Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

recent sexual harassment allegations

edited November 2017 in Not Sports Related
so today, Michael Fallon resigns because he touched a reporters knee 15 years ago, and by all accounts she has dismissed it & is all water under the bridge.

Now I read that Dustin Hoffman touched a 17 year old girl & made sexual comments , back in 1985.

Is it me, or are we now going over the top with "historical sexual advances". Yes, they may not have been right or appropriate & shouldn't have happened, but they were years ago & hardly the crime of the century. I doubt whether either women now thinks about the incidents & hasn't affected their lives.

It happened, its in the past, lets move on.

Comments

• I seem to recall a former Manager of mine tapped me on the knee about 10 years ago. Think I might seek legal advice this morning.
  • I seem to recall a former Manager of mine tapped me on the knee about 10 years ago. Think I might seek legal advice this morning.

You probably enjoyed it.
  • Pretty sure it's going to be more to do with what's on the other list than making a pass at Julia Hartley-Brewer. He was the Defence Secretary and as such should be absolutely squeaky clean. The bigger story might br if his "penchants" were known and he was still appointed anyway.

• edited November 2017

I seem to recall a former Manager of mine tapped me on the knee about 10 years ago. Think I might seek legal advice this morning.

You probably enjoyed it.
    It’s left me scarred for life. I can’t undersand why I’ve not felt the need to report it before....
  • Sure I heard on the news that there's now a report of rape within political circles, not Fallon as the accused isn't actually an MP, but I reckon this is going to be the tip of a very big iceberg of inappropriate behavior through to more serious goings on, and could possibly shake the HoP to its foundations.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've seen a picture of the list they have for the Tories they have questions over, presumably it's doing the rounds on social media?
  • Apparently, there are at least forty MP's under scrutiny.
    Hardly leaders of men are they. Good grief.
  • A lot of men in positions of power abuse it - assuming some of the allegations are true it will hopefully promote a healthy dialogue.

Over the years I've witnessed numerous examples of racism, homophobia, sexism and bullying at work - most were pretty pathetic but it would be nice if we could get rid of some of this.

I hope the more serious cases are dealt with and it doesn't get hung up on more trivial cases.
  • There's been some sort of spreadsheet been released within Westminster that has names of MP's and the women they've reportedly been inappropriate with. My ex missus is on it and she's had to come out on twitter to deny her boss was anything other than completely professional. It's all very sad.
  • Sponsored links:

• There's been some sort of spreadsheet been released within Westminster that has names of MP's and the women they've reportedly been inappropriate with. My ex missus is on it and she's had to come out on twitter to deny her boss was anything other than completely professional. It's all very sad.

Wow, unbelievable that Gal
  • bobmunro said:

In an interview with Fallon yesterday he used the word 'occasionally' when describing his behaviour falling below expected standards - that indicates more than one instance and it appears from reports yesterday and today that this is indeed the case.

Any unwanted/unsolicited physical contact of a sexual nature is sexual assault. Zero tolerance. On that basis I absolutely disagree with the OP.

There is undoubtedly an issue with sexual harassment in some workplaces so a dialogue over this will make people rethink their behaviour if they can be called out for it.

• That spreadsheet is largely prurient tittle-tattle and can be disregarded. But actual allegations should always be taken seriously
  • edited November 2017

There's been some sort of spreadsheet been released within Westminster that has names of MP's and the women they've reportedly been inappropriate with. My ex missus is on it and she's had to come out on twitter to deny her boss was anything other than completely professional. It's all very sad.

Yet believable mate. Don't put anything past some politicians/media to use a situation as bad as this to push their own agenda and will detract from real victims.
  • My mother worked in the hospitality industry for 30 years, she told me yesterday if she took everyone to court who pinched her arse, made lewd comments about her boobs, bought her a drink in the hope to get off with her, she would be in court for the next 40 years.

As an apprentice in engineering many years ago, the treatment i got by being stripped naked, bollocks covered In blue, broomsticks up my arse, all part of being growing from a boy to a man, i wouldnt dream of making a complaint about them, and that was more humiliating and degrading than what is happening to some distressed individuals.

And before anyone gets on my case, my two younger brothers and myself were sexually abused by one of my uncles for years, no authority was interested and he was allowed to piss off to Australia where he lives today. I never think about it until these pathetic individuals keep whining on about someone touching their leg. No doubt big compo and 5 minures of fame will make some of them get over it.

My chasing women are long time over, i do feel sorry for guys chatting up girls these days.
  • so today, Michael Fallon resigns because he touched a reporters knee 15 years ago, and by all accounts she has dismissed it & is all water under the bridge.

Now I read that Dustin Hoffman touched a 17 year old girl & made sexual comments , back in 1985.

Is it me, or are we now going over the top with "historical sexual advances". Yes, they may not have been right or appropriate & shouldn't have happened, but they were years ago & hardly the crime of the century. I doubt whether either women now thinks about the incidents & hasn't affected their lives.

It happened, its in the past, lets move on.

Re final line.

Would you say this to a member of your family in the same situation?
    Lets just say that something did happen to me when I was a teenager - it would now be classed as sexual abuse but at the time I considered it as just part of growing up. It only happened once but it hasn't scarred me for life.

The 2 incidents I mentioned in my OP are far less worse & imo nothing to get hung up about. There might be more to Fallon but I was commenting on the reported incident with Hartley-Brewer.

Yet believable mate. Don't put anything past some politicians/media to use a situation as bad as this to push their own agenda and will detract from real victims.
    True
  • edited November 2017
    Okay, my two pennyworth.

First, a flashback. Remember the media banging on every day about dangerous dogs? We even ended up with an ill-thought out and badly drafted piece of legislation. Have dangerous dogs gone away now? No, of course not, it's just that nobody in the media can be arsed to report dog attacks much anymore - unless they are really serious. Anyway, the latest exposés are beginning to border upon mass hysteria.

We now have a rabid witch hunt of ancient incidents of people not covering themselves in glory. Things have not just moved on in the working environment they have turned daily life into the equivalent of a gathering of Quakers.

There can be no doubt, surely, that a percentage of these claims that are coming out of the woodwork are malicious, false allegations made solely in the hope of achieving some compo and/or a few seconds of fame? In any event the vast majority of them will be utterly impossible to prove.

Working environments everywhere were very different many years ago. Touching, fondling and much more were everyday events. Here's a few examples: blokes in a hot environment wearing nothing more than their overalls lying under printing machines while maintaining them and having their bollocks squeezed by the women workers. (Apparently they thought it funny when the engineer, in shock banged his head on a lump of metal); a secretary stuffing her hand down my trouser pocket to fondle my cock; another who lifted her top up and asked if I liked her bra and to guess her cup size (I got it right BTW); a female member of staff in a very short skirt, sent home for not wearing knickers; an infamous gang-bang at the company Sports Club. (When the story got back to the woman's boss he asked her if she wanted to make a complaint. She told him to mind his own fucking business: she'd instigated it); a girl that didn't get a bonus and shouted across the office at her boss "so the blow job wasn't any good then?"

Sure I have been deliberately one-sided here but you'll notice a theme. None of these instances involved men using their position/power to abuse young girls. This is not a one-way street.

Finally, a story I have told before. A few years after I packed up work - I guess I was around 57 years old at the time, a girl in her teens squeezed my bum and said "nice arse" as she walked by while I was waiting for my train at Stratford Station. At the time, although she was obviously more than a little drunk, I just felt a little chuffed. I realise now of course that I should have hunted down a police officer and made a complaint about a sexual assault.

A politician touching someone's knee - really? Is that the best they can come up with? It's all a little bit like the Loudun Possessions isn't it? When is Fallon getting burned at the stake? Will Corbyn, (some years after inviting his mates round to view a naked Diane Abbott in his bed) ask conference to change his job title to "Lord Protector"?

Am I glad I don't have to go to work anymore. It must be a puritanical nightmare! These days someone would probably complain about you if you complimented their frock or their new hairstyle.