "Simply the Best" by Tina Turner.

Also remember BDL playing "The Universal" by Blur, either before or after a game against Millwall (the win in 1995 ?) as it contains the line...."it really, really could happen"
  • Substitute The Who
    When we played at the Den, Send In The Clowns when Millwall came out
  • In the late 70's / early 80's "Congratulations" by Cliff Richard being played at the end of the game (if we won)

Also "Get Ready to Go" as mentioned above and my 2 favourites of the Premiership era - "C'mon, C'mon, C'mon" by Bryan Adams and "Simply the Best" by Tina Turner.

Also remember BDL playing "The Universal" by Blur, either before or after a game against Millwall (the win in 1995 ?) as it contains the line...."it really, really could happen"

Someone got it!!!!!!!! Love you Golfie ;-)
  • There was this Brian Adams song about wanting to win or some other such relevant sentiment. Happy days.
  • Rain Drops keep falling on head. My first game v Middlesbourough, March 1972, I think.

The song was the theme of the Film Butch Cassidy and the Sun Dance Kid, so by default the film always evokes Charlton Memories a swell.

For the record we lost of course 0-2, Nobby Stiles was playing for them.
  • McBobbin said:

There was this Brian Adams song about wanting to win or some other such relevant sentiment. Happy days.

This - used to love it when that came on
  • clive said:

Regularly playing lieutenant Pigeon’s ‘Mouldy old dough’ over the tannoy in the 1970’s - must have been one of the only records in the clubs ‘collection’

Oldham came out to that tune when we played there this season.
    It's probably still in the charts up there :smile:
  • Monkees - Pleasant Valley Sunday after a win on the Sabbath.

Tom Jones - Green Green Grass of Home - after playing on Chelsea's beach. Though I still think the club made an arse of itself agreeing to play and then complaining.

Tony Bennett - Singing Amarillo live on the pitch after we'd relegated Palace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Going out of the ground after that never to be forgotten play-off semi final game against Ipswich to the sound of Starship's 'Nothing's going to stop us now'
  • Not at The Valley, but 'Things can only get better' at half time at Old Trafford still lives long in the memory.

@Brendan_O_Connell my major association with that song is that day. It was a great day out, no matter the result and never prouder to be a Charlton fan
  • Into The Valley; London Calling; and - of course - the Red Red Robin are always going to be associated with Charlton.
  • Alex Harvey’s performance when supporting the Who, Delilah in particular.
  • Space Oddity drifting around the ground at half time when we played Oldham Athletic in 1975 (it was a re-release that year)
  • All I can remember in the mid 70’s was that we definitely had a copy of Abba’s Greatest Hits, because it was on from 2:30 onwards.
  • Re: the "old" Valley....the acoustics of playing vinyl records over a tannoy system in such a large open concrete arena led I think, to a kind of homely familiarity just as much as the records themselves.
  • Alex Harvey’s performance when supporting the Who, Delilah in particular.

This
  • is it just me or does anyone else remember a disproportionate amount of deacon blue from selhurst? it might have in my been one gane but it felt like a lot more for me
  • Carter said:

is it just me or does anyone else remember a disproportionate amount of deacon blue from selhurst? it might have in my been one gane but it felt like a lot more for me

This post started off quite well, but tailed off quite rapidly towards the end.